Common place to get stuff for OpenSim? (other than creating all assets from scratch...)

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There was a script years ago which would copy an object's attributes to chat and then reassemble the object from a notecard containing the chat output. I don't remember what it's called but it's almost certainly around/updated. A Google search and/or pestering the builder's brewery group would suss it out. I can ask next time I hang out in the group, I'm well-known there.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Terrain will still connect properly even if the water level is different, right? Like could I get creative with this, and "build a dam" on the border between two sims with different water levels, and have it visually work?
That's what happens between Oak Grove and Morris.

Daffy

You mean local accounts?

I mean whatever you get when you type "create user" into the opensim server console. I'm assuming they're different from whatever I need to use to go to hypergrid sims? Do I need two accounts that get linked somehow? Or does my account in the home server just get extra bits of information that lets it go to other grids?
The accounts you have created at your local simulator , the avatar firstname ,lastname , and passwords will not change when you teleport to other hypergrids, but your name will show up different on the nametag above your head and in the radar from the viewer.
So, for example, when your avatar name is Chimera Ferret , then in those other grids the name will be shown as Chimera Ferret@123.45.67.89:9000 when that
123.45.67.89 would be your IP adress and 9000 would be the simulator port from your local simulator.
Once back home it will change back to the normal avatar name without those numbers.

Chimera245

Does that mean just by going out into the hypergrid, other people will know my IP address? If so, is there any way to hide that?

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If they don't have your IP address they can't communicate with you.

Second life is unusual in that the sim is an anonymizing proxy and unless you connect to a third party server (eg for media or voice) your IP address isn't shared past Linden Lab.

Daffy

Does that mean just by going out into the hypergrid, other people will know my IP address? If so, is there any way to hide that?
Yes, there is a way to change it , when you make use of a free dns Hosting service.
Once you got a account on such DNS hoster you can replace the ip adresses in the configuration ini files from your simulator
with that new string. And let's say you made a account somewhere named BlueoceanGrid , then you could end up with a name
like Chimera Ferret@BlueoceanGrid.myfreedns.net:9000, or with Chimera Ferret@BlueoceanGrid.mywire.org:9000 ,
wich will be your nametag above your avatar once you TP over to the hypergrid.
When your internet connection isn't a static one , so that you ISP gives you quite often a new dynamic IP adress, then you probably
will want to use such service anyway. Otherwise , after every external Ip adress change you would have to edit some ini files before
starting up your simulator, by using a dns account you won't have that problem.

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Yes.
Proxy? Maybe?

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Daffy: Using DNS to identify yourself doesn't do anything to hide your IP address because the whole point of DNS is looking up IP addresses.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber and Free

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I wonder if there are any SL content creators who have released some of their older creations - e.g. mesh clothes or hair - as free downloadable files that can be imported to an OpenSim standalone. Of course, content creators shouldn't be expected to give their stuff away for free, but it's not unreasonable to suppose that some might have chosen to do so. I've not been able to find any decent simple walk or run animation files to use on my standalone. If you want a freebie walk with occasional hops while holding a drink, or a backwards walk with flailing arms - no problem, but try and find a simple walk!

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
To download from Github, click on the green Code button and select Download ZIP. That will give you everything in that repo. That's how you can get the mesh bodies. The Ruth2 3.0 and 4.0 are in the zip in a folder named Mesh.

Original Character

Excuse me if this topic is too old, but this is an area that interests me. I think there is very little good-quality content on Opensim (as per my standards).

There's a lot CC0 assets that can be adapted for Opensim use, if you know where to look.

I'd suggest searching itch.io and OpenGameArt for models you desire. Quaternius also has some really good models. Textures.com and AmbientCG.com have plenty of textures.

https://quaterniushttps://itch.io/ .com/ has good-quality free models.

Remember to optimise and LOD, and check to see if you're getting the licence you want. :)

I'm not sure if it's REALLY intuitive, but Blender is very good 3D modelling program that has a lot of community support, it's as good as Maya or 3DMax in it's usefulness and quality, and it's free.

Last edited:

Jupiter Rowland

The one with the Roth2 v2
SL Rez
I wonder if there are any SL content creators who have released some of their older creations - e.g. mesh clothes or hair - as free downloadable files that can be imported to an OpenSim standalone. Of course, content creators shouldn't be expected to give their stuff away for free, but it's not unreasonable to suppose that some might have chosen to do so. I've not been able to find any decent simple walk or run animation files to use on my standalone. If you want a freebie walk with occasional hops while holding a drink, or a backwards walk with flailing arms - no problem, but try and find a simple walk!
The only one I'm aware of who did that was Damien Fate whose fitted (?) mesh clothes templates, previously Second Life-only payware, are now available as free downloads on Outworldz. They've been used as bases for mesh clothes countless times, and they still are. They may have a strange fit sometimes, but they're often the best you can get without having to resort to stolen content, and at least the women's tops play well with some of the Clutterfly bottoms while working reasonably well on Ruth2 v4.