Discord At Center Of US Intelligence Leak

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,973
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
So, basically, this dumbass committed an incredibly dumb act over a dick-size contest with his bros?

Wow. First time that's ever happened.


Oh, stand by. Wait... I'm getting a correction ......

No, I'm sorry, that's the ....... 1,268,427,209th time that has happened.

This week. And it's only Sunday.
The thing that's really got me is that it was a Minecraft server.

I saw headlines about it being a "gamer community" and then a Discord server, and I was picturing in my head like some hardcore shooter like CS:GO or PUBG or maybe a GTA Online server, like one of those games that's notorious for having some truly terrible hypermasculine fans, but....lol, Minecraft? Really? That's like...a casual game. That's like the kind of thing a streamer plays on Tuesday nights between all the big new AAA releases and only has like a dozen people watching.

Obviously there's bad people everywhere but it's not the direction I would've expected a national security breach to come from, lol
 
  • 1Beer
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
432
Location
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
15989
This
The thing that's really got me is that it was a Minecraft server.

I saw headlines about it being a "gamer community" and then a Discord server, and I was picturing in my head like some hardcore shooter like CS:GO or PUBG or maybe a GTA Online server, like one of those games that's notorious for having some truly terrible hypermasculine fans, but....lol, Minecraft? Really? That's like...a casual game. That's like the kind of thing a streamer plays on Tuesday nights between all the big new AAA releases and only has like a dozen people watching.

Obviously there's bad people everywhere but it's not the direction I would've expected a national security breach to come from, lol
I think it's still pretty popular. I even pop in every once in awhile. On Twitch currently there are 101K viewers. One streamer currently has 57.8K viewers.
 
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,443
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
The thing that's really got me is that it was a Minecraft server.

Obviously there's bad people everywhere but it's not the direction I would've expected a national security breach to come from, lol
Honestly, as poorly up to date on the nuance of tech as our government is, I would not be surprised to find out there are breeches and leaks in all sorts of actual games, including Minecraft.

You can write out little books in Minecraft. How would that even be policed? Can you monitor network traffic for the contents of a Minecraft book (for example).

Maybe they go more obscure. Notecards in an OpenSIM instance they are self hosting somewhere, that sort of thing.

Or even not necesarily breeches, just planning. It feels like there are all sorts of Peer to peer style games that bad actors could use to meet in, relatively invisibly, online.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,078
SL Rez
2002
Well it might be that the government is poorly up to date, yes, the intelligence agencies for sure are on another level.

But people leaking stuff or getting access to stuff they should not have to, but "you trust them", is nothing new, just have a look at Edward Snowden.