Coronavirus Updates

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
There obviously are more cultural differences then one expects between western countries.
Of course there are - some of those barbarians out there even strech the vinegar on their chips with tomatos and sugar...

• 1LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Isabeau

Merdeuse
How many people need to get infected, sick or die before we are allowed to be interested in this news? Good lord, if this isn't your cup of tea, you have no obligation to follow the news on it. Not one person here is spreading mass hysteria or posting cray-cray stuff. There are very reliable news organizations following this. You are welcome to come back and feel superior when and if it all putters out, meanwhile I suggest you make a thread about "fake news and mass hysteria in the age of trump" or whatever.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Must. remember. Sid. is. Dutch.

For your own survival, dear man, avoid statements like "Calm down (insert name)" when talking to a woman who is peeved. American women tends to interpret that kind of statement as the ultimate in male condescension, right up there with "Don't get hysterical."

But :flower: ya right back. I've learned over the years that your heart is in the right place, and you deserve the benefit of the doubt, even when I want to :fryingpan:
Beebs, you should smile more :)

*RUNS*

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
More seriously, results from preliminary data are always a bit scattershot. Also the Chinese government is running scared and taking it seriously - and has the muscle to pull it off.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Is it really that risky to use that phrase?
There obviously are more cultural differences then one expects between western countries.
Yes, these are things you learn quickly. Another is that "how do I look?" is a trap and that when a woman says she's not upset, she is totally upset.

Arilynn

Speaking for a high trustworthyness is the fact he is researching epidemiology in an Ivy League university...

...but his research publications only include links to Google Scholar. The lack of a link to the PubMed research database - the de facto go to database if you do medical research - leads me to the conclusion is not involved in serious medical research at all.

source: Eric Feigl-Ding, PhD
He has 86 citations in PubMed under “E.L. Ding”.

Last edited:

Arilynn

Okay, I got the message.
Sid's contributions to VVO end here and now. Arrivederci a tutti.
Nononono! Sid, you are a valuable slice of the VV0 pie! Please stay. I interpreted the “Leave Beebo alone” post as a riff on the “Leave Brittany alone” meme and thus a joke. blijf alsjeblieft <- ummm, that is what Google translate gave me. I’ve never seen Dutch, so I have no clue.

🌻

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Every time (yes, EVERY time) I see or hear Wuhan, it reminds me of this scene from International House (1933):

Please pardon me for this humorous intrusion. You may resume your serious discussion.

Arilynn

And how trustworthy is Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding account?
All those holy cow messages on the social media look like effords to stir up things to me.
If that Dr is a real one, he should know better.

The moment the WHO comes out with official really alarming messages it is time to worry.
I don’t know. R0=3.8 is more than the 1918 flu strain and in the area of SARS. So, roughly, one case of 2019-nCoV will cause 3.8 additional cases while it is infectious.

There are 2 scary things about this to me: First, 2019-nCoV is transmitted person-to-person through airborne droplets, which makes those 3.8 cases easier to occur than if it were transmitted, for example, the way HIV or Ebola is.

Second, I doubt there is much aside from supportive care and respiratory therapy for the viral pneumonia that it can cause. To me, that’s only a few steps better than “thoughts and prayers“, especially for people with pre-existing lung disease or poor health.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Okay, I got the message.
Sid's contributions to VVO end here and now. Arrivederci a tutti.
I'm really really hoping this is yet another cultural joke that we're misreading, rather than a literal good-bye. Nothing that we've debated here on this thread would be worth losing your voice from this forum. Especially since the post that you were reacting to was (yet another) American joke that you may not have understood.

Please don't go!
:grouphug:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Is it really that risky to use that phrase?
It would be asking for trouble in the UK, certainly, and I'm surprised that men can get away with it in the Netherlands -- what's it like in the rest of Europe? I'm trying to think of people from other EU countries whom I know, but maybe they're atypical in that they all live in the UK.

Mind you, I guess everywhere must have their blind spots like that.

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
In German that phrase is not offensive or seen as specifically sexist, as far as I can tell. It can sound condescending, depending on tone and context, of course, but other than that it just means, well, 'calm down, please'. Definitely far from being a sexist insult like "you are being hysterical", and you can definitely use it to express "hey, this is not as severe/serious/bad as you think". Benefit of the doubt is a very good concept when you are on an international forum.

Stora

SL Rez
When I hear the words calm down I can't help thinking of the Harry Enfield sketches.