WTF New Lenovov Craptop

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
I loved Lenovo for years, started off with a very elderly S10 laptop I somehow managed (with much help) to get to run SL (graphics at lowest)

I recently bought what was advertised as a new L340 Nvidia laptop, and very soon after my purchase, the machine wouldn't boot up - this was after only 2 hours of use total - and went into repair mode and stuck there.

I panicked and sent it to the Lenovo service center with my SIL who works nearby, after my local puter tech guy told me the HD was very likely corrupted. LSC said they fixed it, they didn't & it came back missing the sound drivers! This isn't unusual over here - one friend had expensive parts extracted from her desktop & replaced with cheap parts by the official brand service senter, all while under warranty.

I was ready to shell out for a new HD. At least I would have a reasonable expectation of a good lifespan, right?

No.

Today my puter guy called me & said it isn't reading the HD, or any others he tried in it, MB may be shot, too. :mad:

I am beyond pissed with Lenovo & the vendor, especially since when I registered the laptop with the US site (am in SE Asia) I found it was first sold in the US in 2019...

Looking into effective threats to get my money back from the store (S E Asia, they do stuff differently here).

I would love to try to understand what the hell is happening inside my poor laptop, as my puter guy (for 10+ years) has never seen or heard anything like this.

Any suggestions?

Summer Haas

Scripted Agent
SL Rez
Sounds like the assessment that the MB is defective is accurate. If the retailer refuses the return then your only option is to keep sending it back for warranty services until they fix it. I've dealt with lemons like this before, eventually it will find its way into the hands of someone halfway competent and will get fixed.

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
Thanks so much for responding, did not see your post at the time. I took your advice.
Months later laptop is functional after LSC replaced the IC at no cost to me. Even Googling around did not explain why or what they did. I'm not tech smart.

As it's my desktop backup for work, I took no chances LSC had really fixed it & took it straight to trusty computer fixer to check out, especially cos it rattled when moved sideways. He extracted some plastic shard, did a check, gave me the thumbs up & its been ok since.