Why you should never sneeze!

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ar least, that's how I'm taking this article. Until I read further into it. Basically, having a nose sucks.

If you were to envision the kind of accident that would cause a person’s bowels to explode out of their body, you might imagine some sort of gruesome stabbing or grisly car accident. You’d probably never imagine that something as commonplace and harmless as a sneeze would cause this kind of ghastly injury—but that’s exactly what happened to a Florida man earlier this month.
Sneezing is normally a protective mechanism that keeps potentially harmful things—such as dust, bacteria and viruses – out of our respiratory system. The process is controlled by the so-called “sneezing center” in the brain’s medulla (which governs autonomic functions, including breathing). It’s activated by the presence of irritants in the lining of the nose and airways, which send impulses to the center.
But despite the benefits of a good sneeze, it can sometimes come with a greater risk of injury than many might realize.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Sneezing is not optional here in the pollen and dust center of the world.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I suppress sneezes, I have since I was little. The sneeze still happens, but I'm able to "close" my larynx (don't ask me to explain it or how I learned how to do it) so that only a little "whiff" of the blast makes it through.

The article says you shouldn't do that, but it's probably talking about adults who are used to sneezing full-force most of the time. I've been suppressing every single sneeze like this since I was little - seriously, every single one, no exceptions - so I surmise the involved parts of my body more or less developed to withstand the force.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I suppress sneezes, I have since I was little. The sneeze still happens, but I'm able to "close" my larynx (don't ask me to explain it or how I learned how to do it) so that only a little "whiff" of the blast makes it through.

I sure couldn't do that. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year I'll have a sneezing fit with maybe 20 sneezes in a row a few seconds apart.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Now if sneezing or not only would be the major problem of this world..
Life would be good.