Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Well, I am finally going to officially be a "cord cutter".

Because of the seperation of "A large sattelite provider" from "a large telcom company" (where I work) , I dont get service for "rediculously cheap" ($10/mo, super cadilac package) anymore. So I'm dumping cable officially finally.

We literally never ever used it for anything except to "sign in with your provider" for various apps and HBO Max, which I think I can still get anyway with my cell or internet service, I just need to look into it. Oh wait, we did turn on (not so much watch) Macy's parade the last couple of years I think.
 
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: danielravennest

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
I cut part of the cord. I dumped all the movie channels because all they were good for was to school through and complain nothing good was on. Except for HBO, but for that I just went right to HBO Max. I had to keep the minimum package for three few channels I do watch, and to get any kind of a promo.
So I had to subscribe to HBO Max on its own.
I figured the cost of the streaming services I watch plus internet, and if I can just figure a way to get a few more channels I watch things on, i can save more.
Or if my building gets wired for another service.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Comedian Louie Anderson has died after a battle with blood cancer. He was 68.

Anderson's longtime publicist Glenn Schwartz confirmed the news of his death to PEOPLE Friday. The actor died in a Las Vegas hospital, where he was undergoing treatments after he was diagnosed with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, the most common type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
 
  • 1Sad
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
Apple+ came out with a new Fraggle Rock series, and I'm loving it so far. My GF is a walking Fraggle Rock encyclopedia, she hated the last revival they had, which was called Rock On. I think she judged it a bit too harshly, because it was a pandemic lockdown production, but whatever. The new one is called Fraggle Rock: Back To The Rock, and it's awesome. My GF and I are both totally into it. It has full production value, unlike the last one, and the music is great. A few characters are a little different. Traveling Matt is more cartoonish, which I don't mind. They cover current events, too, like the original series did. I'm only 4 episodes into the 13 episode series so far, but in the 3rd episode, Mokey gets trapped in a literal echo chamber when she follows her feelings instead of facts. The episode is clearly about social media.

Here's an interview with the new Doc. This Doc does not actually hold a PhD, or an MD. Her name is Doc, and she's a PhD candidate, studying marine biology. Who would name their kid Doc? I mean, that's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. They either get a PhD or their name becomes a taunt. Anyway, Doc lives on a house on a beach, which makes sense. The old series ended saying there are fraggle holes all over the world. Doc's fraggle hole isn't in a dingy old creepy basement like the rest of you reading this probably grew up with, though. I grew up in England, so I grew up with the Captain, who was the real main silly creature. The Captain was the captain of a light house. He died before the show ended, though, so his neighbor's annoying kid took over as captain. That's just how the chain of command works in the UK. Anyway, I still say England's Captain was superior to America's Doc. But I digress... my point is, I think the new Doc might have moved into the dead captain's light house. It's a well lit house with windows like the old captain's set, and it's on the beach. Governments have been unloading their old light houses for decades now, so she would probably get a good deal on rent, which is important as a grad student.

 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Black Panther cast seems to be a lot of the same. The movies have been feeling meh or stale. Maybe its time to just call Endgame the end.
 

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
Black Panther cast seems to be a lot of the same. The movies have been feeling meh or stale. Maybe its time to just call Endgame the end.
Given how many times film production across the industry has been halted because someone on the set tested positive, she may not have a choice if they make it a work requirement.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,462
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
File under "Nobody cares"...

There is this guy at work in tagential department, I interact with him occasionally on some teams.

But this guy, sounds just like Mark Ruffalo. Same sound, same kind of, uneasy voice patterns, etc.

And to top it off, he even kind of looks like Mark Ruffalo, if Mark Ruffalo were a bit more rough around the edges. Like if I found out they were cousins or even brothers, I would not be surprised.

I have seriously thought about just asking him.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
File under "Nobody cares"...

There is this guy at work in tagential department, I interact with him occasionally on some teams.

But this guy, sounds just like Mark Ruffalo. Same sound, same kind of, uneasy voice patterns, etc.

And to top it off, he even kind of looks like Mark Ruffalo, if Mark Ruffalo were a bit more rough around the edges. Like if I found out they were cousins or even brothers, I would not be surprised.

I have seriously thought about just asking him.
Ask him to smash something, see if he gets all big and green.

... on second thought, asking a coworker to smash is kinda unprofessional. Probably best not to do that, LOL
 
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Noodles

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
D.A.R.E. says Euphoria is bad because it depicts teen drug use. I don't know anything about Euphoria, I haven't watched it, I don't care about it at all.

What I do care about is that DARE still exists! How does a civilized society allow disgusting liars like these DARE people to exist? They perpetrated racist mass incarceration, by lying to us, in school, when we were children, about drugs, and using tax money to do it. They are no better than the KKK. I would argue that they did more damage than the KKK. I mean, yeah, DARE didn't actually lynch anybody, so the KKK did more horrific damage, but DARE helped put more brown people in prison than the KKK ever did. I despise everything about them, and the politicians who worked with them, including the Clintons and Joe Biden. Fuck Joe Biden in particular, with his crime bill, his patriot act, and his goddamn civil forfeiture. Gah... DARE is everything that's wrong with America. If I had a choice, between getting rid of DARE and getting rid of Trump supporters, Q anon, and the evangelicals, I'd get rid of DARE, without hesitation.

Seems dumb to hate them so much, but apparently they still feel like they have some kind of power. At least, they talk like they do, when they say, "We would welcome the opportunity for our team, including members of our school-aged Youth Advocacy Board, to meet with individuals at HBO who are involved with producing Euphoria..." They are either delusional, or they still retain some kind of gatekeeping power that I am unaware of, and that pisses me off. It should also piss off everybody else who had to sit through their refer madness bullshit in school.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
This is exactly the same to me as the people who challenge books like To Kill a Mockingbird, Maus, and similar titles because they use language that depicts hate speech. You can't talk about the problem without talking about the problem. Sanitized fiction does not make the same point because it can't actually say what it's against. And depicting problems in fiction does not create those problems.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
This is exactly the same to me as the people who challenge books like To Kill a Mockingbird, Maus, and similar titles because they use language that depicts hate speech. You can't talk about the problem without talking about the problem. Sanitized fiction does not make the same point because it can't actually say what it's against. And depicting problems in fiction does not create those problems.
I agree, you can't discuss a thing meaningfully in film and TV without depicting the thing. At the same time, this is D.A.R.E we are talking about. For all we know, they are complaining because Euphoria depicted somebody injecting a marijuana without jumping out the window to commit suicide, or murdering a bunch of people in the street with their bare hands, from the refer madness. That kind of thing seems funny, but the effects of D.A.R.E.'s fever dreams are not funny at all.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
I need to catch up on Bruce Willis films. I keep hearing crazy stuff about him. A friend told me the other day that he's been cranking out the worst movies ever, grindhouse style, but more deliberately bad, because grindhouse actors at least tried. People are saying Willis is clearly reading off a cue card for every single line, and not even trying. Then Red Letter Media did a video on it, and now I see that Bruce Willis has his own category at the razzies this year. I'm not sure which one to start with, though. He released 8 films in 2021! According to his IMDB, he's not slowing down one bit, either.

(Side note: I thought the new Tom & Jerry was nice! It wasn't a great masterpiece, but it doesn't deserve a razzie, either. It was a cute family film)

 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi