Search results

  1. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: PRS

    Once the shares are public, Nvidia can set up shell companies, and gain control by buying up shares on the open market. Owners of 5% or more of publicly traded companies have to disclose their ownership stake. So the shell corps buy 4% each. Then they start nominating themselves for board seats.
  2. danielravennest

    LOL! Political ZOMGWTF

    I was online in 1993, but I worked for Boeing, who was one of the defense contractors around from the start. Speeds were like 28K. I also had an AOL account for home use. I think I was still on AOL up to 2005, at which point I was using a 400 kbps satellite dish at home (rural Alabama, wired...
  3. danielravennest

    They just get worse and worse

    Paulding is suburban Atlanta, and parts of it turned blue in 2020. But back when they drew that map, it was solid red, and they needed a county with enough population to make up the total for a district. The mountains are in the NW corner of the state where the rest of her district is.
  4. danielravennest

    They just get worse and worse

    It is not that books were restricted, just that they were very expensive. Parchment was made from animal skin, so a book's worth required about a flock of sheep as raw materials. Writing with a quill pen took about a year of educated (for their day) labor. Monasteries had both the animals...
  5. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: PRS

    I've been using Google News for years, and have tailored the sources they show me stories from. I wish I could remove the Entertainment and Sports sections entirely, because I have no interest in them, but they removed that option in one of the updates. I do like dark mode, which I use...
  6. danielravennest

    They just get worse and worse

    The main reason there is so much media production in Georgia is the tax credits. The second reason is lower cost than big media places like Los Angeles. We want *her* to leave, not leave ourselves. Her district is literally hillbilly country - part of the Appalachians. Its not representative...
  7. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

    Tech companies like Facebook have tons of programmers. They have to do *something* to justify their jobs, so they change stuff, whether it needs it or not. So we get cycles with Windows, where a version was fine, they made it crappy the next version, and the one after is better again. Or they...
  8. danielravennest

    #BYEDON 2020 - The End Better Fucking Be Near

    Pinkskins. That's what the Andorrians call us. Go to a home improvement store, and have the paint department scan your palm for a color match. That's what color you are.
  9. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: PRS

    They could also have simply left off whatever parts are too high, and finished topping it off somewhere else. It could still all be by the same boatbuilder, just slightly delayed putting it on.
  10. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

    Not too different than the Airbus control joysticks on the left and right sides. They've done away with the conventional steering yoke.
  11. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

    Personal pods ride on small electric carriers to the transit station. Pods get transferred to bus/rail vehicle. They are large enough to seat one. Cargo pods have no seat, and just go around collecting items for delivery. If you hate being with other people, you can opaque your pod and just...
  12. danielravennest

    Covid-19 vaccine thread

    They are in fact killing themselves. Chart is vaccination rates and death rates as a function of percent voting for Trump. A Trump voter was 60% less likely to be vaccinated. Assuming they take fewer other precautions, the spread in their counties doesn't just go up, but up exponentially...
  13. danielravennest

    Nature involves Science, too! (Nobody Cares...)

    The Lagrange "points" are mathematical solutions where gravitational forces balance out. L4 and L5 are stable points, meaning a stationary object will be drawn towards them. Imagine a very shallow bowl. If you release a marble it will role towards the center, then climb the other side. If you...
  14. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

    Right. The 60's is when they started installing "electronic switching systems", which could make the long distance connections automatically. They replaced the mechanical relay switches that handled local call connections, who in turn replaced the switchboard operators who made connections by...
  15. danielravennest

    Nature involves Science, too! (Nobody Cares...)

    We are not Alone - Earth has a couple of pet asteroids that inhabit the L4 region ahead of us in our orbit around the Sun. The second one was just confirmed to be of the "Trojan" type. 2010 TK7 is about 400 meters in diameter, and 2020 XL5 is about 1200 meters in diameter. Assuming they are...
  16. danielravennest

    WTF Toadally Random Religious Me Me’s

    Looks like a shopping list to me. Or an application to work for the Ghostbusters: "check all that apply".
  17. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

    Not nearly as clever as the private banking divisions of major banks, who advise their wealthy clients how to do it "legally" (following the letter of the laws, but violating the spirit).
  18. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

    I made a lot from bitcoin, and paid a lot of taxes on it. As long as you do that, the IRS (and your state) won't bother you. I previously did fairly well from Second Life, so reporting gains is nothing new. I assumed the IRS would get on it eventually and kept a spreadsheet of all my Bitcoin...
  19. danielravennest

    They just get worse and worse

    If that's all they got, they got nothing.
  20. danielravennest

    Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

    It was first used by an ordinary person to make a call in 1951. Prior to that all long distance calls required an operator.