Will we have normal presidential debates this cycle?

Do you believe that President Trump will participate in any debates?

• Total voters

Eunoli

I've seen people mention from time to time how this or that candidate will stand up to Trump in a debate. But, will we even have any debates this time? I somehow find it hard to believe that Trump will participate, considering how little he has to gain from them and how he has no interest in upholding the normal standards of US elections.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Trump's base believes he won the debates last time. I can see him agreeing to debate for the soundbites. I can also see him back out after the first debate if it does not go well for him.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Trump's base believes he won the debates last time. I can see him agreeing to debate for the soundbites. I can also see him back out after the first debate if it does not go well for him.
I think his mental condition is so much worse now that his handlers will find some way to keep him off the stage. They don't dare risk him having a meltdown on live TV. If the general public becomes aware of just how unstable he is now, compared to a few years ago, there will be reckoning of some kind.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Hasn't he had many meltdowns in front of the press and with absolutely no polling effect on his base support? His base are so resentful of "elites" that they don't care what Trump does, so long as the "elites" are outraged by his words and deeds.

Eunoli

Hasn't he had many meltdowns in front of the press and with absolutely no polling effect on his base support? His base are so resentful of "elites" that they don't care what Trump does, so long as the "elites" are outraged by his words and deeds.
Yes, but it matters more in the election cycle. There's a lot of people in swing states who voted Trump last time for economic reasons (false as they may have been) who don't even know that he lied and didn't fulfill his promises. A debate in prime time turns into an opportunity where people who normally don't watch this stuff - do watch. Its a giant opportunity for him to lose votes in swing states.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I think Trump will appear in the debates; all of them, even. He can't resist press exposure and the opportunity to make it all about him.
Then use Twitter to claim all the the sound bites of him making an ass of himself are "fake news."

Eunoli

If he backs out or declines an invitation to a debate, his opponent can claim he's afraid and drive him crazy.
That's never really worked - see tax returns. Yes, his opponent can, but it does less damage to him than putting him in the limelight defending his lies and broken promises would.

• 1Agree

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The poll presupposes he will deign to debate anyone. It will not make a difference to the people that like him whether he shows up or not.

• 1Agree

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
X Other

If he’s no longer capable of even a limited live debate, I can see something contrived happening: say an interview format where the two candidates are in different cities on a slight time delay, and if Trump says something completely senile, it just goes to a commercial break.

Anya Ristow

bad influence
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts

Aeon Jiminy

I've seen people mention from time to time how this or that candidate will stand up to Trump in a debate. But, will we even have any debates this time? I somehow find it hard to believe that Trump will participate, considering how little he has to gain from them and how he has no interest in upholding the normal standards of US elections.
Trump is a bully and a bully must come to a fight or he will be laughed off of the playground. The media is going to demand a show. The only scenario I could imagine no debates is if Bernie Sanders was the Democratic nominee. That debate would expose how empty both Trump and the media really are.

Sid

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I wonder what would happen if the Dem candidate refuses to debate with 45?
That could generate more airtime in news shows and extra invitations to all the late, later, latest and tonight shows.
And maybe an exploding head of 45 as bonus.

Aeon Jiminy

That could generate more airtime in news shows and extra invitations to all the late, later, latest and tonight shows.
I actually think Trump would love this to happen. It would probably be used to portray the Democrats as fearful of Trump's "magical powers" or elitists who can't be bothered to confront the basket of deplorables. Likely fuel for his base and uninspiring to the absolutely crucial Independents. It might be like putting them in the middle of an ugly divorce.

Eunoli

I wouldn't want to see this because it undermines our Democracy and traditional values. This is the kind of thing we're trying to get rid of Trump because of.

• 1Thanks

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It isn't so that the founding fathers ordered tv debates, is it?
Kennedy - Nixon was the first one if I recall correctly. So most presidents have been chosen without having them.

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I actually think Trump would love this to happen. It would probably be used to portray the Democrats as fearful of Trump's "magical powers" or elitists who can't be bothered to confront the basket of deplorables. Likely fuel for his base and uninspiring to the absolutely crucial Independents. It might be like putting them in the middle of an ugly divorce.
I don't think that the 2020 elections are about trying to convince the Trumpeteers not to vote for 45 again. That will not happen. With or without tv debates. The Trumpeteers are not interested in what 45 has to say. They want to piss off establishment.
The Dem candidate and all the other Dems in the nation have to concentrate to persuade all the others to lift their asses from their sofas in front of their tv's and actually go out and cast their votes even if it is the first and only time in their lives.

Eunoli

I don't think that the 2020 elections are about trying to convince the Trumpeteers not to vote for 45 again. That will not happen. With or without tv debates. The Trumpeteers are not interested in what 45 has to say. They want to piss off establishment.
The Dem candidate and all the other Dems in the nation have to concentrate to persuade all the others to lift their asses from their sofas in front of their tv's and actually go out and cast their votes even if it is the first and only time in their lives.
Not really. His "base" are his base. But, there are a lot of Trump voters who voted for economic-only reasons, especially in swing states. Those voters are key to any win.

• 1Interesting
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Brenda Archer