Brexit.

Sid

Not lazy, but in energy saving mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, NL
And Spain has great oranges too.
Than that Gibraltar thingy would be settled soon.

danielravennest

Sep 21, 2018
As a matter of both EU and UK law, the UK will leave the EU without a deal at the month unless either the EU27 agree to allow more time or unless the UK withdraws the A50 notification.
Can they withdraw the Article 50 notice, and shortly thereafter invoke it again as a way to reset the clock? Or is that prevented by the text of the article itself or EU rules?

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
Oct 6, 2018
Probably near London or SF

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Can they withdraw the Article 50 notice, and shortly thereafter invoke it again as a way to reset the clock? Or is that prevented by the text of the article itself or EU rules?
It's prevented by the the ECJ's judgment in Wightman and Others v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

The revocation must be decided following a democratic process in accordance with national constitutional requirements.

This unequivocal and unconditional decision must be communicated in writing to the European Council.

Such a revocation confirms the EU membership of the Member State concerned under terms that are unchanged as regards its status as a Member State and brings the withdrawal procedure to an end.
Mind you, given some of the nonsense legal theories we've been hearing from some Conservative MPs today it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried. But I'm sure both our Supreme Court and the ECJ would both throw a fit.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Sep 19, 2018
Columbus, OH
Good luck negotiating a new deal after pulling a Cat-in-the-Doorway Exit. New notification means blank slate, and despite what some in the UK claim, the EU has not been vindictive in negotiations. This time.

• 2Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
I certainly hope Speaker Bercow rules a return of May's deal out of order. He certainly seems to be the Speaker that the House needs right now, someone to give cohesion and order to the cross-party consensus that seems to exist within the House.
Yes, I can see Bearcow doing that. Too bad he is not in US politics.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Porsupah Ree and Govi

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
I guess one has to be at least third generation Briton to have any real notion of what the **** is happening in the Commons.
I mean, Ministers voting against their own governments amendment and ministers leaving because they voted for that amendment.
The PM who has lost vote after vote still stays in office and will likely bring back her agreement for the third time for a vote within a few days.
And every expert interviewed on the BBC has another opinion on what is law, legal, possible..... nice.

My English isn't good enough and/or I'm to stupid and/or I can't understand because I'm not British...... but I'm lost now for sure.
Some channels like tldr news are doing a pretty good job. There will be a few seconds of floor footage then they will dissect what just happened and how unprecedented something was.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Does anyone know why he does that? Presumably he wants people to read his tweets and has readers all around the world in different time zones.
He says it's because he wants to keep trolls and spammers out of his timeline as much as possible. This way if things get out of hand, he can start banning people very fast.

• 1Thanks

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
He says it's because he wants to keep trolls and spammers out of his timeline as much as possible. This way if things get out of hand, he can start banning people very fast.
Sounds like putting up a 30 metre wall snd screaming to stay off your lawn ...

Govi

feral ballerina
Sep 20, 2018
North of Surf City
Rachel Maddow closed her show tonight with a short segment on Nigel Farage. It seems he's doing his level best to convince an EU country, any country, to reject UK's request for more time. All he needs is one.
Is he a traitor? Or just some in-bred over-schooled anarcho-nihilist?

• 1Like

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Rachel Maddow closed her show tonight with a short segment on Nigel Farage. It seems he's doing his level best to convince an EU country, any country, to reject UK's request for more time. All he needs is one.
The most likely outcome of that would be Theresa May having to cancel Brexit, which is presumably what Farage wants, since his whole grift is being the leader of a vociferous anti-EU group. Brexit would put him out of a jobl

I'm not really sure why any EU country would listen much to Farage -- it's not as if he's got anything to offer anyone.

Quite possibly the Italians or Poles or Hungarians might decide to block an A50 extension but if that meant upsetting some of the major players like the Commision, Germany and France, then it would have to be for a better reason than Nigel Farage asked them to.

Vladimir Putin he ain't.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Sep 24, 2018
Nigel Farage, who wants to leave the EU because he says the EU is telling us what to do and because parliament should be sovereign has gone to the EU to get them to tell us what to do because he doesn't like what's happening in a sovereign parliament.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Sep 24, 2018
Part of the problem of brexit of course has always been that Brexit does not mean Brexit, at least not to the people who supported, campaigned or even just voted to leave. There were many ideas for ways we could have a relationship with europe other than full membership. It wasn't just mouth-foaming haters of all things Europe there were more considered approaches. However. As the red lines were set, the negotiations collapsed into farce and the complete lack of planning or ideas became evident the more thoughtful leavers have abandoned the idea.

This thread is an interesting read from a leave campaigner who despairs of what's happened

TRA: Thread by @TheScepticIsle: "CONFESSIONS OF A "LIBERAL BREXITEER" If the UK doesn't leave the EU I don't personally care anymore. I don't really consider myself a "Brexi […]"
Twitter:

Ariane

Jan 3, 2019
If I were the EU, I would not grant an extension without a binding state of intentions. Is it your intention to do the negotiated agreement? Is it your intention to No Deal? Is it your intention to Second Referendum? Is it your intention to rescind Article 50?

No more kicking the can, no more non binding votes, no more strategic votes, we need an answer and we need it now. Otherwise, no extension and happy no deal crash.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Tigger

Bartholomew Gallacher

Sep 26, 2018
I think there are also two cultural problems between the UK and the continent, namely

1. no doesn't necessarily mean no. If you do ask a German if he want's a cookie and he tells you no, he means it that way from the beginning. If you do ask a Brit if he wants a cookie and refuses, you've got to ask several times to be sure he really meant it that way, because it's being considered polite to first refuse and later accept; if you don't ask several times, that might be considered rude by the Brit.
2. the political culture in the UK is being driven by heavy disputes, while in many European countries it's about reaching a consensus quite early.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks