Sea Creatures Are Amazing

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,602
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
A dolphin dubbed Delle appears to be talking to himself in the Baltic Sea’s Svendborgsund channel off the coast of Denmark. According to a team of researchers that recorded Delle, the solitary dolphin may be so desperate for social connection that he’s thinking out loud.


The researchers aren’t entirely sure why the animal produced “sounds typically considered communicative,” as they note in research published last month in Bioacoustics. But that makes Delle’s situation all the more compelling. Dolphins are very social animals, and chatter in a diverse array of clicks, squeaks, and other sounds. In lieu of other dolphins, Delle resorted to what the researchers call “self-talk.”
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,602
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
This thread has a lot of video clips from the EVNautilus channel, but they also have a livestream (3 actually, with cameras displaying different aspects of a mission) which runs pretty much 24/7.

I've gotten into the habit of watching when A. I've nothing else to do, and B. they're out at sea with the remote submersibles going about their business.

I like when the crew is chatting among themselves, rather then focusing on the science or educational efforts, answering questions from the channel chat (I mean, I like all that, too). They are a lot like us, in that they spend a lot of time talking about food.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau