SL kills my internet connection, how is this even possible?

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
So for a while now I ocassionally experienced a funny question but this month it became persistant:

Whenever I log into SL during daytime my latency increases by 2 to 30 seconds (yes not miliseconds - freaking seconds) It does not only affect my SL experience - it affects everything. Basically this does make SL unusable to me during daytime. It does not matter what viewer I use - as soon as I log in my latency skyrockets. I tried different accounts, different viewers and different 3rd party DNS services - to no avail, once I am affected it stays down until some hours have passed.

The curious bit is: Why only during daytime?

Stora

SL Rez
No idea why but rebooting your internet router may help.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
So for a while now I ocassionally experienced a funny question but this month it became persistant:

Whenever I log into SL during daytime my latency increases by 2 to 30 seconds (yes not miliseconds - freaking seconds) It does not only affect my SL experience - it affects everything. Basically this does make SL unusable to me during daytime. It does not matter what viewer I use - as soon as I log in my latency skyrockets. I tried different accounts, different viewers and different 3rd party DNS services - to no avail, once I am affected it stays down until some hours have passed.

Do you live in UK? If yes, our speed had been drastically lowered since the beginning of the year and thus far never returned to normal. I assume it is worse throughout the day

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Do you live in UK? If yes, our speed had been drastically lowered since the beginning of the year and thus far never returned to normal. I assume it is worse throughout the day
Germany, but yeah I suspect something along that line too.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
Germany, but yeah I suspect something along that line too.
Could be as Europe generally was affected. Hope it returns to normal soon :( .

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I get the occasional day when things are crappy but most of the time my 200Mbps connection is getting 200Mbps plus.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Make sure your draw distance didn't get bumped up higher than usual?

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez
Thats interesting. I'm in the UK, and while I haven't noticed latency issues to anywhere near the degree that Fionalein has been experiencing, I've noticed over the past few weeks that textures are taking way longer than usual to load, and staying grey for much longer. My internet speed is no worse than it ever is, so I just figured it was something to do with SL moving to the cloud. It certainly hasn't been all year though, just the past 3 weeks or so.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts

Whenever I TP into a new sim, SL absolutely maxes out my (sadly not improvable..) 10mbit line. Completely. The HTTP model and texture downloads are not throttled, so it just completely slams my connection for minutes when going to something like events, because everybody and their dog decides to stuff a buhzillion textures into stuff.

Yay. Aren't you glad some people are still dependant metered connections?

Josette Molinuex

SL Rez
That used to happen to me, then it mysteriously stopped. Sometimes, rebooting my modem and router worked (it never affected my husband playing Playstation though!), sometimes nothing helped and then it just stopped.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
Thats interesting. I'm in the UK, and while I haven't noticed latency issues to anywhere near the degree that Fionalein has been experiencing, I've noticed over the past few weeks that textures are taking way longer than usual to load, and staying grey for much longer. My internet speed is no worse than it ever is, so I just figured it was something to do with SL moving to the cloud. It certainly hasn't been all year though, just the past 3 weeks or so.
I am envious! Our Glasgow and Brighton ones suck :( .