Mitch McConnell Moves to Expand Bill Barr’s Surveillance Powers - Warrentless Searches of Your Browsing History

SL Rez
SLU Posts
To recap, a yes vote on Wyden's bill would disallow mining of our internet data.

"Statement of Purpose: To remove internet website browsing information and search history from scope of authority to access certain business records for foreign intelligence and international terrorism investigations. "

23 Republicans voted yes for the bill. 10 Democrats voted no. For anyone who believes the senate democrats typically gives more of a shit about your privacy, well, this vote doesn't support that theory very much. As for "fucking Bernie" not showing up, that is not good, but it is better than the 10 democrats who voted against it.

U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 116th Congress - 2nd Session

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
You do know that all the passed bill did was maintain current practices? We're being manipulated into foaming at the mouth about this, but I've done more digging.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Thing is, I'm pretty sure that the House has to approve these things.
It does sound like a bicameral bill, however I would not be so sure all Ds will be against this. Plus some things (like treaties) only involve the senate.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I could well be wrong here, since I'm not familiar with the US legislative process, but I think the bill has already passed the House of Representatives in its unamended form and this defeated amendment was an attempt to add a extra provision to a text which that House had already agreed.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
This is attached to renewing the Patriot Act, which is unfortunately a must-pass bill even for Brand D.

• 1Scared
Reactions: Clara D.