Jar Jar Binks Bullied To Near Suicide

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Not even kidding. One of my recommended videos on Youtube this morning came with a thumbnail captioned with "I Played Jar Jar Binks". I'm one of the few people who liked Jar Jar. To me, he was the funny fish guy and nearly the only sense of life among a cast of phoned-in paychecks. It took me quite a bit of time to comprehend what people had against the character. I remain pretty distant from current media. So, if this is too little too late, I apologize.

I'll just assume this is PRS material and I can't quite put more words together.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I stopped watching Star Wars because of the Jar Jar Binks character, which I found so annoying it simply wasn't worth sitting through everything around him. Carrying that emotion over to abusing the actor is just disturbed, truly disturbed. But ask Wil Wheaton about that syndrome...

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If only they followed through with the JarJar sith lord conspiracy theory and made it real. "Mesa gonna come for ya SOUL!!!"

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I never liked the prequels, but I never blamed the actors, and I can't understand the hate directed at especially the ones who had their break-out roles in the series. Jar Jar Binks was WRITTEN as an annoying character, and the actor delivered the performance that the director wanted. Young Aniken was also annoying, but again that is down to the poor writing and the horrible plot of the movies. If Natalie Portman, Samuel Jackson, Liam Neeson, and Ewan McGregor can't salvage their characters under the poor script and direction, why should we expect a less experienced actor to do better?

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Oh, and Jake Lloyd spent middle school being told to kill himself by internet randos. :)

• 1Angry
Reactions: Cristalle

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
It's really fucked up to go after this actor. He was a victim of a badly written script, George Lucas' megalomania and general incompetence.

And as far as I'm concerned, Jar Jar doesn't even come close to being the worst thing about the prequels.

I think people just focused on Jar Jar because his introduction coincided with the moment when most people realized that this film was going to be a major disappointment.

In order to enjoy films like the Star Wars movies, you first have to tune down your critical thinking skills a bit, so you're not bothered by things like lightsabers or sound in a vacuum. You're basically telling your brain to relax and enjoy the ride - this is known as "suspension of disbelief".

For example, after R2D2 and C3PO are being captured by the Jawas, they end up on the farm of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, meeting Luke (who also happens to be the son of Darth Vader, but we don't know that yet). They're probably the only people on Tatooine who can take the droids to Obi Wan Kenobi.

How convenient.

Then again, it's a minor issue and the plot moves on, so it's easily forgiven.

But if the script is bad and the director doesn't know what he's doing, then the inconsistencies and plot holes pile up like snow on a roof - until the whole thing comes crashing down.

And that's what happened with Episode 1.

- It started off with an incredibly boring opening crawler that informed us about space taxes. The original Star Wars opening crawlers were supposed to bring the audience up to speed, this one looked like it was meant to lower our expectations by making it look like we were about to see a C-SPAN broadcast.
- Jedi were space FBI now.
- CGI aliens offended by being blatantly racist Asian stereotypes.
- Palpatine concealed his face by wearing a hood. If that was his intention, then why was he transmitting a visual signal at all?
- Why were the trade federation aliens following his orders?
- The assassination attempt on the Jedi made no sense.
- Being a Jedi now meant you were an action hero with superpowers rather than possessing some sort of spiritual insight.
- The escape plan sucked.

Cut.

And in the next scene, the two guys are sprinting through a forest together.

And your brain goes "WTF just happened, didn't they just split up?".

And ~then~ Jar Jar shows up.

And your brain goes "That's it, I'm not going to sit around and tolerate this crap any longer".

That was the moment when for many people, the movie just fell apart and they realized that they were still at the beginning. But they no longer could ignore all the shit that was going on...

- The Jedi have Batman-style utility belts with respirators that allow them to breathe underwater. How convenient, but why didn't they use those to survive the poison gas earlier?
- The way to the capital city goes through the planet's core.
- All the aliens look extremely cartoonish.
- DUMB NAMES.
- The main characters run around like headless chicken throughout the entire film.

And so on and so forth. You just couldn't unsee what a mess all of it was.

But because the moment when Jar Jar showed up in the film was also the moment when people realized they had been conned, their anger naturally focused on that character.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
But because the moment when Jar Jar showed up in the film was also the moment when people realized they had been conned, their anger naturally focused on that character.
That may explain it for some people, but that's not my experience. I saw enough trailers to get a taste of Jar Jar Binks before watching the movie, and based on that character I passed on watching the movie. I find the character appalling on a number of levels, and his presence was a giant red flag for the sensibilities of the movie makers. Even a cursory glance of reviews afterwards confirmed the wisdom of that decision.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
That may explain it for some people, but that's not my experience. I saw enough trailers to get a taste of Jar Jar Binks before watching the movie, and based on that character I passed on watching the movie. I find the character appalling on a number of levels, and his presence was a giant red flag for the sensibilities of the movie makers. Even a cursory glance of reviews afterwards confirmed the wisdom of that decision.
I'm not saying he wasn't bad - he was.

I'm just saying that a lot of the anger that coalesced around him had other origins.

Think of him as a seed crystal in a cloud, a tiny speck of debris that becomes the core of a snowflake.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
But if the script is bad and the director doesn't know what he's doing, then the inconsistencies and plot holes pile up like snow on a roof - until the whole thing comes crashing down.
You didn't even mention the midiclorian bullshit. That was my WTF moment when I decided I was over the WHOLE star wars franchise.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
You didn't even mention the midiclorian bullshit. That was my WTF moment when I decided I was over the WHOLE star wars franchise.
It was a crucial moment that laid the groundwork for referring to Anakin's powers and how he developed his powers and that his powers doubled and sorry I can't continue with a straight face.