Which Hand do you use?

Which hand is your primary hand(from Birth)?

• Total voters

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I've tried that, makes my handwriting look like drunken chicken scratches.

Yet again my handwriting varies wildly from what pen/pencil I'm using, how high/low my elbow is resting and if my hand is at the edge of the paper or notebook. Seriously right handed people don't know how good they have it when it comes to writing.

Try Hebrew, it's written right to left.

• 1Like
Reactions: Lady Darnk Juniorette

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Try Hebrew, it's written right to left.
I just stick to using a computer for most of my writing. Costs more than a pencil or pen, but I don't have to learn a completely new language, and then hope everyone I know does the same.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
I’m a leftie from birth, but I can do most things with either hand including write though it’s messy unless I’m drawing letters. I can use several pen grips depending on what kind I’m using. I use hobonichi books so I tend to write very tiny.
Or very big if I’m drawing letters!
I’ve never tried using a mouse left-handed and I’ve always thought that arrangement was an odd choice because righties have to let go of the mouse to write and I can click-click and scribble at the same time.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
I'm left handed and right eyed (don't see out my left eye!), which makes aiming at anything fucking ridiculous...

In school i was called cack handed as i couldn't hit balls with bats or catch balls very well. Close up distance calculations are much slower for me as my brain has to take forget about my left eye info and re calculate what it thinks my left eye should see and relay that info to my hands and right eye! IT's not the hand that's cacky, it's the eye :p

I've been a calligraphy artist for years and managed to never smudge writing with my left, i don't curl round, i position my wrist underneath the line of writing. I can right easily right to left in mirror writing and have no problem writing upside down too.

I use a mouse in my left hand, but still choose to use the left and right buttons as designed rather than swappign them

Left handed scissors are anoying for me as i need to see the cut with my right eye not my left. So i tend to use right handed scissors in my left hand.

:)

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
Also a pie voter because it's complicated for me too...

It wasn't as extreme for me as it was for Rode but like most kids of my generation I was taught to be right-handed whether I was or not, so assumed I actually was until testing during a university neurophysiology course showed that I was naturally left-dominant (left hand, left eye). I've since become functionally ambidextrous although I still appear to be mostly right handed thanks to habit. For most little stuff I use whichever hand is most convenient at the time but I'm still a right-handed writer, guitarist, archer or shooter - although the left-dominant eye means I need what they call an "across-eyed stock" on a shotgun. (With a bow or two-element sights I can compensate, effectively "consciously selecting" the right-eye image, but it doesn't work so well tracking a 12-bore onto a target in flight)

Lewis Luminos

The Gingerbeard Man
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I am right handed and have been from birth. As far as I know, there aren't any lefties in my family at all. The only exception is painting on an easel, which I can do equally well with either hand (when one arm gets tired I swap). However, I can't paint or draw left handed if the paper is flat on a table.

Benjamin Opel

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
March, 2010
SLU Posts

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I stroke with the left and rub and fondle with the right, it's the two hand technique.
The left fingers can also be used other places *cough* while the right is busy. Or so I've heard.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I'm very much left handed for most things. It is no inconvenience usually. Scissors can be a pain but I don't use scissors all that often.

I learned how to use a mouse well into adulthood at work. It was often placed on the right side of the keyboard so that is how I learned to use it. Left or right is fine with me for day to day office stuff. Action games are another matter. I have to use the mouse left handed. I need to map the WASD keys to the arrows. Then there are other keys that need to be remapped depending on the game. Sometimes they can't be which is highly annoying. Also I haven't seen a game yet that saves the key mappings based on the character since I often switch off with my best friend who is right handed and plays a different character. The key mappings are messed up for one of us.

I wipe my butt with my right hand. Don't right handed people do it with the left?

I can't write at all with my right hand. If I try very slowly I can write non cursive that's barely legible.

Some left handed people restring their guitars the opposite way. No on that for me. I don't like that idea. Both hands need dexterity. If I restrung it then I would never be able to use guitars I don't own.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
I'm right handed by nature but after piano lessons from the age of five and several teenage months with my right right in a cast I'm rather ambidexterous.

Reading the post here I'm rather shocked btw. I don't know how when people here went to elementary school of course but I assume it wasn't as early as 19th century. So in what kind of barbaric, primitive country can teachers get away with forcing left-handed children to write right-handed???

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I'm right handed by nature but after piano lessons from the age of five and several teenage months with my right right in a cast I'm rather ambidexterous.

Reading the post here I'm rather shocked btw. I don't know how when people here went to elementary school of course but I assume it wasn't as early as 19th century. So in what kind of barbaric, primitive country can teachers get away with forcing left-handed children to write right-handed???
America. The land of the free and the home of the early indoctrinated.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
America. The land of the free and the home of the early indoctrinated.
Oh.

I've worked as a teacher for more years than I admit to have lived but I've never even heard of something like that before - except in history books and grimm tales from the past of course. I'm not sure what would happen if a Norwegian teacher tried to force left handed pupils to switch. It would certainly count as child abuse but the teacher would probably be given a warning at first and only be fired if they kept doing it.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Pie. Saying "from birth" confuses things for a lot of us as there is a lot of pressure to use your right hand when you are a kid. I am partially ambidextrous (ie, I spent years only using my right) so joke I did it as a backup. To which a friend commented it sounds like something I would do.

• 1Pie
Reactions: Tigar

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I have to say it's a pleasant surprise to see this forum is unusually sinister in more ways than one.

• 1ROFL
  • 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Tigar, Maitimo and Govi

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I’m mostly right handed, but I did have to get used to using my left hand after breaking my right collar bone 🦴 when I was 15. For years after that I’d smoke 🚬 left handed and do most other stuff right handed.

ETA: I voted 🗳 pie 🥧.

Last edited: