I remain unconvinced re: dismantlement of MPD. I've read the MPD 150 information and to me, it sounds like a lot of pie-in-the-sky thinking. They seem to want to fix all societal ills, and that I'm good with, of course, but to suggest that the police can be replaced by social workers on domestic violence and other assorted family issues is absolutely garbage. I did a simple search for social workers murdered on the job and it's long, one after the other. They are #20 at dangerous jobs. Obviously I do believe that the police have become a catch-all for all societal ills, dealing with mental illness, domestic violence, etc...But there is a larger picture, one in which that happened because cities/states/federal government absolutely have failed at addressing those issues. But hey, by disbanding the police dept, surely they will succeed. :/
I haven't seen them even say that they are considering a Camden model. In fact, I haven't seen them say much of anything at all about their plans, just that they continue to want complete abolishment. When Frey was booed at that protest, that protest was attended by a fair number of the MPD150 group. The gal with the bullhorn stated, and to much applause, "We don't want no police."
Lisa Bender, the City Council President was on CNN, and was asked who do you call if your house is broken into in the middle of the night. She said that question comes from a "place of privilege". Say, what? If your house is broken into in the middle of the night, you might well be facing violence done unto you. Over here that has meant death for some of those folks. I would like to point out that, with publicly available information, she lives in a very low-crime area of the city. From my point of view, I think *she* is privileged. In any event, I do think I get what she is trying to say in that there are many people who would not call the police in such a situation because the police would make it worse, but her messaging is terrible.
As someone who supports police reform, they need to get their act together and state clearly and concisely just how they want to accomplish their goals. I don't want to hear wishy-washy talk about how if we lift everyone up, fill everyone's bellies, there be less/no crime or anything about "neighbors protecting each other". My closest neighbors are criminals. I want concrete ideas, actual plans. I am trying to remain somewhat patient despite my reservations but they are not making it easy.