WTF Climate Change News

Ashiri

√(-1)
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
936
Location
RL: NZ
SL Rez
2007
SLU Posts
-1
Container ship docks are more than a few feet above water level.
At the moment. No one is expecting such a sudden rise in sea level that the docks will be suddenly inundated, but it is prudent to plan for the future. And it's not just the docks, but the transport links. I'm not sure what plans The Ports of Auckland has, but I doubt it's the only port authority that has to consider what effect a 1.2m rise will have.
 
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Sid and Beebo Brink

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
At the moment. No one is expecting such a sudden rise in sea level that the docks will be suddenly inundated, but it is prudent to plan for the future. And it's not just the docks, but the transport links. I'm not sure what plans The Ports of Auckland has, but I doubt it's the only port authority that has to consider what effect a 1.2m rise will have.
If you actually read the story that Beebo posted, rather than the alarmist headline the AP used, they are talking about 10-12 inches of sea level rise by 2050. That's not going to affect container or other large ships, because the docks are already many feet above the water.

If you look at the sea level trend for The Battery in New York, water levels have been rising since before the Civil War. The Battery is the lower tip of Manhattan Island, which faces the New York Bay, and thence the Atlantic Ocean. It just means when a dock is due for renovation, they build it a bit higher.

It is more problematic along the Louisiana coast, because the ground is sinking in addition to the water rising. That area is basically landfill deposited by the Mississippi river, and it gradually settles over time. Due to flood controls upstream, it is not getting replenished like it used to be. So if you look at Grand Isle, Louisiana, which is on the Gulf coast west of where the Mississippi River ends, they are getting three times the combined tide changes.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
A few inches rise in the sea doesn't cause that much danger... in good weather. The impact during storms, however, is where additional inches of sea water can have destructive effects/

More to the point, however, is that docks aren't isolated infrastructure. They're usually accompanied by all sorts of buildings and roads and distribution centers. Those are going to be adversely affected as well, since they're so near the water. Seeping beneath foundations, flooding and storm surges.
 
Last edited:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
So, my grandmother lived in Daytona until she died, for like most of my life [she'd lived in Nevada before that, but when my poppop died when I was 5 [and we lived in Frankfurt, W Germany], I told her to go and take care of her mom [and she did?!]

Her building has to have pumps for the barely below* ground parking decks because of constant flooding - and Daytona isn't like Pensacola - it isn't nearly as rainy. Water seeping could be part of it, though its on the Halifax side.

*I say barely because the two buildings are built on this fairly thick platform, like a couple of stories, and while some of that might be lower levels in the buildings themselves, I think the parking is in that as well as a little below.
 

Archer

Not a Robot
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
710
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2007

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
So, my grandmother lived in Daytona until she died, for like most of my life [she'd lived in Nevada before that, but when my poppop died when I was 5 [and we lived in Frankfurt, W Germany], I told her to go and take care of her mom [and she did?!]

Her building has to have pumps for the barely below* ground parking decks because of constant flooding - and Daytona isn't like Pensacola - it isn't nearly as rainy. Water seeping could be part of it, though its on the Halifax side.

*I say barely because the two buildings are built on this fairly thick platform, like a couple of stories, and while some of that might be lower levels in the buildings themselves, I think the parking is in that as well as a little below.
When sea levels rise, ground water probably does too so the ground water level will also be higher.

 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Exactly. Most of Florida is underlain by porous aquifers with either fresh or salt water, and water tries to find its own level.

We're in the sand and gravel aquifer.... also, Pensacola is part of why we have the EPA, because our water is still not safe even years after the city kicked Monsanto out.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
We're in the sand and gravel aquifer.... also, Pensacola is part of why we have the EPA, because our water is still not safe even years after the city kicked Monsanto out.
So that's why my parents stopped taking us to Pensacola. :facepalm:
 
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
So that's why my parents stopped taking us to Pensacola. :facepalm:
I think its better now, but I still will not give animals water from the tap, they get filtered just like I drink - only one who is bad about the tap water is the spouse who grew up with it.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
I think its better now, but I still will not give animals water from the tap, they get filtered just like I drink - only one who is bad about the tap water is the spouse who grew up with it.
I would, occasionally, drink tap water in Alex. Yet, 30 miles down the road, I would not drink Marksville tap water. It has improved since then, but I still wouldn't drink it.

I do miss my annual trips to the Sweetwater.
 
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Archer