Cassette to MP3 Converter

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
If you want to DJ your music, you need to buy it, because otherwise, the drm won't allow you to.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Oh yes, to find new music, check out MP3blogs like 3hive and pick up the stuff you like via the links to the band's site or on Bandcamp.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
This is / was some sort of Apple issue?
Apple hasn't used DRM on music in like 15 years. Pretty sure since before Second Life was open to the public. Previously protected tracks could be converted to DRM-free if the label/artist allowed it, and I was able to convert all my tracks easily.

And Apple's DRM was basically honor-system anyway.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I more meant that unless you actually buy it.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Oh, that's a *streaming* issue, not specifically a problem for Apple's streaming service. Rhapsody (now Napster) and Spotify and the rest have the same problem. You have to buy the tracks before you can DJ them.

I'm kind of freaked out about the widespread acceptance of streaming, actually. There was basically an Internet war over being able to really buy music online, and now it's all forgotten.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
DJ's shouldn't have to pay, they should get payed to spin an artists recording IMHO.
Every airplay or play in a disco is in fact a 3-4 minute commercial for a recording.
And it works big time:
Dua Lipa has 57+ million streams this month on Spotify alone, that means a check of €57.000 in the Lipa mailbox (if the rumours of 1€ per 1,000 streams are true). Now Spotify is one of the bigger streaming services, but how many are there around? I guess the amount of cash will easily double when all streaming services are taken into account.
And next month rinse and repeat, while the diva lies at her pool sipping her cola libre.

Good old Elvis still makes about €10,000 every single month out of Spotify from out of his grave, more then 40 years after his life ended.

Sure the artists are real talented, but who made the audience aware of their existence?
Who launch their newest releases?

If you have a shop like a snack bar or a barber shop and you play radio and customers can here it, you have to pay royalties over here.
Totally insane IMHO.

Last edited:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
DJ's shouldn't have to pay, they should get payed to spin an artists recording IMHO.
Every airplay or play in a disco is in fact a 3-4 minute commercial for a recording.
And it works big time:
Dua Lipa has this month 57+ million streams this month on Spotify alone, that means a check of €57.000 in the Lipa mailbox (if the rumours of 1€ per 1,000 streams are true). Now is Spotify one of the bigger streaming services, but how many are there around?
And next month rinse and repeat, while the diva lies at her pool sipping her cola libre.

Good old Elvis still makes about €10,000 every single month from out of his grave, more then 40 years after his life ended.

Sure the artists are real talented, but who made the audience aware of their existance?
Who launch their newest releases?

If you have a shop like a snack bar or a barber shop and you play radio and customers can here it, you have to pay royalties over here.
Totally insane IMHO.
I agree - and if I were working for a radio station[well, they don't use real DJs anymore] or something like Sirius XM, then I'd probably get free music, if they still do that. Lord knows, growing up with a dad as a DJ I got a lot of free, music, but.... there are Ascap fees and the like, so sure, its advertisement, but the stations still have to pay those fees out, so....

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
a radio station[well, they don't use real DJs anymore]
Over here the big national stations do still use DJs. Their shows have become real personality thingies. With side kick and all.
I don't like that. A good DJ in my mind should serve music. Not become the center of the show.

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Over here the big national stations do still use DJs. Their shows have become real personality thingies. With side kick and all.
I don't like that. A good DJ in my mind should serve music. Not become the center of the show.
Its a bit of both, and we -have- radio personalities, but they don't pick the music. But like my dad was both a personality and played music - but he was also entertaining military, and worked morning shit when I was little. If they just played music, then -I- can do that for myself, but someone who knows their music, loves the music they play, and can make it fun? Best kind of DJ.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Its a bit of both, and we -have- radio personalities, but they don't pick the music. But like my dad was both a personality and played music - but he was also entertaining military, and worked morning shit when I was little. If they just played music, then -I- can do that for myself, but someone who knows their music, loves the music they play, and can make it fun? Best kind of DJ.
I agree, but the music should be the star, not the DJ. Never heard a DJ who was good enough to be a comedian, although some do their best to act like one these days.

On a side note:
Your dad was a jock at AFN right?
Then I'm most likely heard a few of his shows. Because we have a NATO HQ base in my hometown and AFN and CFN (partly produced at Lahr in Baden, Germany if I remember correctly) were FM broadcasted locally.
I listened regularly to these two stations, to know what was happening in the music scene on the other side of the Atlantic.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
You can't eat exposure.
You can in the music industry, where radio exposure means selling albums, increasing streams, sell concert tickets.
Do nothing anymore, and still get payed for years to come.
We are not talking about books or paintings here.

I'm not against royalties, but music royalties for DJs? Just insane. Paying for the right to promote someone.

Last edited:
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Veritable Quandry

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I agree, but the music should be the star, not the DJ. Never heard a DJ that was good enough to be a comedian, although some do their best to act like one these days.

On a side note:
Your dad was a jock at AFN right?
Then I'm most likely heard a few of his shows. Because we have a NATO HQ base in my hometown and AFN and CFN were FM broadcasted locally.
I listened regularly to these two stations, to know what happened in the music scene on the other side of the Atlantic.
My dad was kind of a celeb, much to my mom's chagrin because she had to go to a lot of dinner parties - he was in Frankfurt [70-72], and Munich[72-74], then over in S Korea

But he was Dan Ruch - had an alligator mascot. And he could be pretty funny, in a dad joke sort of way.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Is there a magic money fountain for musicians? I've spoken to artists who get thousands of plays and downloads from Amazon, Google, Apple, and Spotify, and they never get a dime. And the streaming services definitely cut into sales. Concerts were a razor thin margin even before the pandemic. A few people get paid a lot for doing nothing, but the majority of artists get shit for working their asses off. A handful of artists have it made, but that is the exception, not the rule.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Is there a magic money fountain for musicians? I've spoken to artists who get thousands of plays and downloads from Amazon, Google, Apple, and Spotify, and they never get a dime. And the streaming services definitely cut into sales. Concerts were a razor thin margin even before the pandemic. A few people get paid a lot for doing nothing, but the majority of artists get shit for working their asses off. A handful of artists have it made, but that is the exception, not the rule.
This article claims

To put it in perspective, an artist would need roughly 400,000 streams to earn an amount comparable to the average monthly minimum wage.
Do Artists Get Paid Every Time Their Song is Played on Spotify?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
As always it is not the singer/artist who gets most out of a song, it is the songwriters and the record companies.
As an example, Here in my hometown there was that band called Pussycat. They scored a gigantic world wide hit early 70s with the song Mississippi and had a few other singles that did pretty well. But they did not write the songs themselves, so almost all royalties from their singles and albums went and still go to others.
The lead singer is still invited to sing those songs in different countries, and that's how she still makes her income out of those hits.

Rule number one, never publish a song that you recorded without having at least your name as a co writer on the paperwork.

And yes, performing concerts becomes increasingly important for musicians.
Damn, it is almost like a full time job these days for most of them.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
It is easier to become famous when radio stations and club DJs pick up your songs and spin them, or when you have to tour the country with gigs in bars and clubs with 200 people at best?
And that's why I think, they should not charge royalties for DJs and radio stations.
People who can give an (enormous) boost to your career should not be charged to do so.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
DJs on air and in clubs sell a product. And that product is you. They sell time to advertisers and they sell watered down drinks in noisy clubs. And they do it using a combination of their personality, which they create, and their music, which someone else made. If they don't pay for music, they are creating revenue off of something they don't own or lease without compensation for that work. DJs need music far more than musicians need DJs. Talk radio is an option, but it has a limited niche. Most stations use music to get people to listen to ads. It is a resource, not their product. For musicians, music is their product. It cost them money to make. DJs make money from music. The musicians deserve a cut.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Casey Pelous

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Sid is right. The radio stations aren't making any money off the artists and songwriters, they're actually just doing it because they love the music and the people of ..........

Wait ........