What Virtual Worlds Are You Spending Time In?

Lecktor Hannibal

Coffee Up!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
1st Go 'Round
SLU Posts
I've been hanging out at Infiniti Grid here lately ;)

In re: Ruth 2.0 mesh avatar - There is a male avatar being developed as well, albeit not as quickly or fervently. Roth RC#1 was released the other day. The 'official' RC Package can be picked up at Shin Ingen's place on Digiworldz. The HG url is login.digiworldz.com:8002:ingen lab
Here is the MeWe group for the project Ruth & Roth 2.0 an OpenSim Mesh Avatar Project

eta: Ruth 2.0 can be picked up there as well.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Tracer: Are all of the regions on the Great Canadian Grid private or are they connected, at least by variation, into Mainland like clumps?

Tracer

GCG doesn't have a mainland. Most of the regions are separate, but there are some clusters.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Looks like I did not answer this thread. I am in Guild Wars 2, like, a lot. I wound up with 3 accounts there (which means more login rewards so there is a logic to it).

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yesterday I revisited Sansar and Sinespace to have a look at their progress. Spent most of my time in each addressing my avatar and re-learning the controls. Sinespace's are very SL-like; but I used the Xbox controller for Sansar and found it most comfortable. I took note of some upcoming events in each, so I can try to attend a few and get a feel for the communities there.

I also signed up and tried VRChat for the first time. Some of the early videos about VRChat that made some others very excited about it, made me very trepidatious about it. Rooms full of epilep-tastic avatars running around in circles gesture-spamming and hollering over their microphones really wasn't my idea of a great time...but those videos were kind of old and I didn't want to knock the place til I tried it. I was reassured by the tutorial vids about the easy safety controls, so logged in and played around in the "Hub" area for a bit. It seems you can also use an Xbox controller in VRChat - but you constantly have to switch your right hand to the mouse for some things so I just decided to stick with the keyboard and mouse only. It was easy and relaxing, no frenetic grief-y people in the Hub. I didn't manage to catch if there was any easy place to access an event calendar, so I'll have to look for that tomorrow.

Over the weekend I caught Han's panel at the big opensimulator conference, so that was nice.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I've been popping in to High Fidelity recently. It's got user interface issues that make the SL viewer look like an Apple product by comparison, but it feels like hanging out in a Sandbox in 2005 with people doing pretty cool geeky stuff and showing it off.

Still haven't decided whether to go Oculus or Vive.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
According to RyanSchultz's helpful list Sansar, Sinespace, HF, and VRChat are the only VW's that support user-created avatars at this time, although Sansar specifically doesn't seem like it will support nonhumanoid ones, or ones that are significantly different in size from the standard avatar. I like though that all of these, minus HF, support a Blender-Unity creation pipeline, so maybe except for specifics like which skeleton you need to use, once you know how to create stuff for one of them you can do it for all of them.

I'm dragging my feet on trying High Fidelity, though. Their website is aggravatingly short on info. HF might well support a Blender-Unity workflow but I certainly can't find that information on the website; all of the creation information there seems to assume an intent to sell - evidently you upload stuff directly to the marketplace, where it is curated. There's nothing about stuff you may want to upload exclusively for your own use. A look through the marketplace seems to suggest you're also limited to humanoid/bipedal avatars in HF.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
In HF you can create an avatar by putting it online anywhere it can be fetched by HTTP, and then entering the URL in your client.

There is no global user profile, you have to customize your avatar and everything whenever you reinstall the client (the Interface) or on a new machine.

It's all super manual and feels like it's at the level of editing websites in Emacs.

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Secondlfie
Kitely
Very occasionally IMVU
Very Occasionally German grid
Very occasionally sansar
Rarely Sinespace

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I've gotten back into VR lately, so I've been returning to VR worlds. I've not spent much time in them yet, but I have gone back to VRChat, and I also have been checking out the progress of Sansar. I will probably check out High Fidelity and Altspace VR again too.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I like how I can visit and use it without VR - it doesn't alienate us and doesn't limit VR Chat's customer base either.
I haven't got my headset yet, and I couldn't log in to VRchat from the desktop. It put me in a space where I had to pick an avatar by clicking on these plaques, but clicking didn't actually do anything and I gave up.

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I did look at Sansar and Hi Fidelity out of curiosity. It was interesting to experience them but I'm happy with SL so I'm not likely to go back to either for the foreseeable future.

I went back to OpenSim Grid the other day after a long absence. I updated my avatar to look the same as I do in SL. It was a strange experience, like being being in a parallel universe.

I also have a 4 region OpenSim standalone island on my PC. As it's not online nobody else can visit it but I might try and put it on the Hypergrid one day if I can work out how.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

MoiraKathleen

SL Rez
I'm just spending time in SL these days. I have had accounts in some of the OpenSim grids (GCG, Digiworldz, Kitely, Inworldz, Metro) but I end up coming back to SL and pretty much abandoning the other accounts. I don't know if it's just that I get frustrated not being able to find comparable things as I had gotten used to in SL, or what it was exactly that resulted in me abandoning the OpenSim accounts. While it was nice being able to afford to have a full sim, and while I know I could TP or hypergrid to many other places, it just seemed lonely (even though I socialize very little in SL and it doesn't bother me or feel lonely there).

I haven't tried Sansar, High Fidelity or Sinespace yet. While VR sounds cool, it's a little too much for me at this time, but if they also allow desktop non-VR google access, I may take a peek at them, just to get a some idea of what they're like.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Sansar grudgingly supports desktop. Movement on the desktop is a painful combination of using the mouse to adjust your facing and then the arrow keys to walk. It's not like mouselook, it's its own painfully stupid thing.

Desktop High Fidelity is similar to SL in movement. There is a script package for adding more SL features like alt-click camera swinging. There's several versions... the best is by Maki and you can get it at Cute Labs.

Sinespace is in between. It's got the basic movement working, but it's very sensitive to load. If you're in a busy area you just slightly tap left or right and you find you've turned over 90 degrees.

Communication on all three is heavily oriented to voice because typing while wearing goggles is SO not a thing.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: MoiraKathleen

MoiraKathleen

SL Rez
Sansar grudgingly supports desktop. Movement on the desktop is a painful combination of using the mouse to adjust your facing and then the arrow keys to walk. It's not like mouselook, it's its own painfully stupid thing.

Desktop High Fidelity is similar to SL in movement. There is a script package for adding more SL features like alt-click camera swinging. There's several versions... the best is by Maki and you can get it at Cute Labs.

Sinespace is in between. It's got the basic movement working, but it's very sensitive to load. If you're in a busy area you just slightly tap left or right and you find you've turned over 90 degrees.

Communication on all three is heavily oriented to voice because typing while wearing goggles is SO not a thing.
Thanks for the info about movement. I wouldn't have thought it would be so different. I think I'm going to need to visit those places when I know I will have a block of uninterrupted time, so I can really focus on them.