World of Warcraft - Shadowlands Expansion Coming Oct 27th

Sukubia Scarmon

SL Rez
Hrm. I'm massively torn. On one side, I used to play WoW a LOT - until a few months into BfA. I did do progressively more and longer breaks before, tho, so there was definately a trend. But I still miss playing it. I'm contemplating getting Shadowlands, mainly because of the curse - a good addon is followed by a bad one. Didn't enjoy WoD much, I LOVED Legion, it's my favorite addon, GOD do I wish I could play that anew again, and was underwhelmed by BfA - so I think Shadowlands might be good and I may like it, but .. how much with gametime.. 65€? are a steep price to just try and see if I like it. >_<

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I enjoyed WoW most when it felt like I was spending most of my time 'progressing' even if in tiny increments.

Legion was nice, lots of different goals and challenges to work towards, sure they lead to cosmetic rewards (weapon variants/mounts) but they weren't always following the exact same mad-lib fill-in-the-blank quest template.

Then BFA happened, and while the graphics were really a huge step up, everything felt 'boilerplated'. Instead of doing things that left like progress, I was spending 2/3rds (often -more-) of my time pointlessly travelling from place to place so I could do the next 'optimal' thing for my character that day. Clearly the formula was "give them more choice but throttle how much players can do in a day by padding -everything- out with -more- travel time.' Don't get me started on the absolutely stupid horde city layout and the decision to nuke old portals and introduce 'mount equipment'. Ugh.

World of progress bars. I did some raiding & dungeons but they're super repetitive with super low reward chances. Warfronts were amusing for a bit.

I was there at the beginning, but left because I enjoyed City of Heroes so much more. I returned late Cata and, with brief pauses, was active since until I left mid-BFA. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll ever go back. They were great at delivering anticipation... not so great at following up. Unless they take a pretty radical change in design direction, it's not a model that works for me anymore.

Sukubia Scarmon

SL Rez
I agree, heh. The mount-equipment really irritated me, actually, because that felt pretty pointless to me. Like many things.
Talked about that with a friend of mine who still plays, and progress-raids. He just hates all the rng they started to stack, and the many things they introduced to keep people grinding to not fall behind. He's unsure whether he wants to continue or not. I never really was into raiding, except for one time, where I actually met my partner, I'm mainly into leveling alts and roleplay, and farming transmogg, pets and mounts. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with the changes to leveling, I don't enjoy old raidbosses having vastly more HP now (which made some of my characters unable to solo some raids they could before. Yeah, I didn't take that one well. >_>).
But I still miss playing. It still has the charm, and frankly, nothing really compares. Ugh.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I do kinda miss the transmog system, but it was so damned difficult to take decent screenshots with their clumsy jacked up tools.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sukubia Scarmon

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have no real plans to come back to WoW for this but I want to throw in how annoying the acronym for Shadowlands being "SL" is.

• 1LOL
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
i got pulled into Wow with my friend... i skimmed on some dialogue but was able to hit level 50 within a week even with my limited window availability. The game is definitely streamlined allot since my college days... definitely lots of QOL improvements.....will probably start another class or try to unlock the new races..before the expansion comes out.

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Well you can go and do the other expansion instead of doing the new storyline. Not sure if you can go back and forth though. There is an NPC probably in both of the capital cities that you can talk to and do that. A menu comes up and lets you pick.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well you can go and do the other expansion instead of doing the new storyline. Not sure if you can go back and forth though. There is an NPC probably in both of the capital cities that you can talk to and do that. A menu comes up and lets you pick.
She is called chromie and can be found in the capital cities on both sides... allows you to go back and play any previous expansion up to level 50 then kicks you back out... while I have one character prepped for level 50 I'm going through with another character down pandora storyline.

there is also an anniversary gift that gives more exp as well so hardcore players can easily get to level 50 in a day or two... I'm actually reading so it will take me a little longer... if you have a full party doing missions you can fly through it.

there is an in-game event for shadowlands that has people going to ice crown.. There we go from rare boss to rare boss(every 10 minutes) and get Loot gear 100-110 to prepare people for it. I have a boost which I could use on another character to bring them to 50 and could loot gear to get it up to date... tho I really like my mage over the other classes..