Cohen Files Implicate Trump, Hope Hicks & David Pecker in Campaign Finance Crime

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
We have a shot at Utah - and its only because of Mitt Romney. I can't see him inspiring anyone to vote Trump. Other than that, the coast is all going to go blue. Colorado will likely go blue.

But, we also have shots at Michigan and Wisconsin. Look what they did in the mid-terms. That is an opportunity that can't be ignored.
I hope so, so much. That means getting out the vote in SLC, something I should pay more attention to, LGBTO organizers will be crucial.

NV, AZ and NM are doable with good turnout. The purpling of AZ is fascinating to watch. I voted for Tipirneni and she did okay but the person who got it is a Trumpian freak. Time is on our side.

• 1Like
Reactions: Eunoli

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I like Bernie. I still have my "Birdie Sanders" stickers from when the sparrow landed on his shoulder in Portland. But, the moment that people start to realize that his version of Medicare for All takes away their current insurance there's going to be a lot less support for him. Elizabeth Warren has the same problem. I really, really wish they'd back up a little to the version some other candidates are offering that allows people to keep their own insurance if they want it. No one is going to want it for long, anyway. But, the Republicans will shout out "they're taking away your health care!" while denying they want to do the same and it will become very, very difficult to win when the candidates are just responding with "yes, but Medicare". Taking things away /especially healthcare or the perception of it/ has never been a winning strategy, even when logical.
This could really be the healthcare election if one of the candidates would work it out with good details and messaging. And they’re just not there yet. And the DNC is too corporate to not be part of the problem. It’s frustrating. Warren’s plan seems unaware of the poverty that accompanies so much chronic illness, which is really unlike her and worrisome. Bernie is aware, but not giving us better concrete messaging.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Eunoli

Romana

SL Rez
This could really be the healthcare election if one of the candidates would work it out with good details and messaging. And they’re just not there yet. And the DNC is too corporate to not be part of the problem. It’s frustrating. Warren’s plan seems unaware of the poverty that accompanies so much chronic illness, which is really unlike her and worrisome. Bernie is aware, but not giving us better concrete messaging.
If it's the healthcare election, they'll have to directly address the Republican scare ads this time. If Medicare for all is on the table, the Rs are going to push "ZOMG they're taking away private health insurance!!!11!!" Also probably "death panels"again, which there already are, in the form of rationing of care, which has existed as long as managed care has, and it's worse without the ACA or local laws providing some protection.
In general, though, the Democrats can't ignore the attack ads this time. Taking the high road and assuming people will have any intelligence won't work well enough.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
If it's the healthcare election, they'll have to directly address the Republican scare ads this time.
I would just add the Medicare option to the ACA Marketplace, and a direct buy-in for people who earn too much for the ACA program. "Medicare for all who want it". You can choose the other plans if you want.

The real question is how to pay for it. Medicare for those over 65 is mostly supported by employment taxes on people who are working. People who get it do pay a premium, but it is fairly small. If more people are allowed in the program, that means it needs more funding.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Romana

Romana

SL Rez
I would just add the Medicare option to the ACA Marketplace, and a direct buy-in for people who earn too much for the ACA program. "Medicare for all who want it". You can choose the other plans if you want.

The real question is how to pay for it. Medicare for those over 65 is mostly supported by employment taxes on people who are working. People who get it do pay a premium, but it is fairly small. If more people are allowed in the program, that means it needs more funding.
I imagine the premium would have to go up. Or...
My brother, a doctor, is always telling me that Medicare is the best coverage because you can see any doctor. To make Medicare For All more affordable they might do different levels of coverage fur different prices like insurance is now. That would not be much of an improvement, if any, over the current situation.

Eunoli

I am sure that if she put her mind to it, Elizabeth Warren could come up with a plan for that.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I am sure that if she put her mind to it, Elizabeth Warren could come up with a plan for that.
The devil is in the details with this one. They shouldn't allow deductibles and prescription costs that create barriers to care for the disabled poor and working poor, or allow gaps in coverage that endanger people with serious illnesses.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana