Tesla plans to make humanoid robots

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,626
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Five years later...

While the company managed to ramp up production of its Optimus robot from a few dozen in Q2 to several hundred a week last month, as The Information reports, it’s running into some serious roadblocks that could endanger its ambitious plans of manufacturing more than 1,000 of them a week before the end of this year.

For one, most units aren’t actually being shipped to customers and instead are being used for internal testing and data collection. They’re also not being treated as general purpose machines, still being confined to complete simple, repetitive tasks.
That’s in part because the company is seriously struggling with durability and reliable assembly of the robot’s hands, according to The Information, a major engineering challenge Tesla has reportedly been struggling with for over a year now.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,075
SL Rez
2002
Yeah, these robots are scareware to me - for the moment they are just good enough to scare people who don't know better. Nothing more.

Just show me the manufacturing plant where they actually replaced human workers at large scale. I don't know any so far. What can be done by robots is already done in most plants by specialised robots.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,439
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Just show me the manufacturing plant where they actually replaced human workers at large scale. I don't know any so far. What can be done by robots is already done in most plants by specialised robots.
Yeah, I have no idea why any factory would want a fragile humanoid robot when you can have a super durable robot that amounts to a claw on an arm made of steel girders that will last for an eternity doing the same task a million times a day.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,865
SL Rez
2007
I kind of wonder if humanoid robots even make much sense for any application other than some sort of companion. Otherwise, it seems like there is often some other design that is more practical.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Khamon

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,439
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
I kind of wonder if humanoid robots even make much sense for any application other than some sort of companion. Otherwise, it seems like there is often some other design that is more practical.
I am sure Musk's unspoken plan is to try to clone his brain into one.

If he has not tried.

Or he will put Grok in one and just claim it's a clone.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,865
SL Rez
2007
I am sure Musk's unspoken plan is to try to clone his brain into one.

If he has not tried.

Or he will put Grok in one and just claim it's a clone.
I'm only half joking when I say I think a relatively likely cause of him dying prematurely is some botched effort to become a cyborg.

Astounding March 1943 starting page 79.

A robot dog is probably even a better companion.
I can buy/adopt real cats and dogs. I HOPE I never get that option with a human, lol.