Why people support Trump

Romana

SL Rez
I found out the other day that an otherwise nice couple didn't the hall support 45. They buy into all that crap about the Democrats being worse because "free stuff" and "money for refugees". I think it's a safe bet they watch Fox. The husband also said that he'd met 45 and "her treats you like a human being". So I'm guessing they don't know from social media either.
I didn't try to explain. My dog likes them.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Jopsy Pendragon

Nature: You break it? You 'buy it'.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Trumpers support him because he's a jack-ass to people he doesn't like, and they envy his ability to do so without repercussions.

It's even better when he makes shit up or says things that are factually horribly wrong because that makes them envy him even that much more... because, again, he gets away with it.

and he's a congenially facetious suck-up, so there's always that chance he might 'like you' if you're the right kinda person. Aka: A thug or a sycophant.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
He appeals to the basest of people's emotions, and so he attracts people who can't think beyond that. Plus, there are a lot of right-wingers who think he's "owning the libs", so they worship the dirt he walks on.

Aeon Jiminy

We should know that the Trump presidency wasn't created naturally. It would have died on the vine if the media hadn't artificially propped it up. Trump was a grand manipulation that backfired. He was concocted to be a horror show by those who can't see themselves and understand that they might be a bigger horror show than what they perceive to be someone's worst nightmare.

Trump is a mirror. Look at yourselves. Are you honestly better than this? Are you respectful? Do you call people names? Do you want to understand others or do you simply want to bring them to heel? If you want to understand why people support Trump, ask them. Listen. Think. Don't react.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Anecdotal, but all the Trump voters I’ve met have been either white men (of varying income levels) or adherents of conservative religions.
The other day, I went to my usual hair stylist for my regular cut. The minute I walked in, I knew it was not where I wanted to be - for some reason, for the first time since I'd been going there, they had Fox News on full volume and the patrons were discussing the impeachment. Of course, somone started in on the "Hillary's Emails" red herring and loudmouth Cindy couldn't just sit still and keep her mouth shut, she had to put her two bits in. Facepalming myself here. o_O

I pointed out that Hillary may be the most-investigated Presidential candidate in history, and yet all those investigations and millions of dollars achieved was to make Trey Gowdy look like a dumbass. I said that. Shocked silence from around the shop, but did Cindy calm down and shut the hell up? What do you think? :ROFLMAO:

I was shocked and more than a little disturbed by the discussion - 5 women, all reasonably well educated with good jobs and families, all convinced that the conspiracy nonsense coming from Trump's mouth is true! They even started talking about all the people Hillary supposedly had killed.

When I asked how they felt about Trump asking foreign governments for help to defeat a political opponent, "a President can talk to other leaders!". For political dirt? That's against the law! They didn't give a rat's patootie. It was back to endless whataboutism and how the Dems have wanted to impeach Trump since he announced his candidacy. I challenged that, but it was too noisy. The TV was on high volume and 5 people were talking at once. I realized quickly that they weren't going to change their mind, no matter what I said, and had to remind myself that I live in a deep red state and most locals would probably agree with the other women.

Nobody got visibly angry. Nobody called names. By the end of it, I parted company with a smile and a wave but wondering where I could get my hair done, now? I'm not going back to a business that parades its right wing politics in public like that. Or plays Fox News loudly in the common area. And especially a business that supports the most corrupt, inept, unlawful Presidency in our history. Mostly, it made me more determined than ever to be active again this coming campaign, whether my state ever goes blue or not. I cannot stay silent in the face of this shit storm of a President. I'm too loud about my own political convictions, and simple things like facts and demographics won't stop me from making noise. Next time I may have to change states instead of hair stylists.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
We should know that the Trump presidency wasn't created naturally. It would have died on the vine if the media hadn't artificially propped it up. Trump was a grand manipulation that backfired. He was concocted to be a horror show by those who can't see themselves and understand that they might be a bigger horror show than what they perceive to be someone's worst nightmare.

Trump is a mirror. Look at yourselves. Are you honestly better than this? Are you respectful? Do you call people names? Do you want to understand others or do you simply want to bring them to heel? If you want to understand why people support Trump, ask them. Listen. Think. Don't react.
Let's see.

Do you, or do you think you would, given the opportunity,
  • Boast of how you sexually assault people or burst into the changing rooms of teenage beauty pageants?
  • Mock disabled reporters on national TV?
  • Launder money for the Russian mafia?
  • Attack the grieving parents of a soldier killed in action?
  • Try to stop Muslims from entering the country?
  • Say of a rally by white-nationalists and a counter-demonstration that there are "good people on both sides"?
  • Tell lies all the time?
  • Boast about how avoiding taxes demonstrates how smart you are?
  • Separate children from their parents and lock them up in detention centres without adequate care and medical attention?
  • Renege on international commitments?
  • Try to persuade foreign countries to investigate your political opponents and threaten to cut off US aid if they don't?
  • Shamelessly profiteer, and allow your family to profiteer, from your position of public office?
  • Collude with attempts to manipulate US elections by hostile governments?
  • Insult and alienate your country's closest allies?
Do you honestly think you're no better than that, Aeon?

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Do you honestly think you're no better than that, Aeon?
He obviously doesn't, since Aeon must have included him (her?) self in that mirror looking act, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
There seem to be Trumpists (the majority of the R party) and traditional republicans. The latter will at least engage in a debate. While most things they would never agree with a liberal on at least they could agree on some basics (foreign interference=bad, the world is an oblate spheroid, stuff like that). Trumpists seem to just disagree on everything for the sake of disagreeing.
There's a thought I had just right now and I would like to discuss: as I remember befure Trump happened the GOP already was divided into two very much different camps, the normal GOP members (whoever that might be) and the so called Tea Party movement, who wanted to usurp the party from the inside.

To how many people of this Tea Party movement Trump appealed to? I guess there must a big intersection between Trumpists and the latter, right?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
There's a thought I had just right now and I would like to discuss: as I remember befure Trump happened the GOP already was divided into two very much different camps, the normal GOP members (whoever that might be) and the so called Tea Party movement, who wanted to usurp the party from the inside.

To how many people of this Tea Party movement Trump appealed to? I guess there must a big intersection between Trumpists and the latter, right?
The Tea Party pretty much owns the GOP now.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I found out the other day that an otherwise nice couple didn't the hall support 45. They buy into all that crap about the Democrats being worse because "free stuff" and "money for refugees". I think it's a safe bet they watch Fox. The husband also said that he'd met 45 and "her treats you like a human being". So I'm guessing they don't know from social media either.
I didn't try to explain. My dog likes them.
Dogs like everyone, so that is not a point in their favour.

Romana

SL Rez
Dogs like everyone, so that is not a point in their favour.
Apparently, they don't like 45. Or at least Ivana's poodle didn't, and the feeling was mutual, as it's obvious from his numerous bizarre "like a dog" comparisons.
Vanity Fair article said:
Donald Trump has long had a strange thing with dogs. In August of last year, the Cut pointed out that Trump invokes dogs when speaking of a person getting fired—as in “old so-and-so got fired like a dog!”—which happens often in his administration. But the dog simile is not just limited to dismissals. To the president, dogs are capable of many things, none of which are especially doglike. Begging for money, for example. Getting dumped. Feeling ungrateful. Being “thrown off.”

Trump never compared anything to a dog in a way that draws on how the animal famously is. It’s never, “He’s loyal like a dog.” There’s no, “He dug a hole and hid a bone like a dog.” And even if we suspend disbelief about what dogs are and are not capable of, the creatures have never done much good in the Trumpian universe. No one gets a raise and a title change “like a dog.” No one wins the lottery “like a dog.” No, in Trump‘s universe, dogs are hapless laborers, one bark away from losing their salaried position and their wife.

Every time he says this kind of stuff, one wonders whether he knows what a dog is exactly. There’s more evidence. You know, a person usually hates what they don’t understand, and Trump appears to hate dogs. While he was hosting The Apprentice, Trump fired Gary Busey after Busey had invented something called a “mechanical dog.” As Slate recently pointed out, Trump’s ex-wife Ivana wrote in her memoir about how much he hated her poodle Chappy, and Chappy hated Donald. He’s the only president in the last century who hasn’t kept a dog as a pet in the White House. The hate, obviously, is born of not quite getting what these dog things are.
Ivana's poodle obviously had taste.
I very much doubt that my Ziggy would like Florida Man either. He'd probably hide under the nearest piece of furniture, and rightly so.