World Cup

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

I'm going to try and watch at least a few games. US fell into group B with England, Iran. And the Euro-Playoff, which sounds like a rock band contest... KIDDING.

Any matchups you're looking forward to?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Isabeau

Merdeuse
We were the last ones drawn out of the pot. It’s only the second time for Canada (since 1986). We’ll be the underdogs in the F group. Well, let’s be honest, would probably be the underdog in any group ha.

I’m conflicted. I have a hard time watching professional sports now, it’s like rooting for a corporation (hockey). When it comes to world competitions like the olympics or FIFA, there’s so much I dislike about who gets to host, and how they are organized/who really benefits, etc.

Anyway, same… I’ll probably watch too, lol.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm still waiting for the U.S. to win so everyone can forget about Ukraine and declare war on us :D

Yes, I know we won in 1930 but I couldn't work that into the joke ...

• 1Doge
Reactions: Free

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I’m conflicted. I have a hard time watching professional sports now, it’s like rooting for a corporation (hockey). When it comes to world competitions like the olympics or FIFA, there’s so much I dislike about who gets to host, and how they are organized/who really benefits, etc.
Yeah, the politics and money shit (FU FIFA!) can certainly make it hard to even think about spending even a minute of my time on this. Still,

GO TEAM USA!

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This is one of those sports things yes? Where they chase a ball? Well, where people are paid huge sums of money to chase a ball, yes?

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
/me huffs and mumbles something about the forum this thread is posted in...

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More reasons to boycott.

• 1Angry
  • 1WTF??
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Govi

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Exciting...

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Sid

A Dutch cookie.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
This is one of those sports things yes? Where they chase a ball? Well, where people are paid huge sums of money to chase a ball, yes?
In the US we call it "kick ball."

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
In the US we call it "kick ball."
Unless what is going on during the World Cup is different than I'd expect FIFA to be involved in, kick ball is a different sport.
The game is typically played on a softball diamond with an 8.5 inch to 16 inch diameter inflated rubber ball. As in baseball/softball, the game uses 3 bases, a pitcher's mound, and a home plate. Sometimes, in less formal games, the field is not bounded by a fence as in softball or baseball, but is open. This may result in informal rule changes to accommodate the field, such as home runs being counted by number of bounces instead of by distance. Also it can be played on a rectangular blacktop area with chalk or paint outlines.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
FWIW, Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1 in their Group C match, according to the news, and I really really hate it because it's hard to describe just how amazing an upset that is and what a fantastic game that must have been to watch happen; but I couldn't watch it, because I'm not watching this Cup at all, because Qatar and FIFA are dickholes, and this really bites because the Olympics and the World Cup are now two major events back to back that I ordinarily really enjoy watching and I haven't been able to watch either of the most recent versions of these events because of the political misanthropy of the host nations.

In other news, I've read that the Iranian team refused to sing their national anthem when it played, out of solidarity with the massive general protests going on there.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau