Lag - prims, meshes or sculpts?

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Still perfectly reachable (and cachable last I tested) using HTTP, I'm afraid.
Assuming the point of https is to prevent copybotting, would it really have made any difference? The viewer needs the unecrypted data to be able to render an object at all and as long as the viewer code is unencrypted, there's always a way to hack it to gain direct access.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Assuming the point of https is to prevent copybotting, would it really have made any difference? The viewer needs the unecrypted data to be able to render an object at all and as long as the viewer code is unencrypted, there's always a way to hack it to gain direct access.
Oh, I don't care that it uses HTTP - it's a bit faster, no ISP will gain anything from it, there are no passwords or the like, and it's cachable - really, it's good for assets.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
That's semantics. LL calls them "mesh assets".
Frankly, I don't care what they call them. They can call their home page a web asset, but it's not managed by the asset system.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So I have all kinds of computers to benchmark with as my company invests in new hardware frequently. And ones as old as 2014 that cost about $400 at purchase can still get 30 fps on (laptops)

Now what is interesting is the fps drop on certain machines trying to render mesh vs sculpts or prims based on what type of integrated graphics they have.

I have noticed that the apu chips have been way out permorming even some of the newer intel chip sets.

Very interesting. Also really important to keep in mind this is just for sl as they have very different performances for different games.

Mechanical

SL Rez
Then you'll need to carefully create an environment that does not vary from test to test, have rendered elements appear at the same times, and not down how they effect things. ARC is an unhelpful metric, and hidding how laggy an avatar really is.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Vaelissa Cortes

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I have noticed that the apu chips have been way out permorming even some of the newer intel chip sets.
Intel graphics performance is an oxymoron.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
ARC is an unhelpful metric, and hidding how laggy an avatar really is.
The display weight/ARC formula was developed by Nyx Linden and as far as I can see, he did a thorough job. It has a number of minor flaws of course and two medium sized ones, it doesn't actually count the triangles of a mesh - it just uses an estimate - and it shares the same LoD model weight factor as downlaod weight which overestimates the significance of lower LoD models and underestimates the higher ones.

The really serious flaws in the forumla are because it hasn't been updated to account for changes in SL. It completely ignores normal and specular maps, it does not take into account that texturing tend to be far more heavy than it used to be and of course, the really big one, due to the fitmesh LoD bugs, the calculation wil always be way off the moment there is any fitted mesh.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
For the moment - the more leaks we do get about the Intel GPUs to be released in 2020, the more those do look like decent and competitive pieces of hardware.
Forgive me for being skeptical but I've heard that before.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I am very much convinced that Intel is dead serious on producing competitive GPUs, after they hired the former chief GPU architect from AMD in fall 2017. It's a market which gets more and more important in supercomputing and AI, but Intel has nothing there to deliver.

• 1Thanks

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
I am very much convinced that Intel is dead serious on producing competitive GPUs, after they hired the former chief GPU architect from AMD in fall 2017.
They certainly are serious about it but it's not their first try so maybe we should wait and see if they can deliver this time.

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
The display weight/ARC formula was developed by Nyx Linden and as far as I can see, he did a thorough job. It has a number of minor flaws of course and two medium sized ones, it doesn't actually count the triangles of a mesh - it just uses an estimate - and it shares the same LoD model weight factor as downlaod weight which overestimates the significance of lower LoD models and underestimates the higher ones.

The really serious flaws in the forumla are because it hasn't been updated to account for changes in SL. It completely ignores normal and specular maps, it does not take into account that texturing tend to be far more heavy than it used to be and of course, the really big one, due to the fitmesh LoD bugs, the calculation wil always be way off the moment there is any fitted mesh.
To be perfectly honest, when it comes to rendering the folks around me I have a very simple rule of thumb that seems to work much better than trying to find an arbitrary ARC cutoff.

If my framerate sucks, I flip into wireframe mode then jellydoll everyone that still looks perfectly solid....

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Clara, this is only an intermission; there were always bits and pieces, where those two worked together and Intel licensed technology from AMD.

This doesn't change the fact, that Intel wants to become a rival for nVidia, and is planning big things for competition. And if they're finished and their own products are good enough, working together with AMD might change again.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Clara, this is only an intermission; there were always bits and pieces, where those two worked together and Intel licensed technology from AMD.

This doesn't change the fact, that Intel wants to become a rival for nVidia, and is planning big things for competition. And if they're finished and their own products are good enough, working together with AMD might change again.
Things are always changing in the tech world, several years ago there were rumors going around that Intel was looking to buy out nVidia to take on AMD/ATI

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I am very much convinced that Intel is dead serious on producing competitive GPUs,
Speaking as someone who has been repeatedly screwed over by Intel making grand plans and abandoning them, back to the '80s, I am very much convinced that Intel has no bloody idea what it's dead serious about other than the x86 and it's even pulled back from that on occasion.

If AMD hadn't developed a 64 bit extension to the x86 and forced Intel to drop the Itanic as their "dead serious" plan for the future, we'd probably still be arguing about 32-bit vs 64-bit today.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
We'd have nVidia CPU's if Intel hadn't basically paid them not to. Part of the legal settlement (2011) was for nVidia not to have x86.

• 1Thanks

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
The really serious flaws in the forumla are because it hasn't been updated to account for changes in SL. It completely ignores normal and specular maps, it does not take into account that texturing tend to be far more heavy than it used to be
They should have made the ARC increase from textures directly scale with the pixel count. Right now the formula is an absolute joke.

256 + (16 * ( ( height / 128) + (width / 128) ) )

So, a 16x16 texture adds 260 rendering cost.
A 1024x1024 adds...512.

It's as bad as the LOD mistake, if not worse given the average content. What they essentially should have done, is make it a simple formula for the dimension weight like (width * height) / 1024.0. That would result in a 1024x1024 being 1024.0 render weight, while a 16x16 is merely 0.25.
On top of that, yes, add a fixed amount per texture to that - to account for sheer amount of textures used. They already did that with the '256' per texture - just the added scaling calculation is worthless.