Covid-19 vaccine thread

Stora

SL Rez
EU's von der Leyen admits vaccine rollout shortcomings

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has admitted the EU was late to authorise Covid-19 vaccines and "we're still not where we want to be".
She acknowledged shortcomings in the Commission's vaccine response in a speech to the European Parliament.
Covid: EU's von der Leyen admits vaccine rollout shortcomings

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Arkady Arkright

If anyone is interested, here's my experience. I had the first dose of Astra-Zeneca vaccine last Friday, as did my wife (we're both in our early-70's). The injection itself is about as painful as a penicillin injection. 24 hours later we both had the common side-effect of minor flu-like symptoms, uncomfortable but not all that painful. I also had the less common side-effect of quite severe abdominal pain. All the side-effects had worn-off in 48 hours, and by Monday we were both back to normal.
I'll be quite happy to go through it again for the second dose, if that's what happens.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Gavin Newsom and the SF 49ers have donated Levi Stadium in Santa Clara to the vaccine effort in the SF Bay Area. It's just a five block walk for me, but you need an appointment to get the vaccine there.

Biden and the Federal Government had the Oakland Colisseum set up as a mass vaccine site for the more financially disabled folks in the East Bay.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Still can't even sign up here, but have a younger friend who somehow managed to get herself her spouse [who is slightly older than me] to get vaccines, and to my knowledge, neither of them are high risk. But in Georgia.

A cynical part of me thinks its because he's a Campbell in Cobb county, but supposedly they did the 'caretaker' route.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm tempted to start a "How COVID-19 vaccines are affecting society" thread...

Maine public health officials said Tuesday that they will take vaccine away from hospitals that violate state and federal guidelines in the wake of controversy over providers that vaccinated non-patient-facing staff members or donors while so many Mainers wait anxiously to be inoculated against COVID-19.

Meanwhile, in dueling news releases, Gov. Janet Mills criticized MaineHealth for ignoring state guidelines and vaccinating out-of-state contractors ahead of more vulnerable older Mainers, and MaineHealth continued to deny it violated any guidelines when vaccinating its staff members.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The concern here is to do with the possibility of still infecting others even when you're immune yourself, not sure the CDC guidance takes the same stance.
It would seem not (and it would be strange if the NHS were saying one thing and the CDC another on something as fundamental as this!)
Although COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting sick, scientists are still learning how well vaccines prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, even if you do not get sick.

If you are vaccinated against COVID-19, you may still be exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. After exposure, people can be infected with or “carry” the virus that causes COVID-19 but not feel sick or have any symptoms. Experts call this “asymptomatic infection.”

Arkady Arkright

It would seem not (and it would be strange if the NHS were saying one thing and the CDC anothe on something as fundamental as this!)
Going back to the post that started this sub-thread, there seems to be some confusion about what the CDC said originally. Personally I'm going to consider myself a potential source of infection until the NHS tells me otherwise.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
My understanding is that even if you're vaccinated and won't get infected, you can still carry the virus on your skin, clothing, hair, and even your breath. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'm taking no chances.

Found out last night that my other sister has now tested positive. She has 3 kids. Got it from her husband who got it from a co-worker. She's feeling very rough right now, as expected, but doesn't think she'll need a ventilator.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Instagram on Wednesday took down the account of controversial anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

"We removed this account for repeatedly sharing debunked claims about the coronavirus or vaccines," a spokesperson for Facebook, which owns Instagram, said in a statement.

Kennedy, the son of late former US Attorney General, US Senator and presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy, has repeatedly spoken out against vaccines. He has lobbied Congress to give parents exemptions from state requirements that mandate they vaccinate their children. The lifelong Democrat downplays his anti-vaccine views, though, by saying that he is actually in favor of safe vaccines and noting that all of his children have been vaccinated.
Uh huh.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield