cbsallaccess Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Episode 8 is now out. What's in it? The Discovery makes some new friends and new enemies. Burnham visits Booker's brother on his home planet, well more type of spiritual brother. Booker's planet has been overrun by some alien animal thing since decades, which munches away all food like grasshoppers and leave nothing for the poor humans. It seems that replicators are a thing of the past. Despite that you'll see only very few people on that planet.

Then Burnham, the very stable genius and messiah, comes along and solves in about five minutes this problem on a global scale which caused the death of millions, where whole generations of scientists failed for over a century. Very much believable, all praise St. Michael Burnham!

They also traced back the supposed origin of the burn, some shady nebula.

In between and around there's also much action in it, and Adira's coming out finally happens.

To make it short: that's probably the worst episode by far of this season at the moment. Don't watch it, it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Episode 9 is out now. I have not made my mind up about it yet if it's good or bad, because it's a two part story which plays mostly in the mirror universe.

Its contents: the imperator is facing certain death according to the federation guy played by David Cronenberg, because she has a timp jump behind herself as well jump in another universe. All her molecules want to go back in time and her original universe, and tear her apart.

The imperator gets more and more aggressive, because that's the way how terrans die - in battle. The federation guy says there is not cure, but the Discovery's computer pimped with the sphere data says there is a cure an a remote, uninhabited planet nobody heared about before.

So they go down there by teleport and walk to the location mentioned by the computer. Why they just did not teleport there directly - who knows. First there's nothing, then there's someone - a strange old guy named Karl (or Q-arl?), and a wooden door. The door is a portal, only the imperator seems to go through and lands in her mirror universe at a time before her Lorca and Michael Burnham betrayed her. So she's still the accepted imperator there, does her stuff and looks more or less for a cure, whatever it might be. We also meet Captain Killy again, and a vicious mirror universe Burnham for a change.

B plot is that engineering has decrypted the distress signal out of the nebula, it's from a kelpian space ship and has been active since over 100 years.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Finally cbs had profiles. With several people in my family watching st from different places it used to be a weekly frustration to not change where everyone else was.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Nobody wrote about episode 10 yet? This just shows that the show is really getting less and less viewers...

To sum it up: our emperor tries to change the past - and has some impact. Comes back to the present, and Karl discloses himself as the guardian of forever. Emperor goes back into her own time, and the discovery mourns her "loss."

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Episode 11 aired. Discovery reached the nebula with the ship wreck, found the source of the burn as well as a planet consisting mostly of dilithium.

Oh, and the villain of the season used some brain washing device on Stamets to hijack the Discovery.

All in all another lack luster episode, especially the explanation for the burn is totally underwhelming.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The season finale has aired. Story wise at its own quite ok, but otherwise really disappointing. Also the CGI renderings of the turbo lift system inside the ship are just plain bullshit, don't know what they've been think about that one. Probably nothing.

Anyway: the Discovery was succesful, Orysa is dead - and with her the emerald chain. Did they really only have one leader? Sounds really silly, but they act like it was that way.

Saru helped Sokal to overcome his trauma, went to Kaminar with him and Burnham finally got promoted to captain of the USS Discovery. The same Burnham, which had been demoted by Saru a few episodes ago to ensign because she again disobeyed direct orders, yes, make quite much sense. In between again many many emotional moments of people crying like babies. Barf.

All in all thank god its over. They better should get some new show runners and screen writer, seriously.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Nobody wrote about episode 10 yet? This just shows that the show is really getting less and less viewers...
Yup. It's doing so bad that they renewed it for a 4th season already, and they've already planned a spin-off.
Which is why Georgiou returns to the past for "Star Trek: Section 31" through the Guardian Of Forever

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Lexxi and Isabeau

Isabeau

Merdeuse
This thread should be renamed “Bart’s Hatewatching Blog”.

Why watch something you love, when you can so easily watch something that makes you barf? he asks.

Tune in next year for more insightful commentary as he courageously slogs through another season of his least favourite series.

🌈 ☀🌈

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
I also ended up hate watching it in the end. Though I watched the whole season. Overall I rated it 5.692308 (I was rating it on IMDB, which uses a 10 point system, and that's the average); average rating I gave was 6 out of 10. Liked the beginning of the season; only really heated middle episode (Unification III), and last two episodes (There is a Tide... & That Hope is You, Part 2).

Thinking about it, I might have overrated it a little.

I'd be interested in a spin-off series,
especially if it followed Emperor Philippa Georgiou
, though I'm not sure if I can get myself to watch season 4 - especially if it continues to follow Michael Burnham.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Yup. It's doing so bad that they renewed it for a 4th season already, and they've already planned a spin-off.
Which is why Georgiou returns to the past for "Star Trek: Section 31" through the Gardian Of Forever
Maybe they are doing ok commercially, that's one thing. I am not looking at the commercial side of this series, the renewal was only after 1/3 of season 3 was aired anyway, which is quite early. I am looking at the entertainment and story side of series 3 mostly, because that's what really matters to me.

Commercially McDonald's is doing fantastic, but that does not mean that all of their food is now particular good. You got the idea, right?

The thing is nobody even bothered here after some point any longer writing reviews of the episodes; I always waited up for other people writing reviews instead, but nothing happened. Why? Probably because they lost interest in the show, that's why. Everybody is free to write his own reviews about the series here, but it didn't happen here any longer after some point.

From an artistic side Discovery has always been phenomenal, great effects, camera and sets. But story wise it's a totally different kind of beast, always meandering between down right boring, some pretty good up to some genius moments and everything in between.

Season 3 started interesting, most of the episodes after that though really became pretty dull and boring, only to get better with the last few episodes again.

Also how characters are being handled and shown is pretty much inconsistent. Let's take for example Osyraa, one of the better new roles in the series and already killed by Burnham, which is really a shame and waste of potential. Janet Kidder did a very good job in portraying her, she was definitely one of the better villains the show had and most of the episodes Osyraa was in are quite good and driven by her. By just compare the Osyraa in episode 11 with the Osyraa in episode 13, where she get's killed by the way. In episode 11 Osyraa was really multi faceted written and quite amazing, in episode 13 she was written as a bland standard villain not showing any of the traits she had in episode 11. And these incoherencies of how roles are being writting between the episode happens all of the time, which is a real quality problem of the screen writing and story telling of the whole series.

Episode 13 really wasted a lot of potential and indeed chose the easiest way possible to tie together some loose ends. Why? Because the screen writers of episode 11 and 13 are different. Also too many deus ex machina moments as well. What, nobody else here to help us? Oh neat, there are suddenly these cute maintenance droids showing up out of nowhere which contain the sphere data, are self aware, willing and capable of helping us. What, air is running out? There's only one air mask on the whole deck of this space ship, we're many, we've got a problem (very unlikely that there is only one mask.) But neat, Lt. Owosekun can hold up her air for almost 10 minutes, yeah, problem solved thanks to the god of lazy screen writing!

The main problem in writing is not inclusion nor diversity, but still though is how the characters are mostly one dimensional and reduced on one trait only over the whole series: Michael Burnham for example is supposed to be a strong black female lead, she's meant to be that why, she's even got a male name for fuckings sake so that the dumbest of the dumb is able to understand that she's trek messiah and ze big boss. Even her colleagues are telling this on Twitter.

So Burnham is always doing that, she's always right, always showing others how to do it right, even Spock only become the man we do know because of her. She's never really suffering the consequences of her wrong doings for a long time, always saves the day, every breakdown of her shows big emotions. And that's all about her. She has no interesting character traits, her character's weaknesses have no lasting consequences, her character's strength is beyond human, and she's always admired by all. This is why she's a really, really badly written character.

This means that as an officer you should not argue with Burnham why she is right, because either she is unable to explain it to you or simply won't. And if you are her superior and tell her otherwise, she will do what she wants to do anyway instead. She's simply right, because she is always right, and sooner or later you will come to the conclusion that she's always right, infallible and that you should stop questioning her. Why she is such a capable black female lead the story never really bothers to discover at all, why all people just seem to love her neither, Burnham is just that lovable and capable despite all her wrong doings by birth it seems. This is how her "strong black female lead" is being portrayed mostly, but this simply does not work for most that way who would have thought that.

And despite what the authors might think she's definitely no captains material, because she's got a big authority problem and the chain of command coming with it if she thinks her way is the right way. But the Star Fleet is a military run organization, and there simply is no place for such type of behaviour. Did she grow over the time on her actions? Definitely not, which is another problem, it's always "either my way or the high way" with her, and will always be.

And I could go on with this about the rest of the show. Now let's go for example with DS9, Benjamin Sisko. First black main commanding role ever in the Star Trek franchiset. Did his "strong black lead" really play an important role in series and episodes? No. He was a single parent, traumatised, very human, strong, but also had some bad sides which were often corrected by Dax, this is how he was mostly portrayed. So he was portrayed as a human being.

Or Kira Nerys - a woman as XO. Do we just remember her just for that - or don't we think more about her as traumatized ex-partisan of Bajor, which during the series is able to overcome her old hate and starts to build some bridges between cultures?

And don't get me started on Garak or Gul Dukat, STD simply has no character whatsoever which can even come close to these deeply layered, contradictional and multi faceted roles at all. STD's role writing is the equivalent of taking the biggest brush you can get a hold of and making one, big stroke using your color of choise on a canvas and calling that then a master piece.

The characters of Discovery, despite being in season 3 already, simply don't have that type of development or depth. They are just reduced to their main feature which is important to the screen writers mostly, and that's it. Or Coulbert and Stamets - oh yes, they are gay and love each other, they made sure they got plenty screen time so that we do know about that. But what else makes them really tick we don't know, although their gaining of an adoptive child was quite nice.

In the end season 3 had some few, strong moments but most of the it is just a bad show from craftmanship side in terms of story telling/writing/portrayal and continuity. Which is something that should be not happen any longer in season 3 of this series. I also dislike time travel stories a lot, but the time jump gave the show some creative freedom it hadn't before and get away from the shackles of old Trek, but in the end they didn't really use it... much.

The thing for me is that almost every classic Star Trek series gave us some episodes which can be viewed again and over again, because they are tackling a very important problem/topic and are really timeless classics. For TOS this would be for example "Patterns of force", for TNG this would be for example "Chain of Command." So far STD has failed to deliver even one such episode of that type, and we are already in season 3, which is just sad.

Last edited:

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
though I'm not sure if I can get myself to watch season 4 - especially if it continues to follow Michael Burnham.
If there is one complaint I have about Discovery in general, it is that it has that 'focus on that one main hero character always saving the day' syndrome. Granted, old Start Trek had its key figures, but they all were more or less equal-ish when it comes to saving the day and being important.

If I have a big gripe with Discovery, is that despite the large cast it's always Michael. That annoys me greatly.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi