Who has the better human avatars? Second Life or IMVU?

Adeon Writer

Hey now. Don't dis my pretty cranium.
Nah you look good. Your head is proportional and can contain a full human brain. But when you see a human head shape that looks like it must contain a mishapen brain, it triggers the creepy vibes that something isn't right.

Also, the purple honestly helps? If there was any uncanny, different colored skin eliminates it in the same way having an animal face does. It just sidesteps the issue.

"This doesn't feel human" -> "This obviously isn't human."

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Nah you look good. Your head is proportional and can contain a full human brain. But when you see a human head shape that looks like it must contain a mishapen brain, it triggers the creepy vibes that something isn't right.

Also, the purple honestly helps? If there was any uncanny, different colored skin eliminates it in the same way having an animal face does. It just sidesteps the issue.

I've tried being human, but it never looks right to me, being some sort of off-colored fantasy thing offsets the uncanny valley.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Huh, IMVU has regular looking avatars. Didn't they used to have funky cartoon avatars with big heads?
Yeah, heads were larger than normal but not quite to Billy Quizboy levels. Same with feet. Now they look way better an who knows, another 10 years an maybe they'll figure out how to sync animations. No seriously, watch their official trailers. Bike pedals move at a way different speed than the legs that are pedaling them. It is worse in world given you see the animation for way longer than a few seconds.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Noodles

Adeon Writer

No seriously, watch their official trailers. Bike pedals move at a way different speed than the legs that are pedaling them. It is worse in world given you see the animation for way longer than a few seconds.
In all fairness you can't really do that in SL well either. I don't know why we can't have foot IK targets.

And real life friend constantly yells at me for having a run cycle on the walk slot of my AO, even though that makes the feet sync up with the ground movement much better, she's gotten used to the sight of everyone gliding forward while they do a walk cycle too slow for their rapid velocity. It's one of those "Distinctly SL" things you just stop seeing after a while, but is dead obvious and broken-looking to anyone from the outside.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts

Sadly I can only give you the human version of that pic on halloween!
(I run around as a pure hoo-man on halloween on SL :D)

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I'm really not one to talk about avatar choice but... I always hated how Second Life humans look. Their foreheads are too small and their eyes are too far up on their head. It's always looked terrible. Like aliens with flesh-colored skin.
Typically a person's eye level is about half-way from the top of their head to the point of their chin although that obviously varies a bit between individuals. It's perfectly possible to achieve that proportion in SL, even with a 'system' avatar.

If people customise their avatars to have unrealistic proportions, then I guess that's all part of "your world, your imagination".

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Typically a person's eye level is about half-way from the top of their head to the point of their chin although that obviously varies a bit between individuals. It's perfectly possible to achieve that proportion in SL, even with a 'system' avatar.

If people customise their avatars to have unrealistic proportions, then I guess that's all part of "your world, your imagination".
Also if they want to have boobs an actual human being couldn't even stand up with, and a butt that wouldn't fit through many doors. Theur choice.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Also if they want to have boobs an actual human being couldn't even stand up with, and a butt that wouldn't fit through many doors.
Whale avatars can be pretty cool.

What?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Sean Gorham

Madi Perth

SL Rez
I'm really not one to talk about avatar choice but... I always hated how Second Life humans look. Their foreheads are too small and their eyes are too far up on their head. It's always looked terrible. Like aliens with flesh-colored skin.
It's all about how much money and time you put into your avatar. The more money you are willing to spend, and the more time you put into it the better your avatar can look. Talent also has a lot to play in to it. I have a friend in SL that put so much time in her standard SL avatar that if you really didn't pay attention you would swear she was a high priced mesh AV.