Would you ever give your avatar(s) an Instagram?

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
i have an instagram account. but i've not used it yet. I use my rl instagram account all the time. Managing another one would be annoying. I have flickr for my SL images.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have thought about it. The problem I have is I create accounts for my Avatar then forget about them and neglect them.

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I use instagram for SL stuff frequently. I use ti more frequently then flickr even. I find it a lot less insular and there's a great amount of flow, communication, and mutual respect between the communities for SL, IMVU, Avakin LIfe, VR Chat, and The Sims.

I don't use Instagram in RL or SL, same goes for Facebook. For other platforms, I just give people my RL profiles if they ask. I'm the same person - Ailsa's just cuter, feline and swears less. Though Ailsa on Twitter would rage tweet whenever I nuke her house to build something, poor cat has nothing but rezzers this week :D

I have 1 account per platform and that covers my RL work/personal stuff. It's a really handy setup for me, I just post things once for everybody and I can't get into fights because I know clients/my mum would see.

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
She has a Flickr already.
How would you post from SL to Instagram? Don't you have to upload from a phone?

OhSynclair

.fromthedepths.
SL Rez
I thought about using Insta for my account, only because I'm a roleplayer and thought it would be funny to mimic those dumb Insta accounts using my own character and putting his "life" on social media. It would also give me something else to do on SL for the content.

I'm not sure. It's tempting.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jet Rhapsody

Tris

busy pushing buttons
Joined SLU
02-19-2011
SLU Posts
No.
And no FB or whatever else Zuckerberg owns/makes/dreams of either.

• 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Sky00 and Temptryst

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Instagram is really a thing for avatars? Amazing, and so far I only thought that self-adulation is only happening on Flickr - and not even there any longer, because you've got to pay again for the premium status there.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Something I will add here, Instagram is really bad about connecting accounts that are sharing an app. I have a couple of regular accounts and the friend seggections are all cross referenced.

Adeon Writer

All of my internet accounts are either named Adeon or Adeon Writer. My SL avatar is a personal character/mascot I use everywhere, but I don’t consider it a separate identity from myself. I don’t RP or anything like that.

Does that count?

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Aki

(Anne Cloud)
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Ages Ago.
From what I can tell, the SL community on Instagram is far, far smaller than on Flickr or FB.

It's not really all that surprising to me, though, considering you have to go out of your way to post from SL to Instagram. It's not an intuitive process at all - for me, I usually have to send my photos to my Google Drive, then download them from my phone and post them. Alternatively, i could use Later, which helps plan out posts via PC, then sets a corresponding post up via its app on your phone for easier posting. (Still kinda hokey though)

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I refuse to instagram the same way I refuse to grow a neckbeard, so no...

Adeon Writer

I don't understand the real difference between Instagram and Twitter. I use Twitter. Twitter can include pictures. That's good enough for me.

Never saw what Instagram offers over it so I never bothered. I guess it has more of a focus on posting images, but sounds too artsy fartsy.

Twitter fits right in my need for "Too important not to say, not important enough to make a blog."

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sky00

Aki

(Anne Cloud)
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Ages Ago.
I don't understand the real difference between Instagram and Twitter. I use Twitter. Twitter can include pictures. That's good enough for me.

Never saw what Instagram offers over it so I never bothered. I guess it has more of a focus on posting images, but sounds too artsy fartsy.

Twitter fits right in my need for "Too important not to say, not important enough to make a blog."
Writing as someone who has three - They're like compact galleries of whatever imagery you want to say. Yes, some people use it for nothing but memes, but it's more effective as a way of conveying a series of images and creating communities based around that format. You might argue that the same could be done with Twitter and to a certain degree that is true, however Twitter:
- is far more text based, and consequentially supports a far more wide-ranging threading system (such as it is)
- allows only 4 pics per post
- does not transition between those 4 pics in any cohesive way (you can't include a 10 pic long panoramic shot from your vacation, for example)

Instagram was always built around being very image and video heavy. Yes, there are still people who use it as a means of social/political commentary, but primarily it's more effective as simply a photo/video journal, a creative portfolio, etc. Captions/hashtags & comments can be hidden away and scrolled past entirely, if that's what you want. I find I'm far less likely to stumble down a rabbit-hole of tangential discussions/arguments on Instagram compared to Twitter.

I have one for SL (which i post to less often, due to the reasons I've stated above), one new one for only for documenting my gardening/interest in bonsai, one main account for my creative output (illustration, 3D modelling, photography).

Ysanne

Sure, why not. I did use Facebook for Ysanne when it was still popular.

But don't you have to upload to Instagram from your phone only?

Dragon

Rawr.
A key difference between Flickr and Instagram, however, is that Flickr allows adult/mature photos as long as they are appropriately self-moderated (given ratings by the uploader). Instagram does not allow adult material. This is likely why the community there is much smaller.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

Kavik

Monkeh Foo Master
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 16th, 2006
SLU Posts
I have an Instagram account as Kavik, but I don't post anything to it. All of my pictures end up on Flickr. I never think to post anything to Instagram.