- Joined
- Sep 20, 2018
- Messages
- 24,409
- SLU Posts
- 18459
arstechnica.com
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is testifying before Congress today, and he may have a few more uncomfortable questions to answer. Among them, why is Facebook autogenerating pages for white supremacist groups?
Researchers at the Tech Transparency Project found that Facebook created dozens of pages for groups like the “Universal Aryan Brotherhood Movement” when a user did something as simple as listing it as their employer. Some of the autogenerated pages garnered thousands of likes by the time they were discovered by researchers. TTP also discovered four Facebook groups that had been created by users. The researchers shared their findings with Facebook, which removed most of the pages. Yet, two of the autogenerated pages and all four Facebook groups remained active when the group published its findings.
I got an Oculus Quest 2 recently, and I love it, but it is probably going to make me finally quit facebook.
Over the past year, I've been sanctioned for saying "girls are gross", "Sweedes are weird", "Americans are dumb", and posting a meme of the my pillow guy with a hitler moustache that says "Mein Pillow." On top of that, I was hit on March 19 for something that they won't tell me about. The notice in my restriction history just says, "We understand that mistakes happen, so we didn't restrict your account." WTF does that even mean? I didn't make a mistake. They didn't restrict me, but the fact that there's an entry there is troubling. It's more worrying that I get sanctioned during important events. I was sanctioned the day Trump came to give a speech in my area. I was sanctioned on voting day. The most recent sanction was the day after I posted that I got my corona vaccine.
So I have a troll problem. I have no idea who is trolling me or why, but I'm not going to allow a troll to lock me out of my VR headset. The way things stand now, every post I make puts my access to hardware I supposedly own at risk.
Oculus requires a facebook account, but it does not require you to make a certain number of posts, or have a certain number of friends. So what I'm thinking is I will unfriend everybody, then set posts to friends only, and never post again.
This is why I got a Samsung headset.Oculus requires a facebook account, but it does not require you to make a certain number of posts, or have a certain number of friends. So what I'm thinking is I will unfriend everybody, then set posts to friends only, and never post again.
Personal data from 533 million Facebook accounts has reportedly leaked online for free, according to security researcher Alon Gal. Insider said it verified several of the leaked records.
“The exposed data includes personal information of over 533 million Facebook users from 106 countries, including over 32 million records on users in the US, 11 million on users in the UK, and 6 million on users in India,” according to Insider. “It includes their phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birthdates, bios, and — in some cases — email addresses.”
If that 533 million number might sound familiar to you, that’s because this information is apparently from the same dataset that people could pay for portions of using a Telegram bot, which Motherboard reported on in January. Now, though, it appears that those who want to get their hands on the data won’t have to pay anything at all.
Thank you for posting this! I didn't dlrealize the hack was this extensive. The news I read said they just got names and phone numbers, and I was confused. Like... hackers created the white pages, and this is bad why? LOL, I mean, I hate FB as much as the next guy, but a nice, reliable white pages would be nice to have.Just another whoopsie.
![]()
Personal data of 533 million Facebook users leaks online
Have I Been Pwned already lets you see if your email was leaked.www.theverge.com
Welp, my old facebook that I use for phone games is pwned, but... the last one listed was in '16 and i changed the password recently....Just another whoopsie.
![]()
Personal data of 533 million Facebook users leaks online
Have I Been Pwned already lets you see if your email was leaked.www.theverge.com
And mine's bogus and/or outdated.Welp, my old facebook that I use for phone games is pwned, but... the last one listed was in '16 and i changed the password recently....
My current one is fine
He didn't say it.; it's a deepfake. I saw the original video back when they first started to circulate this crap and it was refuted.I'm in a facebook group I only follow for the absurd conservative memes. I don't interact, I just eat popcorn and watch the insanity. Today, somebody posted a thing that was full of facebook 'fact checker' notifications. I'll repost the image in question here, just to show how bad the fact checkers are, NOT because I agree with it!
![]()
Now, any rational person can look at this and say Biden had another unfortunate slip of the tongue. I don't believe Biden stole the 2020 election at all. That said, here are the 'fact checker' articles facebook put on this image:
Lead Stories: Fact Check: Joe Biden Did NOT Admit He Put Together A 'Voter Fraud Organizationi' -- He was Talking About Preventing Voter Fraud
Reuters: Fact check: Clip of Biden taken out of context to portray him as plotting a voter fraud scheme
This is a perfect example of what is wrong with media today. People have absolutely no idea what a fact is, and facebook is encouraging this ignorance. A fact is an observable thing that absolutely happened. Biden saying these words is a fact. It is on video.
Whether or not Biden had a slip of the tounge is an interpretation of the fact that he spoke these words. There is no way to demonstrate one way or the other that this is definitely a slip of the tongue. This sort of untestable interpretation is simply not a fact, and it never will be.
Not only are the fact checkers not doing their jobs, they are offending me, because I resent assholes who try to tell me how to read. I'm fully capable of deciding what is and what is not bullshit, and we certainly don't need old media gatekeeper type assholes trying to go around telling everybody how to think. I agree with their conclusion, in this one particular situation, that Biden had a slip of the tounge. Their conclusion is not the issue. The process by which they arrived at that conclusion is simply unsound, and the form in which their process was presented to me is offensive. Call it interpretation checking if you must, but calling it fact checking is simply false advertising.
If that's true, Reuters missed that it's deep faked.He didn't say it.; it's a deepfake. I saw the original video back when they first started to circulate this crap and it was refuted.
I don't feel like looking for it now.