Firefly reboot confirmed for Disney+

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
Just saw it in the title of a YouTube vid - didn't watch. I'm sure someone will follow up with details, but I'm kinda sick at the moment and not really thrilled at having to subscribe to a service to see it. But I do have a card of shows and movies to binge so it'll be worth it :)
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
I don't care who it is. Firefly was the right collection of people at the right moment to make something new and exciting. You can't force it to work again. Do something new.

I feel the same about Farscape.

On the other hand, I think JMS has made a good case for why a Babylon 5 reboot would be a good idea.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
Not sure if joking or not....

Especially with current Disney.
I will never forgive them for what they did to Lloyd Alexander.
 

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,963
Location
20 Minutes into the future
SL Rez
2006
Given Disney's track record over the last couple of years, I'll pass on this. I love Firefly but my gut feeling is this won't be anything like the original except in name. I am getting Mainframe vibes and we all know how well their reboot of Reboot went...
 

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,488
Location
US
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
44403
Given Disney's track record over the last couple of years, I'll pass on this. I love Firefly but my gut feeling is this won't be anything like the original except in name. I am getting Mainframe vibes and we all know how well their reboot of Reboot went...
I keep trying to imagine me watching a Disney version of Firefly and all I feel is sad.

EDIT: Full disclosure. My husband is a sports guy, especially college sports. Basketball season has now begun, so he decided to reactivate his streaming channels (he turns it off during baseball season :dance: ). Apparently Disney has co-opted everything. The price jumped $5 a month from last year plus now we're forced to add a bunch of new channels we will never watch. LIke Disney.)

I'm tempted to watch the Star Wars movies on Disney, but I feel so dirty even thinking it.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Caete

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,891
SL Rez
2007
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

The original show was lightning in a bottle of production and cast. And it still got kicked to the curb by Fox.
Agreed. A lot of dominos lined up to make the first one great. It's frankly unlikely to happen again. I'm also worried Disney will butcher some of the themes to make them more family friendly... this is unlikely to go well, but I hope to be proven wrong.
 

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,488
Location
US
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
44403
Agreed. A lot of dominos lined up to make the first one great. It's frankly unlikely to happen again. I'm also worried Disney will butcher some of the themes to make them more family friendly... this is unlikely to go well, but I hope to be proven wrong.
I'm sure they'll come up with a FAMILY version of the elite hooker Inara, played by Morena Baccarin. She could be an attorney or something :D
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
Agreed. What was, was lightning in a bottle, irreproducable. I do have a marginal hope it'll bring back the space western as a concept which could definitely stand a few more iterative steps and become a useful thing. It would make speculative fiction shows more affordable and allow for better writing and philosophical s/f to grow the mindbase.