A shitstorm is rolling over Blizzard right now due to Diablo Immortals

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
It is the beginning of November, it's Blizzcon time and the hard core Diablo fans had high hopes there. Maybe at least a new class, more content or even some sneak peak on Diablo IV? Even though over three weeks ago Blizzard made a blog post mentioning that there are several Diablo projects in the work right now, and some will take more time than to Blizzcon, hopes were still quite high.

They didn't get any of this, though, but instead Blizzard announced a new title to the franchise named "Diablo Immortals", whicih will be available on iOS and Android only. There was nothing Blizzard had in store to deliver for the core group of Diablo PC gamers, which were the vast majority of the audience at all.

The reaction in the audience speaks for itself; the interesting part starts around 9 minutes, when the audience went dead silent:

Booing at the developers, while the dev said "You don't have any mobile phones?":

"Is this an out of season's April's fools joke?"

Since then a shitstorm has been blowing over Blizzard like they've only experienced few times; the official trailler for Blizzard Immoraals on Youtube has been reuploaded several times already, because it gained a like to dislike ratio of 9000 likes to over 196.000 dislikes pretty fast. Also the comments are getting deleted, hell break loose in the Diablo III forums as well.

Last edited:

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Lol, well, I can't fault them for trying to cater to the mobile market with a flagship title.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I haven't looked too close into the accuracy, but it's apparently a game farmed out to a Chinese company that just reskinned one of their other titles.

I forget the name but the video of the supposed original game seemed to use stolen reskinned Blizzard assets, which is really kind of funny.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Blizzard's mistake was announcing it when they did at BlizzCon. People were expecting news of a new PC Diablo title or an expansion for Diablo 3, not a half assed mobile title. The blowback is directly related to that. That said, gamers demanding it be cancelled altogether are entitled douches. If you don’t like it, don't play it.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I haven't looked too close into the accuracy, but it's apparently a game farmed out to a Chinese company that just reskinned one of their other titles.

I forget the name but the video of the supposed original game seemed to use stolen reskinned Blizzard assets, which is really kind of funny.
The graphics for 'area of spell/ability effect' on the ground remind me very much of defunct Wildstar Online.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Blizzard's mistake was announcing it when they did at BlizzCon. People were expecting news of a new PC Diablo title or an expansion for Diablo 3, not a half assed mobile title. The blowback is directly related to that. That said, gamers demanding it be cancelled altogether are entitled douches. If you don’t like it, don't play it.
Exactly this, and also to a lesser degree how Wyatt Chang reacted to questions. When this one guy asked "I've seen features in this clip, we've been asking and waiting for in Diablo III on PC for ages. Is this coming to PC, too?" and he answered "No.", got booed and asked somewhat half jokingly "You don't have mobiles?"

This question was the worst thing to do in that kind of situation.

Ysanne

I've lost any hope for a decent, playable mobile game a long time ago.

After a while they all turn out to be "insert money to be playable", boring, repetitive and trivial or a combination of all of these.

Games for a game boy which had less computing power than the on/off-switch of a modern phone were much more entertaining and playable.

Even if blizzard would make a decent game, still people would hate it for being "one of these money grabs", even if it would not be true.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
I'm so shocked that the "welfare epic" company still doesn't care what its player base expects or wants.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Jorus Xi

What's entertaining is this isn't even the first time a company has pulled this shit, and it's ALWAYS been unpopular.

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I've lost any hope for a decent, playable mobile game a long time ago.

After a while they all turn out to be "insert money to be playable", boring, repetitive and trivial or a combination of all of these.
Certainly, there are mountains of "free to play", but there's no shortage of genuine, good "pay once" paid titles. A few that come to mind (I'm mostly into adventures, puzzles, and suchlike):

Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise
The Room: Old Sins
Star Billions
Donut County
The Witness
The Journey Down
Monument Valley

Not to mention ports of old titles, of course, especially the Phoenix Wright series - I enjoy the settings and convoluted, melodramatic cases. ^_^

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well Blizzard never denied, that there might be a new PC Diablo some day; they told, that several projects are in development. They never told, that all are going to be presented on Blizzcon. So yes, it's entirely possible that Diablo IV might some day come around the corner. I mean you would be an idiot, with such a devoted fan base not to deliver and make money out of it.

They though created a WTF moment like when Steve Jobs in 1997 announced, that Microsoft had bought a stakeholder ship of Apple Inc., that Internet Explorer is coming to the Apple Macintosh and oh, Office too; there was even a live transmission of Bill Gates. This was done by Jobs, who over a decade fought Microsoft like nothing, for Apple users Microsoft was devil incarnate and then he did this. In retrospect it was the right thing to save the almost bankrupt company, but to the audience it was just downright shocking.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Seawitch

I have played Diablo since the first game came out. I was picked as a beta player for one version. I have waited for games to come out years later then they said. THEY pull this Shit. I actually do not have and may never have a cell phone I personally find them annoying.
I see the girls at work playing candy crunch ( or something like that ) on their phones I could not imagine playing diablo on a phone!! I love seeing all the details on a computer monitor that you would not even see on a tiny phone screen. I have bought every expantion.. My son played starcraft as well and we had most of the expansions for them as well.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I don't blame the dev's, but I think it's obvious that some of Blizzard's management are probably serious business types who don't play a lot of games themselves, and had no idea why the community has a low opinion of mobile games.
It's not just Blizzard who are tripping themselves up this way.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau