Wuhan Coronavirus Updates

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I wonder if public skepticism early on played a role in perhaps interfering with an aggressive management of the problem. I remember that at the beginning of this outbreak, there were a number of these kind of human-interest press stories following (non-sick) residents of Wuhan and highlighting their complaints about how difficult daily life had become in the city under the quarantine rules. And the impression I got from it all is that the takeaway at the time was supposed to be that the Chinese authorities were unfairly making peoples' lives there quite miserable over something that wasn't really that big of a deal. Except, come to find out, well it kind of is that big of a deal, and in fact the Chinese authorities might not have acted as fast or as directly as they maybe should have.

And people still have that attitude. The US just recently evacuated scores of American passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and a lot of those passengers are outraged that they're going to have to be quarantined for two weeks when they get home, insisting that the two weeks they spent "quarantined" on the ship (where reported numbers of infected have been increasing daily) should "count" as good enough for the purpose despite the painfully obvious fact that it has been inadequate.

For Karey Mansicalco, who owns a real estate company in Utah, the news yanked freedom from her hands at the 11th hour.

"It's like a prison sentence for something I did not do," she told CNN from her cabin. "They are holding us hostage for absolutely no reason."
"Absolutely no reason" for the quarantine, she says.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau and eku zhong

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
If Covid-19 spreads it won't be from China, it'll be from the idiots controlling the Diamond Princess.
The Westerdam is just as bad, if not worse. These infected passengers are disembarking in Cambodia, which has a far weaker healthcare infrastructure than Japan.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Archer and eku zhong

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I wonder if public skepticism early on played a role in perhaps interfering with an aggressive management of the problem.
From what I've read, the greatest contributing factor was fear of the central government. Local officials were too frightened of the ruling party to bring up "bad news", especially during the important annual meetings scheduled for early in the year. So they tried to hide the outbreak for as long as possible. Then the autocratic central party appears to have done it's usual job of an iron-fist rule to keep news of the "unpleasantness" from getting out.

The Atlantic just ran an interesting story on China's competing brands of authoritarianism and the effect that has on their ability to deal with emergencies.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau and eku zhong

Archer

Who knew?
SL Rez
Joined SLU
From what I've read, the greatest contributing factor was fear of the central government. Local officials were too frightened of the ruling party to bring up "bad news", especially during the important annual meetings scheduled for early in the year. So they tried to hide the outbreak for as long as possible. Then the autocratic central party appears to have done it's usual job of an iron-fist rule to keep news of the "unpleasantness" from getting out.

The Atlantic just ran an interesting story on China's competing brands of authoritarianism and the effect that has on their ability to deal with emergencies.

And you can expand that to the US - to the vast majority of GOP-run localities, cities, and states. They will not want to risk the wrath of the orange one by starting to report "bad news" on this particular front. The CDC can only do so much but in the end, politics will win out.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
And you can expand that to the US - to the vast majority of GOP-run localities, cities, and states. They will not want to risk the wrath of the orange one by starting to report "bad news" on this particular front. The CDC can only do so much but in the end, politics will win out.
Politics and huge numbers of un- or under-insured citizens.