Windows 10 Username Problem

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Well, I just ran into a real head-scratcher of a problem. I booted into my Windows 10 install and updated it to 2004. I decided to stick around a while, so I installed the Spotify app from the Windows store. I didn't know my Spotify password off the top of my head, since I created it using Chrome's strong password suggestion. So I went into Chrome's password manager, found where my Spotify account is, and clicked the little eye icon to reveal my password. Chrome asked me to enter my Windows username and password, so I did and - "Username or password are incorrect".

WTF?

I logged out of Windows and logged back in with no problems, so I obviously haven't forgotten my password. So it's down to username. Admittedly, I'm the only user on this computer, so I never have to enter my username when I log on. Also, I sign on with my Microsoft account, which is my gmail address and Windows password. I tried a few tricks to get Windows to reveal what it sees as my username, thinking it could be my email address, or just plain khelendale. The results were inconclusive, it could have been either. I tried both in Chrome to reveal the Spotify password Chrome had stored, but neither worked. Just for shits and giggles, I went to microsoft.com and signed on, using my full email address and Windows password, and got in no problem.

So, what exactly IS my Windows username when logging on with a Microsoft account? Is it my full email address? Or is it whatever's to the left of the @ sign? Or is Chrome just borked?

Side note: In Chrome's password manager, I clicked at the top where it says "View and manage saved passwords in your Google Account", and a new tab opened. I looked up my Spotify password in there, and it asked for my Google account credentials. I entered that in, it worked, and I got my Spotify password to paste into my Spotify app. So I got it working, but, man, what a headache! In hindsight, I could have just gone to Keeper's website and looked up my password there, since I have it stored in Keeper as well. I just figured getting it right out of Chrome would have been easier. Boy was I wrong!

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Well, I just ran into a real head-scratcher of a problem. I booted into my Windows 10 install and updated it to 2004. I decided to stick around a while, so I installed the Spotify app from the Windows store. I didn't know my Spotify password off the top of my head, since I created it using Chrome's strong password suggestion. So I went into Chrome's password manager, found where my Spotify account is, and clicked the little eye icon to reveal my password. Chrome asked me to enter my Windows username and password, so I did and - "Username or password are incorrect".

WTF?

I logged out of Windows and logged back in with no problems, so I obviously haven't forgotten my password. So it's down to username. Admittedly, I'm the only user on this computer, so I never have to enter my username when I log on. Also, I sign on with my Microsoft account, which is my gmail address and Windows password. I tried a few tricks to get Windows to reveal what it sees as my username, thinking it could be my email address, or just plain khelendale. The results were inconclusive, it could have been either. I tried both in Chrome to reveal the Spotify password Chrome had stored, but neither worked. Just for shits and giggles, I went to microsoft.com and signed on, using my full email address and Windows password, and got in no problem.

So, what exactly IS my Windows username when logging on with a Microsoft account? Is it my full email address? Or is it whatever's to the left of the @ sign? Or is Chrome just borked?

Side note: In Chrome's password manager, I clicked at the top where it says "View and manage saved passwords in your Google Account", and a new tab opened. I looked up my Spotify password in there, and it asked for my Google account credentials. I entered that in, it worked, and I got my Spotify password to paste into my Spotify app. So I got it working, but, man, what a headache! In hindsight, I could have just gone to Keeper's website and looked up my password there, since I have it stored in Keeper as well. I just figured getting it right out of Chrome would have been easier. Boy was I wrong!
Do you use the code, rather than password, at all to log into windows? If so, that is what they are looking for when that popup comes in on Chrome, not your normal Microsoft password. It's odd that it is asking for username. When I've done that, it only asks for the password/code.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Do you use the code, rather than password, at all to log into windows? If so, that is what they are looking for when that popup comes in on Chrome, not your normal Microsoft password. It's odd that it is asking for username. When I've done that, it only asks for the password/code.
I haven't set up a PIN or anything like that on Windows. Just login username and password. I know Chrome has always, at least for the last few years, required my Windows credentials any time I want to view a stored password, at least on Windows. On Linux, it just displays it no questions asked.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I haven't set up a PIN or anything like that on Windows. Just login username and password. I know Chrome has always, at least for the last few years, required my Windows credentials any time I want to view a stored password, at least on Windows. On Linux, it just displays it no questions asked.
Gotcha. Well, in that case, it should be your regular Microsoft password. Username would be the full email addy. And yes, I've seen that in Linux. Not a big fan of that, though you could lock Chrome itself behind a password.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So, I just tried it again, and it still didn't like my credentials. But I noticed at the bottom of the credentials window, there was a "More choices" option. So I clicked that, and it popped up a new window with my full name and email address displayed, just as they're set in my Microsoft account, and only asked for my Windows password, which it took. :confused: