Wow, Sansar has dramatically improved

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I've been checking back in to Sansar periodically, the last time being when they first added the new home space that you sign into. Since then, they seem to have been making some really meaningful changes tha have noticeably improved the experience, especially the social aspects of the platform. Today I spent a little time exploring the new social hub, and honestly it reminded me of a much larger scale version of SL welcome areas (in a good way). Simple things like being able to run, jump and also click to sit down on furniture, along with menus to quickly find places to go, modify your avatar, find events, etc.. really, go a long way toward making Sansar not feel like a museum of pretty, lifeless experiences. I definitely plan on spending a lot more time checking it out in the future.

Here are some screen shots I took. One thing that really impressed me was that a mesh tshirt I had initially did not fit my avatar right, but there was a button to adjust it that ran a cloth simulator and it flowed correctly on my avatar. I tried all of this just in the desktop version, not in VR (Sansar was already impressive in VR). I think LL is finally making meaningful improvements and shaping Sansar into something to watch.

Last edited:

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Hey, I wonder what'll happen if I leap off this cliff? Hey, that's pretty cool! I wonder what I'll find at the bottom? Damn, that was lame.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

Sid

In lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
some kickass features are on todo list...
The Lab had and has kickass features on the todo list of SL as well.
They almost never managed to accomplish one of them really kickass and they almost never will in the future. Because of being LL and having the structure of LL.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I'm building a new sim in SL. This thread is tempting me to try putting in a more detailed version of it in Sansar as I go along. Just wish I didn't have to pay to do it.

To add to what Sid said, I think its more that SL has a ton of legacy spaghetti code that is super hard to unravel all the pieces of when they try to do this stuff. In other words, to add x, they have to in and change y, z, q, r, t & s and then they find out that m won't work at all with it. In a lot of ways, I wish Sansar /was/ the next SL and not something totally different.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
You can put a version of your sim in High Fidelity, you just need to host it somewhere.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Eunoli

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I've just been informed that the avatar creation tools now support scaling....which means I can make a kid-avatar in Sansar. It's all over now, guys... :cool:

I'd have to make and import it myself though, since obvs there's nothing on the market like that.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi and Shiloh Lyric

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
It’s becoming quite clear to me that the “next” SL will not be anything that exists now, unless it can generate a new community of support. I don’t know how much LL realizes that excommunicating the education community was suicidal. I think with some tweaks education and the adult community could have co-existed, possibly separately.

Pushing world creation onto creators will not create a community of critical mass size.

If there’s ever going to be a “3D internet” it needs to be open standards, but it also needs to be a place where non-technical people can create. SL was like that for a time. Basic e-commerce is like that now. It’s canned and it’s cheap and dummies on phones can visit it.

8bit Biologist

It’s becoming quite clear to me that the “next” SL will not be anything that exists now, unless it can generate a new community of support. I don’t know how much LL realizes that excommunicating the education community was suicidal. I think with some tweaks education and the adult community could have co-existed, possibly separately.

Pushing world creation onto creators will not create a community of critical mass size.

If there’s ever going to be a “3D internet” it needs to be open standards, but it also needs to be a place where non-technical people can create. SL was like that for a time. Basic e-commerce is like that now. It’s canned and it’s cheap and dummies on phones can visit it.
I think this hits the nail on the head, and pinpoints the issue with High Fidelity, Sansar, Sinespace, Altspace VR, Decentraland, etc . When you leave content creation to the users, you get a grab bag of stuff that does not a world make. It should be a concerted efforts by expert content creators, with specific use cases targeted by the environment and the UI.

Also, IMHO, it comes from a standalone headset. I do, however, applaud Decentraland for it's limited land, blockchain approach. I do think that that's part of the future SL.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think this hits the nail on the head, and pinpoints the issue with High Fidelity, Sansar, Sinespace, Altspace VR, Decentraland, etc . When you leave content creation to the users, you get a grab bag of stuff that does not a world make. It should be a concerted efforts by expert content creators, with specific use cases targeted by the environment and the UI.
I think you missed her hammering. But in reply, your "specific use cases" aims use cases towards gaming, rather than a sandbox environment virtual worlds tend to be.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

Also, IMHO, it comes from a standalone headset. I do, however, applaud Decentraland for it's limited land, blockchain approach. I do think that that's part of the future SL.
It can’t just be the experts involved in creation, though. If VWs are to be more than games or social media, they have to be usable by nontechnical people. The education community SL had was an example of this. Some of the builds were led by technically inclined people, but not all.

2D internet finally took off when there were enough ways for the nontechnical masses to use it. Open standards and consistent user expectations kept the users from being sorted into silos or locked onto single platforms.

This means that creation tools that enable nontechnical users have to exist. Almost every major web hosting company has a simplified building tool for websites and many of them support e-commerce. SL and Minecraft have simple building tools, but they are silos. Sandbox games are silos.

The question of “why should I visit someone’s private build?” can only be answered in a real life social or economic context. I can see myself visiting a 3D museum exhibit or furniture showroom if I can do it on my midrange phone over WiFi without a big hassle to download and log in. The creator should be able to set up something adequate with a medium level computer and with a competent but not technical level of user knowledge. It needs to be easy for interested users and builders to connect in a community so they can grow a common pool of knowledge and interest.

Anything more difficult is beta ware and won’t generate more than a niche or siloed community.

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
When you leave content creation to the users, you get a grab bag of stuff that does not a world make. It should be a concerted efforts by expert content creators, with specific use cases targeted by the environment and the UI.
Every system that has tried to compete with Second Life using "professional content" as its pull, like Blue Mars, has failed. Second Life succeeded by leaving content creation to the users, AND by making it easy for people who aren't experts.

8bit Biologist

Every system that has tried to compete with Second Life using "professional content" as its pull, like Blue Mars, has failed. Second Life succeeded by leaving content creation to the users, AND by making it easy for people who aren't experts.
Just because it's professional, it doesn't mean it's good. And the best content in Second Life was professional. Not by LL, but by individuals who were expert builders. like the Smithsonian space, several museums, and artist installations. But again, looking at the myriad of virtual worlds I mentioned - not working for them.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
It doesn’t matter whether the content is “professional” or not, if your goal is to build up a large, possibly even mass-market user community. There are plenty of AAA games, but they are all silos, not a 3D internet.

What matters to large-scale acceptance is ease of use and the scaling of the community. An example of a potentially mass scaling social community that is not evil, is Mastodon. I want the 3D multiverse of the future to have similar community virtues and ease of use. If professionals want to participate, and they will, that’s great, but a large community must be much more than a small fraction of people to take off.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
And the best content in Second Life was professional.
A tiny percentage, for most of its life. Most of it hasn't been, and a lot of people gained that professional skill by starting out noodling around in Second Life. I watched many avatar creators grow in skill over the years, and if they hadn't been able to get their foot in early on when SL was crude and primmy I don't think they would have been there. SL today is moving away from what made it successful: easy in-world building that produced a flood of hobbyists and hobbyist content.

Gear

Genuine Imitation Riku Android
SL Rez
Blender moving towards greater accessibility is going to help on that end, but more people need to join groups like Blender Benders.

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
It might help a bit but without in-world building SL would never have taken off, and I don't think any successor will manage it so long as it depends on Blender or equivalents.

Edit: I've heard good things about Blender moving to a less abusive GUI, along with whining from people suffering from Stockholm Syndrome over the old version. But still, it's not like cooperative building in a sandbox for getting up to speed.

Last edited: