High Fidelity Essentially Closes Up Shop, Lays Off More Staff

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
You had to talk in it, there was no proper text chat. That's one big strike against it for me.
That's why I left too. But I was only there at the very early alpha stage, didn't they fix that flaw eventually?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Phillip was adamantly against having any real internal text chat. The only text chat was via scripts you had to install and if you hadn't done so you didn't get any. Other 3d environments make text chat undesirable by making the desktop interface so awful nobody uses it, and text chat is problematical in a headset.

So, yes, that was one of their biggest problems. HF had a lot of real design problems, but it was still the most open and least generally sucky of the headset based environments by far. I haven't been able to get into any of the alternatives, though I'm hoping the UI refresh coming to NeosVR is a big improvement.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Phillip is totally into making VR into a completely immersive environment for business meetings. Yes, really, business meetings. The whole "intranet SL for business" thing around 2007-ish wasn't a fluke, it's his vision thing. He wants the future to be people using realistic avatars of themselves for teleconferencing, because that's what happened in Snow Crash. The bit about Juanita's insight into avatar faces? That's an item of faith.

All the funky weird avatars and stuff that flood actual VR environments when people have an actual choice about how they present? VR as entertainment? It's almost like that's a problem.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Phillip is totally into making VR into a completely immersive environment for business meetings. Yes, really, business meetings. The whole "intranet SL for business" thing around 2007-ish wasn't a fluke, it's his vision thing.
So he probably splooged his pants when The Office did that whole dwight-playing-sl-like-work-except-he-can-fly bit...

Yick. :sick:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well that's his old stile... somewhere in between he asked the SL community to build himself a more modern look, which he then adapted and included stuff like mesh.
The only honest difference with "Philip 2.0" was, they added gloves.

• 1Like
Reactions: RyanSchultz

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
Not these pants?!?!

I was reading some article a few days ago that proclaimed codpieces were in vogue this season.

let that sink in.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Not these pants?!?!

Now i want to ask an Ex-Linden wether Phillip wore chaps over polka dot bermudas in his office too - because in silicone valley everything goes...

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Phillip is totally into making VR into a completely immersive environment for business meetings. Yes, really, business meetings. The whole "intranet SL for business" thing around 2007-ish wasn't a fluke, it's his vision thing. He wants the future to be people using realistic avatars of themselves for teleconferencing, because that's what happened in Snow Crash. The bit about Juanita's insight into avatar faces? That's an item of faith.
I'm of two minds about this. I work remotely with a bunch of other people who work remotely and no one ever turns their webcam on. After an initial excitement about seeing each other's faces, no one wants to stare at themselves on camera every day - or know that other people are doing it.

As to VR - it would force people to be visibly paying attention to the speaker - and I think about half or more of the people in any given meeting are paying at most 1/3rd attention while they frantically try to finish their work or surf cat memes. I doubt most people are going to be behind that.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Now i want to ask an Ex-Linden wether Phillip wore chaps over polka dot bermudas in his office too - because in silicone valley everything goes...
IANAXL but can tell you with certainty that he did not wear such in the office, possibly at the bar after hours, but not in the office.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Nah they're not chaps and shorts! Darned if I can find it by search now, but I am 100% sure I remember seeing a photo of Philip at one of the Community conventions, dressed like his avatar - and the codpiece-area of his jeans was covered with sequins.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer