Instant Pot -- All the Cool Kids Have One!

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I'm starting to like this contraption -- darkly suspicious though I am of any cooking pot that plugs into the wall. (I still have a 1950's era aluminum Presto Cooker up on the top shelf.)

Last night I threw some green beans in with a couple of cups of water, salt, pepper, a little herbes de provence and set it to pressure cook for one minute -- OMG. I've been going the full "parboil, ice chill, saute" route for green beans for forever, and these were way better.

Sep 19, 2018
Portland, OR
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Last night I threw some green beans in with a couple of cups of water, salt, pepper, a little herbes de provence and set it to pressure cook for one minute -- OMG. I've been going the full "parboil, ice chill, saute" route for green beans for forever, and these were way better.
WC Fields had a parboil cooking hint. He said "there's no such thing as a tough child— if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender."

Han Held

I am the Queen of France, completely
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Thanks for this thread, Casey. I've been on the fence about one of these doodads. I almost got one during the Black Friday week at Amazon, but after reading a ton of reviews and looking at pictures of them with the metal sides caved in, and the plethora of accessories that might have to be bought, I held back.

Just out of curiosity, which size did you get? I was very much on the fence between the 6 qt and the 8qt. I want the 8qt so that I can do larger quantities if necessary, but it looks large. Also, what of all these different options of what it can do (I think there are 3 levels?) Some with yogurt, some without, others with cake making. Which one do you have and have you tried anything unusual like cheese cake yet?

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Thanks for this thread, Casey. I've been on the fence about one of these doodads. I almost got one during the Black Friday week at Amazon, but after reading a ton of reviews and looking at pictures of them with the metal sides caved in, and the plethora of accessories that might have to be bought, I held back.

Just out of curiosity, which size did you get? I was very much on the fence between the 6 qt and the 8qt. I want the 8qt so that I can do larger quantities if necessary, but it looks large. Also, what of all these different options of what it can do (I think there are 3 levels?) Some with yogurt, some without, others with cake making. Which one do you have and have you tried anything unusual like cheese cake yet?
Mine's a 6 qt -- "wifi enabled", but SLU/VVO has long ago wised me up to what a bad idea THAT is, so wifi enabled will remain disabled. I haven't seen an 8 quart live and in person, but this 6 qt is about as big a thing as I would want on my counter. It will just fit in the standard 11 1/2" vertical space over many kitchen cabinets -- probably not an accident.

All I have done so far is pressure cooking and sauteing -- the odds against me making yogurt are vast, but I imagine I'll use the slow cooker. I don't eat carbs, so I won't be using rice/porridge/multi-grain or, making a cake in it. (I'm at a complete loss to even begin to explain that last one.)

I'm still working on making the chicken dish I made, which is freakin' awesome.

What I like, other than that the food has been good, is "push the button, go do other stuff" -- I would never have even thought to pressure cook green beans for a minute -- way too much standing at the stove waiting for the little ticka-ticka thingy (tm) to start wobbling.

I don't know why the sides would cave in -- first, the thing is built like an armored car, but there's also a vent you crack when it's done cooking. I guess, maybe if the vent got closed after some pressure had vented, then it cooled down? It's completely sealed while it cooks -- which is weird, because you're used to smelling your food cook! -- so it's not like it would naturally form a vacuum inside without some sort of cook error.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
This is what I think of whenever I think of pressure cookers:

But -- I'm actually considering getting one of these Instant Pot thingies some day.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Mine's a 6 qt -- "wifi enabled", but SLU/VVO has long ago wised me up to what a bad idea THAT is, so wifi enabled will remain disabled. I haven't seen an 8 quart live and in person, but this 6 qt is about as big a thing as I would want on my counter. It will just fit in the standard 11 1/2" vertical space over many kitchen cabinets -- probably not an accident.

All I have done so far is pressure cooking and sauteing -- the odds against me making yogurt are vast, but I imagine I'll use the slow cooker. I don't eat carbs, so I won't be using rice/porridge/multi-grain or, making a cake in it. (I'm at a complete loss to even begin to explain that last one.)

I'm still working on making the chicken dish I made, which is freakin' awesome.

What I like, other than that the food has been good, is "push the button, go do other stuff" -- I would never have even thought to pressure cook green beans for a minute -- way too much standing at the stove waiting for the little ticka-ticka thingy (tm) to start wobbling.

I don't know why the sides would cave in -- first, the thing is built like an armored car, but there's also a vent you crack when it's done cooking. I guess, maybe if the vent got closed after some pressure had vented, then it cooled down? It's completely sealed while it cooks -- which is weird, because you're used to smelling your food cook! -- so it's not like it would naturally form a vacuum inside without some sort of cook error.
Thank you. Yeah, the pictures weren't during usage, I don't think. They received them that way, so must have been during shipping which led me to believe the sides weren't so sturdy. Other than that, the main complaints were the steam causing damage to the underside of cupboards when using the quick release. I wouldn't even do that, being on the wary side, I would likely use the natural release.

I would mainly be doing things that normally I would use a crockpot for, or long-cooking things like beans, but I have to admit that cheesecake intrigued me. I like to make refried beans and naturally that takes a fair amount of time normally. Also, being able to have a tender chuck roast (or other tougher cuts of meat) in a short amount of time interests me as well.

Thanks for the info and happy one-potting!

Seawitch

Oct 7, 2018
I received one this Christmas from my son . We only do stockings now on Christmas day and if you need something during the
year it is considered a Christmas present ie I had to replace first my screen then my tower.. so Christmas and birthday for me.
I also don't need MORE STUFF I want to get rid of stuff. I have not opened it yet to try, probably once the holidays are over.
( My son bought one last year and loves it)

Sep 19, 2018
Portland, OR
SL Rez
SLU Posts
My instapot is not the instapot brand. It is a Fagor Lux multi cooker. I haven't used it much since receiving it as an Xmas present last year. I have a book of Indian Instapot recipes which look delicious and I need to try. I've never had much luck cooking Indian food on the stove top. Maybe this will work out better.

Rose Karuna

It's cold, Xerdan is wearing a hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
Someplace new soon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I have limited oven space and because I had both the turkey and roasted root vegetables in my oven, I had to come up with an alternative for the stuffing. I was focused on the microwave until my husband asked about the Instant Pot, and I thought well, why not. So I looked up some recipes and ended up making my stuffing in the instant pot, using it as a slow cooker. It was awesome!

Han Held

I am the Queen of France, completely
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Anchorage
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
So I looked up some recipes and ended up making my stuffing in the instant pot, using it as a slow cooker. It was awesome!
I basically use mine in leiu of a slow cooker; it's faster and more reliable -but apart from that I do the same thing with both.