Why can't I hear music?

Leilany LaFollette

Judges you in Spanish
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
The option is greyed out and I checked every setting I can think of.

Did I break something or is SL just being SL?

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Only things I can think of:

Preferences -> Sound & Media -> [X] Streaming music

Make sure you're on a parcel that's actually playing something.

Beezle's parcel has both media (cold war videos on the TV) and music (WW II Music) 24/7 : Fort Stygian

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL (standard viewer) blocks the sound to my Bluetooth headset since a few months.
Not only does it refuse to produce its own sound it also blocks Spotify and Yourube etc.
When I plug in to the sound card everything is fine.
When I close SL, the Bluetooth connection stands again.
There are some geniuses at work there at LL.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Fionalein

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
If I recall, LL's viewer does not use your system's sound configuration. I think I had to disable all the unused sound devices. Since I use a USB sound interface, that means disabling the onboard sound and the non-existent-but-still-identified-by-windows HDMI sound that my monitor doesn't actually have. I think my streaming software also presents a virtual audio device. A bluetooth speaker would present the same problem (you'd disable all the devices other than that one).

start menu -> sound settings (type 'sound', select sound settings) -> sound control panel (in the right-hand column under related settings)

ETA checked just now and those devices are no longer disabled, but I haven't been in SL recently so I can't tell you if the advice I just gave is good :)

But the first thing to try before disabling anything is to make sure the device you will use is selected as the default sound device. The regular Windows sound settings will still allow you to select a different device if you haven;t disabled them, but the default device may be the only one SL sees. And if making the desired device the default doesn't do the trick, try disabling all the other ones according to Clara's instructions below (right-click device in sound control panel, select 'disable').

ETA2 I think I remember how things got re-enabled. I mistakenly bought a non-USB headset and had to re-enable onboard sound to test it.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
If I recall, LL's viewer does not use your system's sound configuration. I think I had to disable all the unused sound devices. Since I use a USB sound interface, that means disabling the onboard sound and the non-existent-but-still-identified-by-windows HDMI sound that my monitor doesn't actually have. I think my streaming software also presents a virtual audio device. A bluetooth speaker would present the same problem (you'd disable all the devices other than that one).

start menu -> sound settings (type 'sound', select sound settings) -> sound control panel (in the right-hand column under related settings)
Did you have to disable them under Device Manager or just use the sound control panel?

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Did you have to disable them under Device Manager or just use the sound control panel?
I don't remember. I'm pretty sure I did that in the sound control panel, but I don't see a way to do that anymore, and at the moment the other devices are not showing as disabled, so it's possible Microsoft moved my cheese, or it's possible I am mis-remembering.

In any case, make sure the device you are going to use is the one that is selected as default.

I haven't been in SL recently so I can't say if my current setup works in SL anymore.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I don't remember. I'm pretty sure I did that in the sound control panel, but I don't see a way to do that anymore, and at the moment the other devices are not showing as disabled, so it's possible Microsoft moved my cheese, or it's possible I am mis-remembering.
Should be able to right-click disable in sound panel as long as the device isn't set to default.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Should be able to right-click disable in sound panel as long as the device isn't set to default.
Thanks. Not currently showing as disabled, so I don't know what happened (ETA now I remember, I re-enabled onboard sound to test a non-USB headset) or if sound in SL still works. SOmething to try if sound isn't working in SL.

I'm reluctant to launch SL anymore because I have another problem where my video card will not idle after running SL, and the only solution to that is to reinstall video drivers.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If I recall, LL's viewer does not use your system's sound configuration. I think I had to disable all the unused sound devices.
That would explain why I ended up deleting all my other sound interfaces while I messed around in Windows trying to make SL consistently use my headset (dammit).

Why does Windows allow programs to ignore the configuration?

Leilany LaFollette

Judges you in Spanish
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Only things I can think of:

Preferences -> Sound & Media -> [X] Streaming music

Make sure you're on a parcel that's actually playing something.

Beezle's parcel has both media (cold war videos on the TV) and music (WW II Music) 24/7 : Fort Stygian
All of that is checked and I was a club, other people could hear the music. I tp'ed in and out, relogged and it didn't work. I am not sure what else to look at.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
The option is greyed out and I checked every setting I can think of.

Did I break something or is SL just being SL?
Which Operating System and which viewer.
If I recall, LL's viewer does not use your system's sound configuration.
Depends on the OS, I think. On Linux it does, I have per-application control of which audio sink any application uses. I as an example using SL: Send UI audio to my monitors speakers with HDMI, streaming audio to an analog headset, and then voice to a USB headset. Or if I wanted, I could send ALL sources, to ALL sinks.

I'm reluctant to launch SL anymore because I have another problem where my video card will not idle after running SL, and the only solution to that is to reinstall video drivers.
Probably an SL process is refusing to exit, check Task Manager.

Why does Windows allow programs to ignore the configuration?
Probably because it's supposed to work how it does on Linux, total control of where your audio goes on-the-fly.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
My SL output device is set to "default", which I expect to be the output I select in Windows, but it acts like it's set to random. It even picked devices (like my monitor) with no speakers, or ports with no speakers or headset plugged in.

High Fidelity on the other hand reliably let me select my Oddysey if it was in use, or my regular headsets if my HMD was not plugged in.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Sid

Leilany LaFollette

Judges you in Spanish
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Which Operating System and which viewer.
I should have mentioned that, sorry. I have Windows 10 and am using Firestorm. I am used to things being fine one day and completely unusable the next, but I can usually figure out what went wrong. This time, I haven't :p

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I expect benjabelw doesn't even know what Second Life is based on his av, first post, and talk about "installing" Second Life.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts