Police Brutality Protests Thread

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
What kind of qualifications are required to become a cop in the USA?
Is knowing the name of your dog and how to eat donuts sufficient?

It seems those guys have no clue what to do in these kind of situations. 😢
What do they train?
One qual is not being too smart. I am not joking.
 

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
There is a small - so far peaceful - peaceful protest happening downtown, but Walmart and other places that were open closed for fear of looting.
 

Ranma Tardis

Ad Astra per Aspera
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
93
Location
Socal
SL Rez
2005
Yet in the end these protests are doing far more harm than good. They are not hurting the racists one little bit by destroying their own communities. There is a good chance that most of the stores will never reopen. The USA is entering an economic depression and the money is just not available. What is needed is a change in the US state laws to bring criminal police to justice. As for the police they did not confront the rioters at first and looked at what happened. If you think last night was bad it will be worse tonight if the protesters are intent on burning down their communities.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Yet in the end these protests are doing far more harm than good. They are not hurting the racists one little bit by destroying their own communities. There is a good chance that most of the stores will never reopen. The USA is entering an economic depression and the money is just not available. What is needed is a change in the US state laws to bring criminal police to justice. As for the police they did not confront the rioters at first and looked at what happened. If you think last night was bad it will be worse tonight if the protesters are intent on burning down their communities.
Except the looters are obviously not from these communities - they are there to make them look bad, to make antifascists look bad and to make democratic governments look bad. The racists are the ones looting and being violent.
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
They are not a group, so good luck with that. They are boogymen the right has made up.
A threat, which I saw on Twitter, is that police and like can try to label anyone as part of the group. Since there isn't something they can use to 'verify' if they are members or not. Not that I can find that specific Tweet now.
 

Ranma Tardis

Ad Astra per Aspera
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
93
Location
Socal
SL Rez
2005
Except the looters are obviously not from these communities - they are there to make them look bad, to make antifascists look bad and to make democratic governments look bad. The racists are the ones looting and being violent.
Yes I am all too aware that the protests make the Democratic Party look bad. I am a Chair in the Rogers County Democrats and a board member of the Stonewall Democrats. I am worried the riots will be an excuse for trump to suspend the Constitution and delay the vote in November. What is worse the racists are seeing this and confirming their racists beliefs. This has gone past finger pointing.
 
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
A threat, which I saw on Twitter, is that police and like can try to label anyone as part of the group. Since there isn't something they can use to 'verify' if they are members or not. Not that I can find that specific Tweet now.
But the US government can proscribe only foreign organisations as terrorists.

When they've gone after far-right terrorist groups in the past it's as criminal conspiracies, not under anti-terrorism legislation.

We in the UK can ban domestic groups outright -- National Action, Atomwaffen, various Islamist groups, etc -- but the US has to go after them as criminal conspiracies, because of the First Amendment implications.

While Priti Patel could, a couple of months ago, make membership of Atomwaffen a criminal offence simply by using her powers under the Terrorism Act, Trump can't do the same to a US organisation, still less a movement without any formal structure or officers.
 
Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
A threat, which I saw on Twitter, is that police and like can try to label anyone as part of the group. Since there isn't something they can use to 'verify' if they are members or not. Not that I can find that specific Tweet now.
That's exactly it. "Antifa", in practice, is anyone conservatives decide to call "antifa". We already know that's how it works, it's been happening for years.

A couple of days ago Trump was doing the "I love blacks" dance and claiming he's on the "real" "non-violent" protesters' side; but if anyone tries to tell you they don't believe his administration would sooner or later start tagging non-violent BLM protesters as "antifa" to get them spied on, arrested, and busted up as "terrorists" is willfully lying.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Yes I am all too aware that the protests make the Democratic Party look bad. I am a Chair in the Rogers County Democrats and a board member of the Stonewall Democrats. I am worried the riots will be an excuse for trump to suspend the Constitution and delay the vote in November. What is worse the racists are seeing this and confirming their racists beliefs. This has gone past finger pointing.
You are missing what I'm saying - this isn't finger pointing, this is a false flag operation by factions inside our own government or far right activists - there is too much evidence of real planning and money - flats of bricks, for example, aren't exactly cheap.
 

Ranma Tardis

Ad Astra per Aspera
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
93
Location
Socal
SL Rez
2005
You are missing what I'm saying - this isn't finger pointing, this is a false flag operation by factions inside our own government or far right activists - there is too much evidence of real planning and money - flats of bricks, for example, aren't exactly cheap.
Oh I believe you but the protesters are playing into the hands of the racists.
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
Yes I am all too aware that the protests make the Democratic Party look bad. I am a Chair in the Rogers County Democrats and a board member of the Stonewall Democrats. I am worried the riots will be an excuse for trump to suspend the Constitution and delay the vote in November. What is worse the racists are seeing this and confirming their racists beliefs. This has gone past finger pointing.
He can't just suspend the Constitution that easily, as much as he would like to.
The specifics of why he can't have been posted at some point in the thread directly about him, probably in others, too. If he tries, it might just be the breaking point for some Republicans. They don't all worship him, they know he could turn on any of them at any moment, and I can't believe that he's the only way they can fill their pockets. Maybe some of them even care what kind of America their kids or grandkids grow up in.