Police Brutality Protests Thread

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
Odd, I've never had foodstuff with zip ties on.
I know the trick, but I have a small jeweler's screwdriver so I don't need anything impromptu. Typically I just cut 'em.
Are you for real ??
The police search that finds the screwdriver might not find a hair-clip(aka 'bobby-pin' ?) in your hair...
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,429
SLU Posts
18459
OK, W the actual F is going on with these cops?



They destroyed medical supplies. They stabbed water bottles. :confused:

EDIT:

Some US law enforcement agencies have form here:


(that's from January 2018)

On a related note, I think most non-Americans will agree with this leading commentator on UK legal twitter -- it's a bit of a shock to learn that most of these recommendations are not standard procedure anyway:

 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,092
SL Rez
2002
Afraid of riots and looting? Don't worry, the flu is far more worse, so be happy! (Dunno what some people are thinking...)

 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,191
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Afraid of riots and looting? Don't worry, the flu is far more worse, so be happy! (Dunno what some people are thinking...)

Yeah, that's a sarcastic shot across the bow at those who have been saying, during the pandemic, "Why are you worried about Covid-19, when the flu is much worse."
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,429
SLU Posts
18459
I don't think so, because gun laws in NY prohibit caring a loaded gun that way. They're all risking arrest, because they are not in their home or place of business, Even I'd they own that property, because they're not in it, they're on the street (details here if anyone's curious: Open Carry in New York | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence).
My guess is the Midwest somewhere,
More on Merrick -- I don't know how fair it is -- I know descriptions in newspapers when the English city in which I grew up, Nottingham, are almost always misleading in that they generalise from one small area to the whole place.

 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,429
SLU Posts
18459
Is this kind of announcement by the Joint Chiefs of Staff normal?

 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Is this kind of announcement by the Joint Chiefs of Staff normal?

I don’t know how usual it is but nothing is usual anymore.
For over 200 years, tradition has Military staying out of politics. They are breaking a tradition at least as old as our country to not get involved.

But they also all swore an oath to defend our constitution, and right now, its been used to wipe the GOPs collective arses, trampled, crumpled up, spit on and set on fire. So, not surprised they are saying something. I'm not surprised that at least two of the highest ranking NCOs have said something [as in, the highest ranking Army and highest ranking AF NCOs], I'm not surprised that retired Generals are saying something.

The bigger shame is it took them this long to do so [but tradition and training and all that].
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
More on Merrick -- I don't know how fair it is -- I know descriptions in newspapers when the English city in which I grew up, Nottingham, are almost always misleading in that they generalise from one small area to the whole place.

That's exactly what the Daily Best is doing, before it gets around to the facts, and they can go sit on a tack for doing it, because a lot of people probably won't read that far.
A lot of houses on Long Island were built by Levitt & Sons - Wikipedia and people think they built the whole Island, I think. There were biased real estate agents who tilted the balance, too. Then things changed. It became illegal to discriminate who you sold or rented to ( Dump got sued for this).
My parents chose their house because it was near a Reform synagogue and a school district with a good reputation. They didn't care about their neighbors' skin colors, but I'm sure the bigots chose differently.
It just occurred to me that judging a place based on its history of decades ago is a lot like kids in school judging their peers in his things were in first grade (which happened to me, and it stinks).
The media (including the Daily Beast) would be best served in reporting on individuals and their actions. If there are real estate agents still selling selectively, they should go report on what they're doing now, but 50 years ago.
Economic inequality, that's something else. A lot of that happened later too. Way before I left my old neighborhood, it passed the point of our being able to afford moving in there. But as diverse as the neighborhood had become by that point, I don't think race had anything to do with it. Other areas, of course, have their own stories.
Fuck the Daily Beast for trying to make us sound like a monolithic bunch of bigots.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289