World of Warcraft: Battle For Azeroth

Jopsy Pendragon

Moral Compasses get confused at the North Pole.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yeah I'm looking for a new pasttime as well. WoW is all "2-3 minute Flightpath, 2-3 minute run, World Quest, whistle, 2-3 minute flightpath, 2-3 minute run, WQ, flightpath, WQ, flightpath WQ flightpath WQ flightpath WQ flightpath WQ flightpath.

Used to be you took a flightpath to get into an area and you stuck around for a while. Now it's just a throttle to slow people down after every activity.

And, other than re-arranging your inventory or trying to chat with people that don't log in anymore, there's NOTHING to do while you're on flightpaths.

So it's become "World of Tab-out-and-do-something-while-you-wait-craft", on top of all the other problems.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Latest blizzard stupidity is that they're going to make water strider mounts unable to walk on water. Was a big pain to earn those for that ability... And bliz is "replacing" it with "mount equipment". At first it looks cool, you can slot water walking equipment, and all your mounts get the water walking buff. Yay! But it's subpar. Any falling damage breaks the buff, unlike with water striders. Also, 40% of the mounts are too big to jump back on top of the water after you remount while swimming.
What ruined WoW for me for all lifetime was the stunt they pulled back then when they changed the requirements for flying during WoD. This was and is unacceptable, especially the way how they did it, namely first not making any announcement at all, and later only due to much pressure introducing this lore master achievement which you need to get it .

This was a slap in the face of all people, who bought flying mounts in the cash shop, and still is. The way it worked before, like MOP, was okay, all what came after not.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
What ruined WoW for me for all lifetime was the stunt they pulled back then when they changed the requirements for flying during WoD. This was and is unacceptable, especially the way how they did it, namely first not making any announcement at all, and later only due to much pressure introducing this lore master achievement which you need to get it .

This was a slap in the face of all people, who bought flying mounts in the cash shop, and still is. The way it worked before, like MOP, was okay, all what came after not.
Yes. I’m still mad about that. They seemed to think no one uses flying for anything but transportation. I used Druid flight form constantly during questing and have no problem playing in 3D, air or water.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ashiri

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Yes. I’m still mad about that. They seemed to think no one uses flying for anything but transportation. I used Druid flight form constantly during questing and have no problem playing in 3D, air or water.
From what I've read, the lead designer really only raids. Not sure if the rest of the team are like that, but there does seem a stench of bad nostalgia affecting decisions.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

From what I've read, the lead designer really only raids. Not sure if the rest of the team are like that, but there does seem a stench of bad nostalgia affecting decisions.
Well Ion Hazzikostas is the lead designer for raids, yes.

What most people don't understand is that while Hazzikostas became the public face for WoW people know like Greg "Ghostcrawler" Streeter was, beforethat he's in reality only the speaker for a team. So how flying was being treated was not Hazzikostas decision alone, but that of the whole WoW design team at least.

And what ruined it for me is not so much that it was done, but first

1. no flying whatsoever for months,
2. no clear statement about it whatsoever,
3. only after much pressure by the gamers finally the achievement was being introduced.

If they would have told from the beginning the the expansion would handle flying differently and how, then maybe I would be still playing it from time to time. But so I don't even give me the good old Goldshire fun any more.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's barely even "A World" anymore.

It's become nothing more than a decorative "Lobby" for players to hang out in, while they're queuing for pvp and looking for mythic+ teams.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
It's barely even "A World" anymore.

It's become nothing more than a decorative "Lobby" for players to hang out in, while they're queuing for pvp and looking for mythic+ teams.
I wonder how many are left that are world quest soloists like me (I was even doing Ironman alts for a while). There must be some, solo questing is easier to squeeze into a busy adult schedule than queuing. And it’s not “easy” in quest greens. If the devs don’t do much of this kind of play it would mean they don’t know what this kind of player wants.

I’m still doing Legion content and it’s okay but I haven’t moved over to BfA yet.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I found BfA such a disappointment after Legion. They may put BfA on sale later.
I probably should just wait. I’m still working toward Pathfinder and then I have some alts I’d like to see the class halls for.

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Been subscribed for years. I finally pulled the plug.

Used every single character of their feedback form, and there was a lot that didn't make it in:

I'm very angry with BFA. Most Tortollan WQ's are painfully bad. The water strider nerf REALLY pisses me off. The PORTAL changes are illogical and very inconvenient. Raiding is totally unrewarding, islands dull. And worst: I spend HALF my time on flightpaths. I HATE being passive. The Horde city in BFA is a total time wasting joke. I love the art, the LOA stories and music, but that's not enough. I'll re-sub when you stop WASTING MY TIME WITH ALL THESE EXCESSIVE TRAVEL NUISANCES.
... of course, I'm paid up through mid September. I'll be able to check out 8.2, not that I expect that to do anything but piss me off more. But I'll give it as fair a shake as I can.

Elder Scrolls Online is fun-ish, but not really drawing me in yet.

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yay, as if I didn't need further encouragement....

Wowhead has recently posted Absorbs No Longer Prevent Being Dazed on 8.2 Rise of Azshara PTR

which I already encountered. As a warlock I have a talent that gives me a shield... which used to protect me from daze/dismount while it lasted. There's other gear that used to, but no longer provides a similar shield/buffer benefit. The only defense is to give up water walking entirely or be in tank spec (if that's available to your class).

But now, hey, that mosquito that just bit your ankle? Guess what... DAZED!! DISMOUNTED! That bird that just dropped an acorn on your head? DAZED!! DISMOUNTED! Can't find what hit you? TOO BAD! You can't re-mount until you cross half the zone to get out of combat with it.

I can't express how UN FUN this new aspect is on the 8.2 PTR.

So, to anyone thinking of going back to Warcraft? Do not bother.

Seriously.... F**K blizzard right in their design review process with a full sized rusty saguaro cactus.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
So, to anyone thinking of going back to Warcraft? Do not bother.
WOW is currently on my storage hdd. It seems it will be staying there for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure I'll even bother when (if?) the updated Worgen and Goblin models come out.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Maybe if wow would ditch their subscription model it would draw people. Yes, I know you can get a free account but it is so limited it is why bother. I am not about to farm gold to pay for a sub either when there are other games out there for free. WOW having graphics that look like cartoons from 15+ years ago does not help either.

Bartholomew Gallacher

I don't think so; the biggest showstopper for today's gamers is the time investment you need to make into WoW to make some progress. Only to get it obsoleted by the next raid anyway.

This won't change, so it's not for everybody.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ashiri

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Been subscribed for years. I finally pulled the plug.

Used every single character of their feedback form, and there was a lot that didn't make it in:

... of course, I'm paid up through mid September. I'll be able to check out 8.2, not that I expect that to do anything but piss me off more. But I'll give it as fair a shake as I can.

Elder Scrolls Online is fun-ish, but not really drawing me in yet.
Depending on what you like give guild wars 2 a shot. Open world MMORPG, PVP, WVW, and raids. It went FTP for the base game a couple years ago but if you like it I would recommend springing for the expansions eventually as they unlock some stuff (like gliding and mounts). There is also a SLU guild, even though it is pretty inactive.

I installed ESO on my machine as a secondary game and in less than a day was back to GW2.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I don't think so; the biggest showstopper for today's gamers is the time investment you need to make into WoW to make some progress. Only to get it obsoleted by the next raid anyway.

This won't change, so it's not for everybody.
Yes, I do not like the trend of solely catering to hard core gamers. Even in GW2 there is that for some content but I pick and choose what to focus on. Getting a flying mount (the current top thing in GW2) would be nice but am not about to put my health at risk to do so.

• 1Like

Bartholomew Gallacher

Well WoW was always a very casual gaming experience, and in its core is still today, just look at the class mechanics during Vanilla/TBC and today. Unless of course you want to do Mythic mode raids...

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
give guild wars 2 a shot.
I liked GW(1), still have a lot of the music on my ipod actually. Tried GW2 but... there were a few things about it that made me cool off towards it pretty quickly. The "Abilities tied to weapons" thing felt really awkward to me. The NPC dialog pop-up window felt like bad filler/boilerplate and it was quickly obvious that none of the information presented was necessary for objectives.

I -DID- love the fact that if I killed some local big-bad, I could then get credit for it at whoever would have sent me out to kill it... without having to pick up the quest first. That was sweet. But I didn't stick with GW2 for long.

I've been tempted to go back to Rift again, there were things that I loved about that game and I got quite far in it some years back. But, like ESO, the playable characters are kinda meh looking.

On the other hand Aion had awesome looking character models/face/armor/weapons... but the UI felt seriously clunky.

SIGH.

Maybe I'm just finally getting too old for these games. =(

• 1Hug

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Blizzard finally followed up with:

This change was not intended. We’re investigating the issue and plan to fix it in the Rise of Azshara PTR as soon as possible.
Sure, whatever. Won't argue whether you ORIGINALLY intended or recently changed your intentions... just kill it with fire and quit breaking things that aren't broken.

And fire whomever was responsible for that getting to the PTR, they're not helping.

• 1Agree