Official Inforwars and informal Trump 2020 booth banned from 2019 SL Scificon Due To Harassment

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I thought you guys might enjoy this.

The 2019 SciFi Con is an event intended to promote science fiction in Second Life and benefit the American Cancer Society.
There was, apparently, an InfoWars sponsored booth that also was promoting Trump's re-election in 2020.
I was not aware of this until I received a bunch of IMs that basically just consisted of TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP from various users over the course of a couple days.
It seemed to radiate from a particular part of the convention, and upon camming I seen it. It had always happened as I was walking across from where Glitter and Doom's booth is in Pandora.I did the grownup thing and muted them and alerted the moderating staff.

It was just...there. And I just assumed perhaps naively that the usual trolls were attracted to it and maybe, they decided to be good and raise money for the charity? I was wrong.
Because apparently a lot of other people had gotten similar things especially if their avatars appeared to be non-conservative in appearance, or had visible progressive groups in their profile.

This has already annoyed the moderating staff so they appeared to set up permanent watching around the booth and discouraging people from hanging out too long after doing...whatever it was you were supposed to do in a booth with nothing for sale, no RP sims to promote, no art, no literature, and no donation kiosks. The owners of said booth started complaining about their freedom of speech being violated, and insinuated that the moderators were fascist secret police.

The interesting thing is that a both for cyberpunk "retro futurist" style soviet city aesthetic/RP sim is set up right across the street from them.
That became a topic of the InfoWars booth interest today in the Scifi Con's Group:

[18:53] (Name Redacted): Attention:
[18:53](Name Redacted): I would like to share my convention experience. We paid for our Section 31 booth 2 months in advance and renovated it on the first day of the con. We placed a modestly sized sign inside of our booth supporting our current elected President. 48 hours later after a few crazed lunatics harassed us, called us all sorts of names, and told us to die in a fire, then half a dozen 'moderators' show up to lend official support to the harassment. We were lied to by Debbydo who claimed 'politics were not allowed at the con, despite there being a giant purely political Russian Lennonist booth with a giant statue of Lennon right across the path. (which still remains) She returned our sign and then attempted to tell us what we could and couldn't wear on our avatars. When I insinuated they were acting like the fascists of old I was then banned from the region. I realize that many of you blinded by your hatred will cheer this act of selective suppression but regardless of where you stand politically this type of
[18:53] (Name Redacted) prejudice and selective enforcement is not acceptable to any reasonable intelligent individual. This is how the convention feels about you conservatives out there, you do not have the same rights as everyone else. Who is responsible for this epic mismanagement of the convention? Look straight to the top.

---

This infowars representative either was booted from the group, after some choice words from myself and then the moderation staff stepping in.

Just...the level of of wanting to be persecuted and being throught of as the real victim in the middle of a cancer-benefit scifi convention is astounding, the moderators definitely did the right thing in doing what they did. The booth appears to have been converted into a hangout/scifi trivia zone.

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
As a person who runs a themed estate and has had to deal with toxic people in the past, let me say this:

Infowars and politics have no place in a sci-fi convention. None.

Freedom of speech was not violated because freedom of speech does not apply to private events of entities. Freedom of speech applies to governments to protect citizens from censorship. Second Life is not that, neither is Sci-Fi Con. It's not infowars' region or event. They have no say about anything that goes on there.

"Renovating" it the first day of the con is just showing their true colors after the fact. I assure you that if the staff saw what the real renovation was 2 months ago when they claimed to pay ahead, they would have done something about it right then and there. If it were me, I might have even refunded them had I known their true intentions. But what they did was sneaky and intentional. Making a big scene about it after the fact was entirely their intention. It's toxic behavior by people claiming to be the victim.

Unfortunately that shithead from Infowars lives in the same city I do, and he's an ultra troll. That's his game. For example, this is literally him stirring shit up at a really nice chicken restaurant I've been to. It is par for the course for him, he's making the literal same arguments. He's intentionally inciting a scene.

Alex Jones and his Infowars has a reputation that has literally hurt people physically and emotionally with his lies. Anyone running any event or business would be wise to distance themselves. That's why he's banned from almost all social media.

p.s. Don't redact, share names. Fuck 'em.

EmpressOfCommunism

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's Redacted because the original account was banned from the group and the person talking appears to be an alt, with scrubbed clean groups. Had I mentioned the name, it would have been useless as the person is acting to prevent anyone from tracing them in any way.

Last edited:

EmpressOfCommunism

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
^If the sim they were complaining about had a summary, that would be it, and the thing that's really crappy about it. It's a *scfi relevant sim* that was actually collecting donations for the charity. The infowars/trump booth didn't even have anything! It wasn't there for any purpose other then to intimidate people, I think.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
^If the sim they were complaining about had a summary, that would be it, and the thing that's really crappy about it. It's a *scfi relevant sim* that was actually collecting donations for the charity. The infowars/trump booth didn't even have anything! It wasn't there for any purpose other then to intimidate people, I think.
Given how popular SL seems to be with more liberal leaning folks, I feel like any Infowars/Trump presence in SL probably just exists to antagonize and intimidate people.

EmpressOfCommunism

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
An interesting tidbit:
[19:25] (name redacted moderator): lol yeah... we have to ban them every year. they like to say its for this and that but in reality its for harassing and badgering others relentlessly

• 1Thanks

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I find it hard to believe InfoWars would even bother with SL. You sure it isn't just a fan?

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I find it hard to believe InfoWars would even bother with SL. You sure it isn't just a fan?
Honestly, they've been banned from all the big social media sites, sooo...
...any audience is better than no audience?

Also, as long as SL has free accounts without verification, they could never really be silenced in SL.

• 1Thanks