Linden Lab lays off 30 staff

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Yeah, I have been a part of the Sansar community since the closed alpha days, and i really do have no idea what this means.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
It means there isn't a critical mass of people with vr headsets yet to support a purely-vr platform.

They really need to resuscitate the VR view of SL.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
High Fidelity is pretty good (and actually has usable desktop navigation), and we just went down the "no, there isn't a critical mass there either" discussion.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
lets hope for the best, they could get rid of some ineffective SL staff and replace them with highly competent folks now without a job in Sansar ... but then - They are the Lab *sighs* :rolleyes:

• 1Thanks
  • 1Rainbow 🌈
Reactions: Ellie and Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
High Fidelity is pretty good (and actually has usable desktop navigation), and we just went down the "no, there isn't a critical mass there either" discussion.
Yeah but they also just recently closed down all their company-run public spaces; behind the scenes, it would seem the two platforms might be facing similar issues.

RyanSchultz

I am feeling sad and angry. I have been arguing on Discord with people who think I shouldn't have posted that blogpost.
But it's news, I am not under a gag order by LL, and it impacts on the Sansar community. How could I not report on it?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
People tend to leave sinking ships and Sansar doesn't has much people interested as it is.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I am feeling sad and angry. I have been arguing on Discord with people who think I shouldn't have posted that blogpost.
But it's news, I am not under a gag order by LL, and it impacts on the Sansar community. How could I not report on it?
Wutnow? What makes this different than any other LL layoff?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I heard a rumour Linden Lab got bought, about two/three weeks ago; I don’t fully trust the source (it was definitely a rumour), but that’d explain it.
If that rumour is true, I wonder who would buy them?

RodeejahUrquan

Horns n' Furz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don't remember, hah!
SLU Posts
Ryan, I have no idea why that Discord decided to go the toxic route of being whiny edgelords for a project that definitely wasn't going anywhere, but you did nothing wrong, man. You good.

That being said, I'm not super surprised that this is because of Sansar fallout. I guess all we can do is sit back and watch what steps LL will take to recoup.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If that rumour is true, I wonder who would buy them?
someone with enough money that believed they saw the true potential of Second Life and had a plan to solve at least the most glaring problems

RodeejahUrquan

Horns n' Furz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don't remember, hah!
SLU Posts
someone with enough money that believed they saw the true potential of Second Life and had a plan to solve at least the most glaring problems
Oh wow, I wish!

I'm sorry, was that a bit too jaded?

I feel like most of the "bright eyes" that first come into LL's offices full of big ideas, tend to get whittled down once they're exposed to the actual work culture of the place. :/ But, if whoever was the buyer (if such a buying actually happened) has such strong convictions, this could be a shift towards a better SL.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Fionalein

RyanSchultz

Ryan, I have no idea why that Discord decided to go the toxic route of being whiny edgelords for a project that definitely wasn't going anywhere, but you did nothing wrong, man. You good.

That being said, I'm not super surprised that this is because of Sansar fallout. I guess all we can do is sit back and watch what steps LL will take to recoup.
Yeah, I know. It's just my Lutheran guilt kicking in. I'll be fine. But I had higher hopes for Sansar than most people did.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Nyx is one of the people who have left! :(

Is Soft leaving too or is he coming back to SL?