Which Overused Word Would You Banish To Hell?

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

it's like, just like... it's likeable, but like, not likeable... ya know like?
Problem is, you can hardly get rid of the word like. The issue is a misuse of the word, not an overuse of it.

Unless you can train everyone to start using something like enjoy/enjoyable in its place?

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
How could anyone play bridge then? 🤔
Unless "no trump" is exempt.

Oh, and as for words that should be banished, if words that aren't real words count, "irregardless".

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Problem is, you can hardly get rid of the word like. The issue is a misuse of the word, not an overuse of it.

Unless you can train everyone to start using something like enjoy/enjoyable in its place?
"it sparks joy" is an acceptable alternative :p

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I agree with Kara. It's the words that are created or misused, and which are typically used in place of an existing word, which annoy me most.

I grok use of slang used by a subculture, but see no valid reason for management to do likewise.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In the example, "like" is not used as a word. It is functioning as a hesitation noise. It does not carry meaning, it lengthens a sentence as a filler in the same way "um" does.
Thanks for the 'splaining, but the Q is overused words you'd banish, not word use that annoys the fuck out of you.