Common place to get stuff for OpenSim? (other than creating all assets from scratch...)

Chimera245

I've just recently set up an OpenSim standalone server on my home server, with the intention for everyone in the house to be able to connect to it and build stuff.

But I'm walking around as a Ruth-noob, and I wanna not do that. Is there anything like the Second Life Marketplace, but for Opensim? The closest thing I can find is Kitely, but it seems to need to either deliver to the Hypergrid, (which my server is not connected to) or to set up some sort of special settings on my server to be able to communicate with it. (Which I probably don't have the technical skills for. I JUST got my server up and running after working at it for most of yesterday and today...)

I'm hoping for some sort of "here's a bunch of textures, mesh, animations, scripts, etc. on a well-organized website. Download the raw files for free/cheap/expensive-if-it's-really-really-good, and upload them into OpenSim" kind of place. Is there anything like that?

If not... does anyone know a REALLY intuitive, easy-to-use 3d modeling program that can do everything you need to make stuff for Second Life/OpenSim?

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Check out Zadaroo.com(link), LOTS of stuff. Not as good as what you can find on SL but considerably better then what's bundled with OpenSimulator.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I think Zadaroo has a lot of them but you can search for "OpenSIM Oars" and find full sims set up with stuff.

What I have done, is I will set up a region just for "temporary OARs" and one next door for storage.

I will then load an OAR into the temporary region, strip out anything that might be useful and sort it into the storage OAR, then repeat, with different OARs.

The idea is toe create my own region of useful assets I can copy as needed.

It's been a while since I have done this though because I have not really run OS in a while.

If you can Hyper grid out to other OpenSIM instances, you also can find copy/mod objects out there. Collect them to your inventory, then bring them home. Alternatively if it's a full perm object, you may be able to just connect to the other grid, then export the object using Firestorm's export feature, then import it to your home grid.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Fionalein

Chimera245

Holy crap, this is exactly the kinda thing I was looking for, Thank you!

Also, that "temporary OAR" idea sounds genius. Is it possible to switch out regions while the whole server is still running? Or do I have to shut down Opensim, swap out, then restart?

Actually, on that note, is there any kind of "OpenSim Management For Dummies" kind of tutorials out there? Everything I can find is either highly technical, or incredibly vague, and I'm hoping not to have to bother the internet everytime I need to do something I haven't done before.

Last edited:

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I always have to look up the commands but you can do it while it's running. Heck, I am pretty sure you can do it while logged in and in the region.

In the command prompt console:

Basically, off the top of my head it's something like

> Create region RegionName RedionName.ini

Then it prompts you for some info like ports and whatnot. Most of the defaults can be kept but I think each region has to have its own port. So keeping a list can help keep track of which ports you used. You may have to open firewall ports as well, I usually just open 9000-9010 when I set up OpenSIM, because then I have a runway of ports available. Also the coordinates must be unique. Once again, some notes to keep track of what you used it good. I would suggest for a temporary oar region going like 10 x10 away from your main area (see later)

RegionName can be whatever you want.

Then I think the command is

> Change region RegionName

This should change the promo to show the current region name of RegionName.

Then it's load oar Filename.oar

I mentioned earlier putting the region away a bit because some oars are larger than 256x256. You don't want to accidentally overwright the neighbor regions.

It can take a bit to load depending on your server specs. If you are in world you can watch it all pop in.

Chimera245

Thanks. What server specs does it depend on for load time? Just in case I decide it's worth it to upgrade...

Chimera245

Two questions:

1. Is there much of a rigged/fitted/bento mesh body presence in OpenSim? A lot of resources I see are still stuck in the "sculpted prim" era.

2. Is there a way to change the water level in a sim? Or at least globally? You can only lower the land so much, and I wanna know if its possible to have a "deep sea" themed area without just faking it in a giant skybox.

Chimera245

Ferrets? no, it's just a single sim with a downloaded Zadaroo freebie mall at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as I started up the opensim.exe, and managed to log in with firestorm, the little starting island was just LITTERED with ferrets. But one by one, I grabbed them and chucked them into the infinite ocean.

Daffy

Ferrets? no, it's just a single sim with a downloaded Zadaroo freebie mall at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as I started up the opensim.exe, and managed to log in with firestorm, the little starting island was just LITTERED with ferrets. But one by one, I grabbed them and chucked them into the infinite ocean.
Two questions:

1. Is there much of a rigged/fitted/bento mesh body presence in OpenSim? A lot of resources I see are still stuck in the "sculpted prim" era.

2. Is there a way to change the water level in a sim? Or at least globally? You can only lower the land so much, and I wanna know if its possible to have a "deep sea" themed area without just faking it in a giant skybox.
There is plenty of rigged mesh in opensim , so it's worth changing your standalone into a hypergidded standalone, wich allows you to
teleport from that standalone to other grids and mini hypergids, and bring back items from the opensim grids over to your mini grid.

In the viewer, FS, World> Region Details>Terrain you see a water height option, you can put the water higher there.
Normally the water is from 0 to 20 meters, you can't terraform there below the 0 meters. If you really want to have deep water
then you could first load your oar ,or terrain only oar, to let's say 50 meter high.
First, when you have multiple regions, you will have to make 1 region active by typing in the console "change region xxxxxxx",
where xxxxx is your region name.
So, when your region name is "DeepOcean" then you must type "change region DeepOcean ", followed by enter on your keyboard.
Now that particular region is active, and you can perform other console actions to that region.
So, now you could load any oar there, but this time with a special command in order to have it loaded at a higher groundlevel.

It goes as following: load oar --merge --displacement "<0,0,50>" --force-terrain xxxxxxx.oar
This will load the oar " xxxxxxxx.oar" at a height of 50 meters .( originally the oar probably was made at around 21 meter terrain level)
If you want it higher then type for instance : load oar --merge --displacement "<0,0,100>" --force-terrain xxxxxxx.oar
You can try any height, even up to a few thousand meters, but it will look a bit odd having your terrain and buildings up that high,
and i'm not sure if the terrain texture options ( in the viewer TAB : World > Region Details> Terrain) go that far.

Anyway, now the original terrain loads a lot higher, and now you can move up the waterlevel to 40 meters or higher, and thus
you have a lot more deep water on your simulator under the terrain you loaded there.

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles

Chimera245

If I turn it into hypergrid, does that mean other people can get to my grid? Or does that stay separate unless I do something specific to let them in?

Daffy

When you modify the setup of the standalone simulator, and turn it into a hypergridded standalone simulator it still works like a separate grid,
but you can teleport out from your mini standalone grid to other grids and teleport back.
Other people from other (hypergrid enabled) grids can teleport to your mini grid and back, but only when your regions are set "Public" in
FS > World> Region Details>Estate ("Allow Public Access" checkmarked)

When you uncheck "Allow Public Access "then only the owner/creator of the region will have access to the region, and that owner can add estate managers, groups, and residents in the same Region/Estate screen ,wich means the region is privat and only accessable by you and
your friends coming in from the outside. Your friends must be listed then in "Estate Managers", or in "groups", or in "'allowed residents".
You may want also to create a group in FS >World >Parcel Details , set it there and add that group also to World> Region Details >Estate.

I don't know excatly what your IP adress is, or your ddns name, but assuming you will use your home IP adress, the access to your mini grid
for people from other grids will be that particular home IP adress followed by the region port number (9000?) and startregion name.

People from other grids can put that "IPadress ,port,region name " string in the adress box from the Big Map from the viewer, then click on
find, and when your start region shows up in the Big Map they can teleport over....when the region is set to " Allow Public Access".

Your friends can use a viewer such as Firestorm (opensim version) , or singularity or any other opensim viewer, then they can teleport
directly to your mini grid by adding the http://your Ip adress:9000 in the gridlist from the viewer (Preferences > opensim> gridmanager)
Once the grid is created there they select that gridname on login in the gridlist , and they will land directly on the start region from your grid.
Or on last location or home when they have been there before and created a home location.

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Two questions:

Yes, but most of them are copybotted.

However, there is a opensim-specific body call "Ruth2" (and the male equivalent -"Roth").

https://github.com/RuthAndRoth/Ruth

You can raise the water level in the estate tools. Of course, if you have several regions connected side-by-side you'll want all of them to have the same water level. But it's trival to do.

With OpenSim you can have regions that are much larger than 256sqm; 512, 1024, 2048 and possibly larger are possible. It was limited in recent releases (for performance reasons) but not in any way that would really impact you.

I mention this because if I was going to make a marine region, I'd want it to be no less than 1024.

Chimera245

Thanks for all the help.
Also:
Give me more of it.

H1. If i set the grid to private, will all accounts that are already created on my server still be able to log in? Will they need to be manually listed as "estate managers/allowed residents/etc." or will they somehow be "converted" along with the sim when I change it to hypergrid?

H2. Other than getting to go shopping for decent stuff, what are upsides and downsides of setting it up to work with the hypergrid?

H3. If I connect to the hypergrid, but then decide later that I don't want it set up that way anymore, what will happen? Will I still have any inventory I got from it? Will anything change on the sim itself?

M1. From what I've gathered from context, "copybotted" basically means "plagiarized/pirated/etc." right? Is there any way to know for sure if something is safe beyond just searching for it on the SL Marketplace and seeing if there's a hit?

M2. I am absolutely terrible at navigating Github. Where do I download the actual Ruth or Roth bodies? I'm sure I'm just overlooking something obvious...

W1. If I raise the water level in one sim, and don't raise it in another neighboring sim, what will happen? Will I see the raised water level looking weird from the next sim over? Like with a magic standing wall of water at the sim's edge? Or will all the water look the same, and just suddenly pop to a different level when I cross the sim boundary?

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Thanks for all the help.
Also:
Give me more of it.

H1. If i set the grid to private, will all accounts that are already created on my server still be able to log in? Will they need to be manually listed as "estate managers/allowed residents/etc." or will they somehow be "converted" along with the sim when I change it to hypergrid?
No problem!

You mean local accounts? I don't believe they'll change. There are ways to restrict who can visit specific regions (owners only, for instance) but I don't remember where they're set at right now.
H2. Other than getting to go shopping for decent stuff, what are upsides and downsides of setting it up to work with the hypergrid?
Upside:
Connecting with people on other hypergrid connected grids
Being able to attend events on other grids
Collaborating with other people to put on shared roleplay, music events, whatever

Downside
Connecting with people on other hypergrid connected grids
Harassment (I've never experienced this -but I keep my regions locked down, too)
Anything on your grid that people have access to can be copybotted (which is just as true in SL)
Misc dramas (where there's people -there's drama)

H3. If I connect to the hypergrid, but then decide later that I don't want it set up that way anymore, what will happen? Will I still have any inventory I got from it? Will anything change on the sim itself?
It depends. I've had some "missing inventory" issues restoring backups where assets that couldn't be located from the hypergrid (grids were down, unresponsive or no longer in existence) during backup -but by and large it won't make too much of a difference.

At least it hasn't for me.
M1. From what I've gathered from context, "copybotted" basically means "plagiarized/pirated/etc." right? Is there any way to know for sure if something is safe beyond just searching for it on the SL Marketplace and seeing if there's a hit?
Make it yourself, or upload it from established open source websites ( Zadaroo, Outworldz -check the licenses if you care).

Be aware that just because you see something on the marketplace does not necessarily mean that it's unauthorized. E.G. Aley/Arcadia Asylum's stuff is all over Opensim -with her explicit permission (Yours Truly helped, and discussed it with her face-to-face). Likewise for Zadaroo/Linda Kellie. It's also not unheard of for merchants to bring stuff to opensim when they retire from SL (but leave their stuff on MP).

Conversely, if you see something that says it's "free for sharing" it doesn't necessarily mean that it's open source -there's been a deliberate effort to blur the lines between "free to take" (often stolen) items and legit open source. (in this case follow the rule "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" )

If you're worried from a professional or enterprise perspective then I'd talk to your company's legal counsel and get their advice.

If you're worried from an personal ethics perspective, stick to open source and DIY builds (where I can, I try to use Filterforge textures, since I have a license for it and therefore I own anything I render with it).

M2. I am absolutely terrible at navigating Github. Where do I download the actual Ruth or Roth bodies? I'm sure I'm just overlooking something obvious...
You're not -I am simply not sure. I think there's a discord link on the README.md ? I'd suggest going into their discord channel and asking where copies can be gotten from. The only places I'm aware of are either out of date, or homebrew variations with quirks.
W1. If I raise the water level in one sim, and don't raise it in another neighboring sim, what will happen? Will I see the raised water level looking weird from the next sim over?
Yes, exactly that. Play with it; it's easy enough to fix (just adjust the settings in land tools.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
W1. If I raise the water level in one sim, and don't raise it in another neighboring sim, what will happen? Will I see the raised water level looking weird from the next sim over? Like with a magic standing wall of water at the sim's edge? Or will all the water look the same, and just suddenly pop to a different level when I cross the sim boundary?
You will see the water surface sort of floating in the air above the water in the sim with the lower water level. If you cam under the ground on the border between Oak Grove and Morris you can see the effect.

Edit: Snapzilla Snapshot ~ Renard Littlepaws - 3 different water levels.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
One last point about Ruth2; at one point there was an IAR files included that you could load on the console thus:
load iar <firstname> <lastname> <inventory path> <passwword> <iar file location>
eg
load iar Han Held / 123 ./MyIarFile.iar
I don't know if they still include that, or if the IAR they do include is current or not. You should ask them in Discord or on Mewe.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Any ferrets?
Argent's been asking this question for years.
Your reply is the best response to it I've ever seen in the 10 years I've been here.

Cheers!

Chimera245

You mean local accounts?
I mean whatever you get when you type "create user" into the opensim server console. I'm assuming they're different from whatever I need to use to go to hypergrid sims? Do I need two accounts that get linked somehow? Or does my account in the home server just get extra bits of information that lets it go to other grids?

You will see the water surface sort of floating in the air above the water in the sim with the lower water level.
Terrain will still connect properly even if the water level is different, right? Like could I get creative with this, and "build a dam" on the border between two sims with different water levels, and have it visually work?

Chimera245

Well, that's why I wanna know about underwater sims. The very last ferret gave me sad puppy-dog eyes as it flew from my grasp, and now I feel bad. I'm trying to build an underwater sim so I can dive down and rescue them.