Windows & Edge, they suck, right?

2tee2

When scores were based solely on safety features and code hygiene, Windows was in the lead, with Linux trailing. Linux did so much better in terms of code complexity, however, that even though that's just 20% of the overall score, the total scores are now fairly close.
poor, poor High Sierra

note it's teh effin Mudge… to quote the vid below "Microsoft know what they are doing"

Edge's lead is even more comfortable, Safety Features

70 Chrome

100 Edge

74 Firefox

88 Opera

2tee2

This post needs a tl:dr summary because I have no idea what point you're trying to make. Can anyone with more patience than I have, provide a translation?
those are two distinct links

comparisonType=OS:

comparisonType=browser&operatingSystem=Windows:

PS

Peiter Zatko (aka Mudge)
Chair of the Board

Peiter Zatko, known professionally as Mudge, is a respected network security expert who has been prominent in the security field for over 20 years. He published some of the first security advisories and research demonstrating early vulnerabilities in computer systems and was an early advocate for educating the public about computer security and safety.

In 2010 he took an appointed position as a Department of Defense official within the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), where he was responsible for redirecting the DoD’s cyber research efforts. After his tenure at DARPA he was corporate VP of engineering at Motorola, and then the Deputy Director of Google’s Advanced Technology and Projects group, before stepping down to be the Director of The Cyber ITL. He currently works for Stripe and chairs the board at Cyber ITL. Follow Peiter on Twitter @dotmudge.

• 1lolwut?
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Govi and Beebo Brink

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Windows flame wars are so... so... Usenet from way back in 19something.

Windows has won the battle long time ago. The masses embraced that software.
No discussion or argument will change that any time soon.

And who is Edge?
I think I missed that completely.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Shrug. I have both Windows and Linux dual installed on my main computer. I like Edge. I actually am not all that happy that they are changing it to be Chromium based. It wasn't overly slow for me, or really that different than the others. I did run into issues like it not playing video on certain sites like Steam, which was frustrating, but not insurmountable as I could just open a different one. I like where Firefox is going with their built in privacy protections and when Google decides that they want to force me to watch their endless ads on YouTube, that is where I will go (Edge will be Chromium based so no luck there), but by no means do I hate Edge or Chrome.

They are tools.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Unfortunately part of the reason that Edge had to be renovated was because it was intentionally sabotaged by Google. Google added code to some of its websites, like YouTube, which served no actual function except to break the particular method Edge used to call hardware acceleration for playing videos. Of course Google insists it wasn't intentional, but it's not even an isolated case - earlier last year, Google did some more code dickery to YouTube and other websites that relied on an outdated API which all other browsers - except, conveniently, Chrome - had moved on from, meaning ALL modern, non-Chrome browsers were loading select Google sites slower. The hilarious part is, this created a situation where the deprecated Internet Explorer 11 loaded YouTube just fine, and faster that Edge - not because IE11 had the outdated version of the API, but because Google's servers happened to push a version of the YouTube page specifically to IE11 that didn't use the problem API at all.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Windows flame wars are so... so... Usenet from way back in 19something.

Windows has won the battle long time ago. The masses embraced that software.
No discussion or argument will change that any time soon.

And who is Edge?
I think I missed that completely.
Edge is Microsoft's new W10-native web browser. It was originally built entirely in-house and worked great; it lacked the comprehensive host of power-features that older and established desktop browsers like Firefox have; but it was streamlined, fast, used extensions and had enough features to satisfy most users' browsing needs, especially for form factors like tablets/2-in-1s, and phones when Microsoft was still doing those. But at the end of last year Microsoft revealed that this year they'd be rebuilding Edge on Chromium. I'm using the dev version of this right now, and it seems mostly okay although like any dev version of anything there's bugs. With the last update for instance, embedded videos on Twitter don't play correctly.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Unfortunately part of the reason that Edge had to be renovated was because it was intentionally sabotaged by Google.
Or in other terms Google did to Microsoft, what in the late 90s Microsoft did to Netscape. So this is really something where I got no sympathies for Microsoft getting a dose of their own medicine.

However when looking at the freedom of the web this looks different: Google has thanks to Chome and Blink, their Webkit fork, plus Webkit being the standard engine on Android a really big market share, actually a way too big market share which Google is nowadays abusing to force all kind of standards they'd like to see, but against the interests of their users.

The only alternative rendering engine around is the one in Firefox, and Mozilla has been on a mission since two or three years to really annoy the hell out of their users whereever they can. Their latest brillant idea was to provide premium services, like a VPN in Firefox soon enough.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Unfortunately part of the reason that Edge had to be renovated was because it was intentionally sabotaged by Google. Google added code to some of its websites, like YouTube, which served no actual function except to break the particular method Edge used to call hardware acceleration for playing videos. Of course Google insists it wasn't intentional, but it's not even an isolated case - earlier last year, Google did some more code dickery to YouTube and other websites that relied on an outdated API which all other browsers - except, conveniently, Chrome - had moved on from, meaning ALL modern, non-Chrome browsers were loading select Google sites slower. The hilarious part is, this created a situation where the deprecated Internet Explorer 11 loaded YouTube just fine, and faster that Edge - not because IE11 had the outdated version of the API, but because Google's servers happened to push a version of the YouTube page specifically to IE11 that didn't use the problem API at all.
Yep. Google has been committing some seriously shady acts. People still remember that Microsoft did similar things back in the day with IE, wiping out
Or in other terms Google did to Microsoft, what in the late 90s Microsoft did to Netscape. So this is really something where I got no sympathies for Microsoft getting a dose of their own medicine.

However when looking at the freedom of the web this looks different: Google has thanks to Chome and Blink, their Webkit fork, plus Webkit being the standard engine on Android a really big market share, actually a way too big market share which Google is nowadays abusing to force all kind of standards they'd like to see, but against the interests of their users.

The only alternative rendering engine around is the one in Firefox, and Mozilla has been on a mission since two or three years to really annoy the hell out of their users whereever they can. Their latest brillant idea was to provide premium services, like a VPN in Firefox soon enough.
Yes, they have added those premium services which might just look like a little open source project needing to make some money in order to continue, but can, over time, become abusive, much in the same way we now see Google acting. I give them credit, for now, in not, in any way, forcing people to partake in the premium services. They are adding in protections in their browser that are FAR more conscious of users that do not require any extra services.

Meanwhile, Google is set to make obsolete adblockers, or rather make them ineffective. When that takes effect, there will be no more usage of Chrome by me. Without it, YouTube alone is a nightmare.

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I use Firefox since a long time. They never annoyed the hell out of me to be honest.
It browses fast and I can't remember a site that did not work properly in ages (knocks on wood).

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Meanwhile, Google is set to make obsolete adblockers, or rather make them ineffective. When that takes effect, there will be no more usage of Chrome by me. Without it, YouTube alone is a nightmare.
Most interstingly the enterprise versions of Chrome, for which you've got to pay for, still will offer access to the APIs needed by uBlock&Co.

As far what Firefox did to annoy people, in my opinion:

1. the killing of the old sync server mechanism; before version 1.5 setting up your own server was quite simple, now you either need a Firefox account, or do some medium admin voodoo to run your own, because the settings are quite hidden now.
2. The "recommended articles" by Pocket on an empty page showing up; I did Mozilla not ask for that, it just enabled itself after an update.
3. The badge in the footer since a few weeks which nags you to read something, or create an account - or both.
4. Trying way too much to be like Chrome - why should I then still use Firefox when I can just use the original for free (John Doe user so to speak).

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I use Firefox since a long time. They never annoyed the hell out of me to be honest.
It browses fast and I can't remember a site that did not work properly in ages (knocks on wood).
I visit a few sites where Firefox doesn't work right, but that may be the combination of script/ad blockers I use. If I really want to use the site, I switch to Chrome temporarily. On the whole, Firefox does what I want. For example, I never see YouTube ads.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
4. Trying way too much to be like Chrome - why should I then still use Firefox when I can just use the original for free (John Doe user so to speak).
Because Chrome is from Google?