Who views all those SL fashion blogs.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I am a bit curious. SL fashion seems to be all about bloggers and their influence on other people. But when I chat with my online SL friends they never are a topic. So who actually reads all the blogs? Is there an incestous subculture of bloggers and blogger-wannabes who live in their own bloggosphere filter bubble of self attributed importance or am I just missing a thing here?

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
SL fashion seems to be all about bloggers and their influence on other people. But when I chat with my online SL friends they never are a topic.
Depends on what kind of people and communities you hang out with.

So who actually reads all the blogs? Is there an incestous subculture of bloggers and blogger-wannabes who live in their own bloggosphere filter bubble of self attributed importance
Yes!
or am I just missing a thing here?
Not really missing much. There were only a handful of fashion bloggers I followed, most of them oldbies. And there are even fewer that I trusted implicitly as reviewers. (points to Salome). In the past year or so I only visited Strawberry's and Gogo's (Juicybomb) blogs. If you find one that you like, it's good, but you can follow groups, talk to friends and look at pixel vanity pics on flickr. Goddess I miss the old days when the blogger/designer culture was less incestuous....there was still self-atributed self-importance though! (I should know, having it myself. ha ha ha ha) I don't blog anymore, though I do post pics to flickr now and then.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Pancake

Milly

I used to read iheartsl blog feed but I haven't in awhile, I usually just go to Flickr and check out pictures and if I like something and there are details on the blog check it out (and then scroll through to see what's there). I found that on Flickr I would often see items that I wouldn't see on the feeds or just randomly looking at blogs. I use it to get ideas and find new products. But it's kind of like anything else, if you aren't into that then it doesn't seem important or you don't see people using it.

There's lots of stuff in SL I get excited about or enjoy and then find out there's people who have no idea about whatever it is. Like Fantasy Faire, I was excited it's opening today and last night I was with people who had never heard of it. And i've met other people who don't know about Tinies and then , based on the virtual secrets site, there are a lot of people who feel that their stuff is super important and I've never heard of half the people or locations or whatever they are talking about.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pancake

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I used to read iheartsl blog feed but I haven't in awhile, I usually just go to Flickr and check out pictures and if I like something and there are details on the blog check it out (and then scroll through to see what's there). I found that on Flickr I would often see items that I wouldn't see on the feeds or just randomly looking at blogs. I use it to get ideas and find new products. But it's kind of like anything else, if you aren't into that then it doesn't seem important or you don't see people using it.
i did the same back in the day... these days if it catches my attention on flickr or one of those sl facebook groups i'll investigate deeper... Generally i'll end up go to Seraphim to see the latest events and pictures since most of what trendy or blogged about usually comes from an event being held somewhere these days.. Seraphim | Your premier Second Life™ shopping resource

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Is there an incestous subculture of bloggers and blogger-wannabes who live in their own bloggosphere filter bubble of self attributed importance or am I just missing a thing here?
I don't know the answer to your first question but the answer to this one is yes. That's the nature of blogging and podcasting and Youtube channels and Reddit and most social media. Far more material is produced in a day than a person can follow so we group around categories of interest. You're not missing anything if you're not curious about the content or particularly want to socialize with people who are. I believe the reason we see so much reference to fashion blogs here is because they're often discussing not only fashion but interface, building, and scripting aspects that interest us for reasons other than how they're applied to our inworld appearance.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Cristalle and Free

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most SL blogs are hardly ever read by anyone.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Actually, from what I can tell during my former foray into blogging, quite a lot of SL Fashionistas look to the blogs and fashion bloggers. My blog wasn't all that great, and even I had okay traffic for what it was. The ones who actually invest time and real effort into it seem to have a lot of readers.

Dragon

Rawr.
Do people actually read blogs or just look at the pictures to see if they want things? Because is that really reading if all you're doing is looking for keyword "hair" and a link?

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
"Read" is a relative term when it comes to SL fashion blogs. Many of them, if not most, are mainly photos with credits/links for the items in the photo.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aki and Aeon Jiminy

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I think people only check blogs if they need to look up something in the credits. I used to read a lot of SL blogs, even fashion ones before the whole 'event every day' and sponsorships happened. Does anyone remember the time shops asked popular bloggers to showcase items and not the other way around ;)? I am sure there is honest fashion review blogs somewhere as I'd love one where there is negative opinions :D . However, I know those who do youtube are not necessarily from the content creator's circle or so I heard.

Aeon Jiminy

I have a quick routine that I go through pretty much daily. News SL , MESHFORMEN. , and then scan "newest" items in marketplace for topics of interest such as hair, clothing, avatar components, and builds. It's a bit of a chore, but less suffocating than random event shopping or having "friends". That's kind of a joke, but not really.

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez
I read Skell Dagger's blog fairly regularly but that's the only one. I should maybe look at womens' blogs more often.

Nobody reads mine, but I'm not really "fashion blogging" - I blog what I found that I like, not what's new.

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Nobody reads mine, but I'm not really "fashion blogging" - I blog what I found that I like, not what's new.
If all fashion blogging was about was what's new, why would they all have archives? :kittyball:

• 2LOL
Reactions: Sid and Maitimo

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
I look at a few but mostly I just neglect mine and wish I blogged more, not because I think mine would be such a valuable thing, but because I enjoy it when I’m in the mood and the more I write, the more I want to write. I look at SL travel blogs most. And people who have tutorials on things. I like vlogs more as a format, I feel like I’m going along. Entertain me! 🤣

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
I used to read a few, but nowadays everyone and their dog (and me) has a blog. I suspect some of them were just set up in an attempt to get free stuff, but I don't know whether that actually works.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
I too am surprised that there seems to be an abundance of fashion blogs. The only fashion/event blogs I visit regularly are Seraphim and The Saturday Sale. I follow brands and photographers I like on Flickr. If I see something I like there, I cross my fingers that the user has included credits in the post or in a link to their blog. I love SL fashion and shopping, but I'm not that interested in all the latest things. My shopping is largely around the search for a particular item because I've got a look in mind that I'd like to achieve.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I never read sl fashion blogs.
I'm still looking for one or two nice suits for a reasonable price, but I guess I will stumble over them inworld in the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan
I am a bit curious. SL fashion seems to be all about bloggers and their influence on other people. But when I chat with my online SL friends they never are a topic. So who actually reads all the blogs? Is there an incestous subculture of bloggers and blogger-wannabes who live in their own bloggosphere filter bubble of self attributed importance or am I just missing a thing here?
I do, mostly through their Flickr links. I'm really into SL fashion and avatar customization, though.