Politics has turned me into a mess

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Not sorry I missed the troll. See enough of that ilk on Facebook and Twitter.

Soooo...just came from my first actual live debate. It was at a local university between Jess King and our incumbent Lloyd Smucker. And let me just say...SHE WIPED THE FLOOR WITH HIM!!

He got a polite smatter of applause at intro, and some which was a bit more boisterous from the area where his wife was sitting. SHE got a cheers, whistles and a standing ovation. :p She was prepared, confident, knowledgeable and personable. He, for being the seasoned politician with a few years in our state Senate before Congress, fumbled and didn't even answer questions. I have a feeling the support for her threw him off. He insulted her and her supporters a couple of times, but she was cool and stuck to 'just the facts, ma'am' at those points. He came off ill prepared, petty, out-of-touch and evasive. The hardcore Republicans will still vote for him. The ones who can't bring themselves to EVER vote for a "D", including the two who were sitting beside me. (they were a grumbly miserable pair. They didn't like the standing ovation for her) But I would think any undecideds or those on the fence, and at last polling that was 20% of likely voters, will see for themselves that her policies make sense. She's not afraid to criticize BOTH parties for letting the American people down.

Tomorrow, I might be angry and a little despairing again, but tonight I feel pretty high. Too see a progressive woman get a standing ovation in Lancaster County...never thought I'd see the day.

She made mincemeat out of his sorry ass, to be blunt. Jess King supporters tonight:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
By the way, is the tea party movement still a thing, or do they consider Trump as "their president", so that they've finally "arrived?"

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
By the way, is the tea party movement still a thing, or do they consider Trump as "their president", so that they've finally "arrived?"
I am not sure if they call themselves that or not now. Most of them just traded in their hooded robes for red caps.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
I only know of one person currently posting who got banned from Official, runout of SLU, and then came back to Official under another name.

Is it acceptable to talk about politics?
Oh wow, what a clusterfuck of a thread. : popcorn:

Hmm, that one's using standard English and while in a bit of a fit, unlike the rage bro from yesterday, seems coherent. I dunno, maybe the same guy? Oh well, popcorn.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I only know of one person currently posting who got banned from Official, runout of SLU, and then came back to Official under another name.

Oh dear lord. What a toxic place! I think I left "everybody is free to have an opinion" in my rear view miror and I'm on the off ramp to "Fuck you dummies, who could possibly support a pile of idiocy and self-promotion like this President?".

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Yeah, I kind of wondered if that other thread over there which announced VV1 might bring in some folks with grudges.

On a side note: I about fell over when reading the last sentence from someone who, IIRC, leans heavily left. It is just so nonchalantly said that men don't like women who have politics or ideas. I mean, certainly, there might be some who are like that, but not in my experience, and for those who do not, they wouldn't really be worth *my* time.

I myself have always avoided politics here, though, because this is a place to meet people and politics is bad for that. Most men don't like women who have politics or ideas

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Mostly the latter.

Hard to be the Tea Party upstarts you claim to be when tax problems are pretty much the same, but we have a Republican (and white) president.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
If these accusations were made against an honorable person, he or she would step back for such an office, at least until things are cleared with help from a thorough investigation. I mean, we are not talking about a position as dog catcher (with all respect to the dog catchers) but about one of the most important and honorable positions in the US public service.
The problem with this idea is there is a significant chance (currently estimated at 22%) of the Democrats taking control of the Senate on Election Day. If that happens, the Republicans won't be able to get a far-right conservative confirmed, no matter who they are and how clean their record is. So they had to ram Kavanaugh through *now*, before they lose their chance. A thorough investigation would likely run past Election Day. If they tried to seat a conservative between Election Day and when the new Congress is seated (just after New Year's), people would scream bloody murder for going against the demonstrated will of the people.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If they tried to seat a conservative between Election Day and when the new Congress is seated (just after New Year's), people would scream bloody murder for going against the demonstrated will of the people.
Yes, people would scream but do you actually think they would care? They will be doing any far-right thing they can think of until a congress is seated that is to the left of them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm quite lucky. All my family members are quite progressive. Most of my rl/fb friends also. But I know some aren't. When we are together we do not touch on politics but every day I scour the internet for information that might make them think a little and I post one or two links on Facebook almost every day.

My husband and I watch at least the start of Maddow every evening and take in as much of the infuriating news as we can stand before turning to something else we've recorded that's lighter and more fun. All in all I've been getting increasingly pessimistic and this last couple of weeks I've started to be scared.