We've been waiting SO LONG.

• 1Like
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Wonder Woman 1984 Review - IGN

Among a library of uneven peers, director Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman is one of the more critically successful of the new era of DC superhero movies. But for its many triumphs, the Amazonian Princess’ first film is burdened with an overly effects-driven final act that tarnishes its success. It’s the kind of movie that makes you wish for a sequel that builds upon its strengths and avoids repeating past mistakes – and Wonder Woman 1984 fulfills those exact desires.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Whoever wrote the above review must be high. Wow, what a godawful movie. I thought the negative comments I saw from people were exaggerations, but my god, it is terrible. I wish I could get that time back.

On the other hand, I was delighted to find that HBO Max has the entire original Wonder Woman TV series from the 1970s. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and it at least makes up for the trainwreck that is Wonder Woman 1984.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Cristalle and Caete

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well Cristiano, the great schism between professional movie reviewers and the normal audience isn't exactly such a new thing any more. I mean, you just have to remind yourself about "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", which got tons of praise from critics and tons of dislikes from the audience.

It's just another pearl added to the chain. One of the main problems is that today's film reviewers and producers are obsessed with their gender agenda, and all that fits that messages gets tons of praise because of its diversity, empowerment and stuff.

Too bad though that this alone does not make a movie good or even outstanding; it needs more to cater an audience, but that seems to become more and more a lost art to screen writers.

The obvious solution would be just to diversify your cast, but not to brag about it too much, and to write a solid enough story.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well Cristiano, the great schism between professional movie reviewers and the normal audience isn't exactly such a new thing any more. I mean, you just have to remind yourself about "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", which got tons of praise from critics and tons of dislikes from the audience.

It's just another pearl added to the chain. One of the main problems is that today's film reviewers and producers are obsessed with their gender agenda, and all that fits that messages gets tons of praise because of its diversity, empowerment and stuff.
Presently, Wonder Woman 1984 is higher for the audience score (73%) than for "professional reviewers" (65%) on Rotten Tomatoes. Plucking a single anecdotal review out of the noise hardly denotes evidence.

Unless it's a bit better as a film than Cris considers it, and reviewers now hate it because it lacks an obvious feminist through-line. Or just out of spite?

• 1Like
Reactions: Lexxi

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
I watched it. It had a few high points but mostly was utter crap when compared to the first one. There's so much web swinging I mean lasso swinging action that I thought I may be watching a crossdressing Spider-man movie instead. There's a reason the cat fight was at night, it would have looked way worse if you could have seen the cgi clearly. Seriously, I've seen more real looking catgirls in CATS...

So many issues. We have WW taking the word of a stranger that he is Steve which rates right alongside the "you're mom is named Martha" line. Sure we see him as Chris Pine for most of the movie, just as WW does but I'm pretty sure the rest of the world would see him as the original actor who may have had a gf/wife etc but hey, ruin this guy's lif/job because we need Steve back because chemistry.

The lame "I just know how to fly" routine. While a WWI biplane is a plane just like a modern jet is, ie basic flying principles apply, the cockpit is way different. Yet we have Steve, who earlier admitted to being unable to figure out how to start a modern motorcycle, instantly knows how to start a jet which is way more complicated. I'm pretty sure the Smithsonian does not keep jets stored fully fueled and with batteries still in them. Also why do they need to walk through a secure area with badge access to just go out the back door to the runway with the jets? They could have just walked around the building.

Air travel, while fast, still takes time. From Washington to Egypt is about 6000 miles, roughly 12 hours flight time. Most two engine fighter jets without external tanks have a range of around 1000 miles without refueling. I'm sure no one even thought to alert anyone else about a missing/stolen top secret military jet that can fly over 6000 miles on internal tanks...

She makes it invisible by Amazonian hocus pocus with a bad joke that seemed like an attempt at Ant-Man's quip about "I did it once before, then passed out" humour. They then fly through a MASSIVE 4th of July fireworks display which would be dangerous as the force of the explosions could damage the plane but woooo so pretty overrides common sense or some such...

Wiig is a half way decent comedic actress but is wasted here by trying to be a villain. The remove glasses, tossed hair ugly duckling to swan is a tired idea and she's about as evil as Pfeiffer's Catwoman was. Seriously, I was waiting for her to say some lame line like "I am Cheetah, hear me roar".

Why do we have WW making public appearances like that sadly written mall fight and the just as bad military vehicle chase that both end up with kids being saved (or obvious dummies) in stupid ways only for her to wink and tell the kids "its a secret" and no on says another word? Heck the mall kid seems to know who she is yet no one else dos. We have lazy media not even making up a name for her.

WW learns to fly by using her lasso the air trick then remembering Steve's words and POW instant flight. So happy that she gained this power by being empowered by a man.

Maxwell Lord was nicely portrayed even if the character was written way off character from the comics. I'm pretty sure his son was just added as a way to make him seem more relatable/give them a mcguffin to help with the ending.

Wishes are handled inconsistently. Barbara sems to get two despite the fact it is repeatedly said and shown that everyone gets one.
If I had seen this in the theater, I would have asked for my money back.

At least the second season of doom patrol was solid.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Wow, this was a huge letdown.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The user score on Metacritic is much closer to what I expected, currently at 4.4

I won't say the movie had no redeeming value - I actually thought the end was kind of beautiful in some ways, but the whole thing was a let down.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Caete and Cristalle

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Wishes are handled inconsistently. Barbara sems to get two despite the fact it is repeatedly said and shown that everyone gets one.
Right or wrong, probably wrong, I saw the two wishes thing as two wish fulfilling things. The original thing, then Max became 'that thing' which . . . reset Barbara's wish count? Without taking away her prior wish? Something like that.

During the movie, that's what I used to wave my hands and go 'eh, whatever, let's continue'. I had a lot more problem with the jet having fuel, and range to get to Egypt. And back again. Also the part wherein the jet's invisible, but the people in it always made me annoyed when I saw this film, or other things (I also saw that Wonder Woman 1975 (pilot was in 1975, so I keep calling it 1975, though it is set in something like 1943)tv series was on and started watching it - she flies in an invisible plane at least twice in the first two episodes - and it kinda looks stupid with her in an invisible jet . . . very much visible sitting in it).

Also had thought about: dude, you were a pilot in WWI, you can fly jets? and 'you know nothing about current air-space rules. Shouldn't you be worried about hitting other planes? Since they have no clue you are also flying around? etc. etc.

There was also the 'your wish, Wonder Woman, brought Steve back but took your power. Oh, you are leaping around and using your power? Um, okay, it just weakens you, and makes you tired, and less than bullet-proof . . .' bah. It takes the power or doesn't.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Caete

Jopsy Pendragon

Democracy was a nice experiment while it lasted.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So many issues. We have WW taking the word of a stranger that he is Steve which rates right alongside the "you're mom is named Martha" line. Sure we see him as Chris Pine for most of the movie, just as WW does but I'm pretty sure the rest of the world would see him as the original actor who may have had a gf/wife etc but hey, ruin this guy's lif/job because we need Steve back because chemistry.
Just addressing your first point...
There were at least 3 indicator that the guy Steve inhabits is coded as Autosexual or single&gay.
"Gee, this guy has a lot of photos of himself up on the walls".
His preference for the rather 'straight off a male model in a catalog' outfit, that steve rejected
and, unlike practically every other man in the movie, doesn't seem even remotely tempted to make a pass at her, just curious about her seeming familar.

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
My biggest problem with the movie was it's length. They could have cut out about 20 to 30 minutes. It dragged in the middle to me.

I wonder if the mid-credits scene was something dealing with a future movie or just WW fan service? It did sort of fit in the movie though.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
It wasn't great. But, I've seen worse and this year I'll take almost any new movie I can get.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I enjoyed it, but when watching comics-based films I turn off my critical thinking skills.

Like the Smithsonian wouldn't leave a fully fueled jet sitting around on display, and that particular jet doesn't have the range to get to Egypt.