SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Paypal bans Gab following Pittsburgh shooting

Earlier today, a gunman walked into the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and killed eleven people before being apprehended by police. The suspect has since been identified as 46-year-old Robert Bowers, who appears to have had a history anti-Semitic speech on the social network Gab. Following these revelations, Paypal banned the site from its payment platform — the latest action taken against the troublesome social network by a major technology company.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
For people who don't know what Gab is, it's the place that Nazis go when they are too Nazi even for Twitter and Twitter bans them.
Twitter bans people?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yeah all the time.

Not Nazis though. Not unless they get really really really bad. Or in hindsight like the mail bomber guy to cover their ass.

This is because Jack is a White Supremacist.
Had to 'love' their clarification to their ban policy when donnie posted things (as usual) that would get anyone else a permaban (that time it was threatening CNN).

Saying the exception to their policy was to ignore anything that was 'newsworthy'. Talk about an out they can use for pretty much anything they want.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Had to 'love' their clarification to their ban policy when donnie posted things (as usual) that would get anyone else a permaban (that time it was threatening CNN).

Saying the exception to their policy was to ignore anything that was 'newsworthy'. Talk about an out they can use for pretty much anything they want.
I honestly don't think they should ban Trump. Most Trump supporters I know are at least a little embarrassed by his tweets from time to time. If he was banned, they'd proudly rally behind him. As long as Trump is President, social media companies can't "deplatform" him some some no name hick.

I can't think of a likely scenario where banning him from twitter actually weakens him.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I can't think of a likely scenario where banning him from twitter actually weakens him.
Since the point of banning him would be for Twitter to show that their rules apply to everyone equally, and not to make some sort of political statement, who cares if it weakens him or not?

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Since the point of banning him would be for Twitter to show that their rules apply to everyone equally, and not to make some sort of political statement, who cares if it weakens him or not?
Are you saying you don't care if it makes Trump stronger? I would rather live with knowing the world isn't fair than hand Trump something that fires up his base. I bet some people at twitter feel the same.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Salome

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Maaaaaybe. Trump uses antisemitic dog whistles all the time and emboldens nazis generally, that's absolutely true. But I've read that this guy had YouTube videos (now removed obviously) where he railed against Trump, claiming the president was "controlled by Jews".

I haven't seen the videos myself though, so it could be wrong.
While it's true that there are Nazis who think Jared and Ivanka are part of a Jewish conspiracy to control Trump, this only resulted in them viewing Trump as a victim who needs their support.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Are you saying you don't care if it makes Trump stronger?
I'm saying if Twitter is supposed to be an impartial *business* operation, that is not how they should base their decisions. But you run your company however you want.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I'm saying if Twitter is supposed to be an impartial *business* operation, that is not how they should base their decisions. But you run your company however you want.
I really do respect that point of view. I'm simply more afraid of feeding Trump's power, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I really do respect that point of view. I'm simply more afraid of feeding Trump's power, and I don't think I'm alone in that.
If you leave Trump on Twitter, you feed his power.

If you take Trump off Twitter, you feed his power.

WE lose either way.