Zooby Releases Animesh Babies in Second Life: I Test Drive One.

Sid

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So within 3 years there will be a market for SL Kindergardens?

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Zooby babies aren't my thing but this makes me excited for their eventual animesh updates for their animals.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Yeah I think that this product is a significant step up from the NPC babies that were on the market.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I dunno....prim babies obviously isn't my thing, but they DO look a heck of a lot better than the older versions that I've seen.

As a proof-of-concept for NPCs it's very impressive and pets/animals they eventually come up with should look equally good. My questions are mostly about script impact. Wandering prim animals are notoriously sim-lagging, and I'm wondering how these new animesh NPCs will compare. Animations should be technically less laggy server-side than scripts - I think - when you take them one-to-one; but the animesh NPCs will still need scripts to trigger their animations, so I wonder how much difference it will actually make.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Animations should be technically less laggy server-side than scripts
Animations are all client side and shouldn't cause any load on the sim at all. Animesh doesn't use animations to move around though - that wouldn't work very well. It uses... (spoiler tag to protect sensitive old-timers)

PATHFINDING!
But apparently LL has did a little bit of cleanup in conjunction with the launch of animesh. It still takes up a minimum of 3-5 ms frame time but at least some of the flaws that could cause the number to go through the roof shuold be fixed.

So if a region has one or more mobile animesh characters, they will take up 15-25% of the region's allocated processing time. There's no way to avoid that. If they are poorly scripted or there are other problems with them, it may be considerably more.

Last edited:

Ailsa Muliaina

They're obviously well made and someone's taken time, but that's off the scale creepy :D I'm interested to see what some of the pets look like though, I don't find animals creepy in SL unless they're the dead-eyed horses.

A LI of 15 per animesh plus the mesh itself might curtail some breedable animesh pets. Unless there are options like with kittycats where you can switch them to use less LI or go into the website. Even just being really modest with a breedable, it doesn't take long before you have a menagerie.